PDA

View Full Version : Turning willow

Jeff Bower
06-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Hello all, new to the forum, (registered that is) as I have browse here for quite some time. My Mother-in-law has some willow trees that need to be cut down at her cabin and she wants to know if I want the wood.

Have any of you ever turned willow? If so what form/finish. Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
06-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Welcome to the Creek Jeff!

Don't have an answer for you but will be watching this thread as my wife has a co-worker with a willow that he wants me to come over and remove. Haven't worked with willow yet - so am looking forward to finding out how it turns.

Keith Burns
06-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Welcome to the Creek Jeff !! Won't find a better place anywhere.

I have never turned willow so I can't help you with that but I'm sure you will hear from some that have.

Jeff Bower
06-08-2007, 11:58 AM
If you have turned willow....please ad pics of your success/failures.

TYLER WOOD
06-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Have not personally turned any willow, but have turned elm. Thay have the same interlocking grain and close to the same hardness. BEWARE OF THE WARP MONSTER. Let this wood wither dry naturally or leave plenty of thickness to be able to true up afer the piece has dried after initial turning. It has beautiful grain, but is hard to keep from cracking and warping. Good luck!

Mike Vickery
06-08-2007, 1:36 PM
I have never turned it but I have heard it is not one of the most desireable turning woods. If it was me I would definately grab a couple hunks to try it.
http://www.reincarnatedtrees.com/id3.html
This guy has several willow pieces on his site.

John Shuk
06-08-2007, 1:45 PM
Many people turn it with good results. I have some that is pretty dry by now but I have never never turned it. The weight change is extraordinary from wet to dry.

Kim Ford
06-08-2007, 1:49 PM
Jeff this is my experience;

With willow or some of the elms that I have turned the growth lines can sometimes be very far apart, they are fast growing trees. If you do get them past the WARP stage, and now with DNA you may be able to do so, you really have a challange with the final cuts and finish. The actual growth line has a quite a different hardness than the space in between so a lot of care, patience and cutting rather than sanding or scraping is requried.

I would say go for it, the end result can be pretty cool. Be sure and post us a picture of however it turns.

Jeff Bower
06-08-2007, 1:56 PM
http://www.reincarnatedtrees.com/id3.html
This guy has several willow pieces on his site.

Mike, I haven't seen the trees yet....hope they have some burl like on that site your provided.

Jim Becker
06-08-2007, 4:24 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Jeff.

I turned a few small knobs from willow a few years ago with success, but nothing "substantial". It was quite beautiful, however.

Bob Hallowell
06-08-2007, 8:07 PM
Jeff I turned a peice of willow burl, it turned very nice

Bob

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55526

Bernie Weishapl
06-08-2007, 9:22 PM
Willow will actually turn pretty nice. Key is hone sharp tools. I tried Ron Kents method of soaking rough outs for 2 or 3 days in dishwashing liquid and water. Willow and cottonwood actually turn pretty nice after they have dried.

Curt Fuller
06-08-2007, 10:40 PM
The willow that I've turned has been pretty stringy. I've had the best results roughing it while its green and then letting it dry a long time, longer than most woods. Once it's dry it turns and sands pretty nice. It can have some great color and character in the older wood in parts of the trunk near the ground.

Chip Sutherland
06-08-2007, 11:10 PM
I got a cutoff piece from Mike Mastin at Curly Woods. I turned a small HF, a small pedestal bowl and one a sexy little weed pot. I was wonderful, beautiful wood. Reminded me of cherry but more colorful. Smell was wonderful, too. I'd love to get some more.

PS....Welcome aboard. Sit 'n' spin a while.