PDA

View Full Version : Selling woodworking items on EBAY

Bob Weisner
01-09-2004, 1:00 PM
Hi.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of woodworking items sell good on EBAY? I was thinking of making some things and selling them on EBAY , but I am not sure what to make. I was thinking of somethng small, End table size or smaller that does not require alot of materials , yet still bring a decent price. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

Mark Patoka
01-09-2004, 3:21 PM
Bob,
I've sold a few wood items on EBay and did OK price wise. I sold some military challenge coin holders so they were geared toward more of a niche market. I've actually been able to sell more of them for a slightly higher price through my website as most people are looking for a good deal pricewise on EBay.

I would recommend monitoring some of the sales for items you're thinking of making and see what type of prices they get and if it's viable for you. Also take into consideration shipping the items and any special crating requirements you might have. Shipping can add a considerable cost that might make the total cost of your item higher than "market value" and turn away bidders. I know I factor that in when I bid.

It doesn't hurt to test the market by putting items for sale on EBay. Just set your reserve price low enough to attract bidders but high enough to get close to the minimum price you'll accept.

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-09-2004, 4:50 PM
Bob, I have sold and bought many things on Ebay over the past several years, and Ebay is a funny critter. Some things will bring prices you just cannot believe, and other things that you think would be hot items will not even get a bid. For example, before the Holidays, I posted 2 Pens I had turned on Ebay, and started the bidding VERY low, and these items did not get a single bid. (that was a first for me there) I relisted them, which they allow you to do for free if the item does not sell, and the second time around, still no bids. Strange, but now I know that Hand Turned Pens, even with very nice Exotic Wood, will not sell on Ebay. The thing to consider, like Mark mentioned, is the starting price, which should be low to attract bids, and the cost of shipping the item. Most folks consider the shipping to be part of the purchase price, and a gauge of the overall price they pay, so that will deter some bidders. Personally, I do not bid on Auctions with a reserve price, and Ebay will tell you that many others don't as well. Just a few things to consider..........the only way to be sure is to do a search on Ebay of the item or items you have in mind and see how others are doing. If it is unique enough, and there is a demand, it will sell, for a fair price. Good Luck, and let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Julie Wright
01-09-2004, 10:10 PM
What are the costs involved with selling an item on eBay?

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-09-2004, 10:35 PM
Julie, Ebay has a listing fee, based on the price that the item is listed for. But, they also charge a fee depending on what the item sells for. All that information is available at the Ebay Website. The rates have gone up a few times in the past year or so, and it is not nearly the deal to sell things that it once was. But, it hasn't slowed the sellers down much..................there is anything and everything you can think of for sale there.............and if you are informed, you can sometimes get a deal. Just take a look at Lumber sometime.................there are always TONS of it for sale...................all sizes and flavors! ;)