PDA

View Full Version : Old Craftsman Bandsaw - OK for a newbie?

Lance Sones
06-08-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm just getting started in woodworking and this seems like it would fit my needs. Anyone have any experience with this particular saw?

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/tls/346705009.html

Andy Fox
06-08-2007, 2:24 PM
Looks like it's probably a three-wheel model, and these often have difficulties with blade tracking and breaking. If you're going to get a small bandsaw, get a two wheel model.

Bruce Page
06-08-2007, 3:47 PM
Lance, a friend has one and is happy with it. About the only drawback I can see is the limited resaw height.
For 85 bucks you can't go too far wrong.

Bart Leetch
06-08-2007, 3:55 PM
That is a 2 wheel model where the head tilts & the table stays stationary. My friend used to have one & said his worked fairly good & was a lot easier to use because of the table staying flat & being bigger.

He has since purchased a bigger saw.

Lance Sones
06-08-2007, 4:11 PM
Thanks guys -

This is the only tool I've seen on craigslist for about 6 months, Santa Fe or Abq.; that I could afford and use.

It'll cost almost half that in gas so I may go for the Sears 21400 if it ever comes back in stock.

Dunno - maybe he'll drop his price...I'll ask

glenn bradley
06-08-2007, 4:22 PM
I own that exact saw. I have the owner's manual if you run into a need for it. I paid $80 and it's worth about that. You'll want some Timberwolf blades right off the bat. That's the only thing that kept me from sending the saw down the highway.

Don't get me wrong, for $85 I think it will do some work for you and teach you what you want in a bandsaw. Mine had about 20 hours on it when I bought it and I've used it quite a lot over the last couple years.

Things I've learned (these should not effect your decision if your BS budget is $85, the saw is worth that)

I want a quick tension release.
I need more re-saw height.
I need more power.
I need a sturdy frame.

There you go, just like that the price of my desired saw jumped to at least $750. ;-)

Jay Keller
06-08-2007, 4:33 PM
I'm just getting started in woodworking and this seems like it would fit my needs. Anyone have any experience with this particular saw?

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/tls/346705009.html

Yes. Its not worth $75.

Jeff Miller
06-08-2007, 5:43 PM
I used to have one,not too bad of a saw.

If you get it make sure you oil the motor,kinda hard to get at but make sure you do this. I got rid of mine because I thought the motor was going bad. ( I didn't oil mine:eek: )

JEFF;)

Steve Kohn
06-08-2007, 6:00 PM
I had that exact same model. Used it a lot for small stuff, but eventually found it too wimpy to do any kind of resawing with. Sold it to my SIL when I upgraded to a Grizzley 513. He now uses it for cardboard and styrofoam when he and buddies build cardboard their boats. You know the drill. A bunch of guys get together with big sheets of of cardboard, some paint, paddles and a lot of beer. Then they race against other teams. Everyone gets wet when the "boats" sink.

That is the best application that saw is capable of IMHO.

Lance Sones
06-08-2007, 6:23 PM
You know the drill. A bunch of guys get together with big sheets of of cardboard, some paint, paddles and a lot of beer. Then they race against other teams. Everyone gets wet when the "boats" sink.

ROTFL

It's half a days drive to the nearest lake - but this motivates me :D

Clint Winterhalter
06-08-2007, 8:51 PM
Lance,
For $85 it looks like a good place to start!
I'm an old sears guy and sold bunch of those saws. I don't remember getting very many complaints on them. The saws head tilts leaving the table level at all times. Get it, buy some decent blades and spend some time fine tuning it.
You might want to upgrade down the road for all the reason everyone else has already stated. But for $85 I don't see how you could go to wrong with this one (provided the motor works!!)

Good Luck!

Clint