PDA

View Full Version : Panel-Raising bits with a 2-1/4 hp router

Brian Kent
06-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Can I use a 3-3/8" bit with a 2-1/4 hp router?

What I have read so far puts me right on the borderline. I understand that I would need to turn the router down to 10,000 rpm and take off 1/16" or so on a pass.

In your experience, can I do this? If not, what would you use. If the answer is "get a bigger router", I'll hear that a few years from now

I'm still new to the world of good routing. I got a refurbished Porter Cable 892 on Amazon for $119, improved my table and added a good home-made fence.

I'll be using the bit for one-piece at a time cabinet making, with domestic hardwoods. Speed is not an issue for me. A smooth quality cut is what I'm after.

John Lucas
06-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Yes, you can. Take it s low and listen to your router. If you hear it strain, ease up. You could also use a vertical panel raising bit.

Tim Malyszko
06-08-2007, 11:14 AM
I have no issues using my 2.25 HP router with the panel raising bits. I take off very little material each pass. With that being said, I will eventually buy a new PC 7518 router just for the router table and use the smaller router for hand routing, but for now, the 2.25 HP router serves my needs.

scott spencer
06-08-2007, 12:01 PM
If you'll be spinning the big panel bits often, I'd consider getting the bigger router, but for occasional panels your current router should be fine with light passes.

glenn bradley
06-08-2007, 12:32 PM
The method you describe should work. I prefer to set the bit at the desired height and use the fence to step into the final cut. Some folks start at full depth and adjust the height.

Brian Kent
06-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Any experiences with the vertical panel-raising bits?

Tim Malyszko
06-08-2007, 1:04 PM
The method you describe should work. I prefer to set the bit at the desired height and use the fence to step into the final cut. Some folks start at full depth and adjust the height.

Glenn,

That sounds like a much easier method than to adjust the bit height, especially without a lift. I will give that a try next time I make raised panels.

Jay Keller
06-08-2007, 3:32 PM
I use a 3hp router and a 3.5 carbide raised panel bit that is part of a cabinet set from Harbor Freight. The set cost $20 and is identical to the 60-$120 sets you buy elsewhere. Only difference is the logo on the box and the 1000% markup. Same OEM makes for all

Brian Kent
06-08-2007, 4:15 PM
I just remembered I have a 3" opening in my router base. I guess I would have to stay with 2-1/2" panel raising bits, which take less power anyway.

I could picture mounting the 3-3/8" bit over the table with a 1/4 to 1/2" "sacrificial surface" clamped down over the real table top.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-08-2007, 5:35 PM
I use a 3hp router and a 3.5 carbide raised panel bit that is part of a cabinet set from Harbor Freight. The set cost $20 and is identical to the 60-$120 sets you buy elsewhere. Only difference is the logo on the box and the 1000% markup. Same OEM makes for all

Actually there is a whole lot of difference. I have a cheap set and a good set and you really notice it big time when you get to compare 'em in a linear real time fashion. It's a monstrous difference.

The expensive Whiteside bits are worth every penny. However I have a box of those cheap bits they sell in the suitcase at trade shows. They may be cheapos but the variety has proved useful.

Brian Kent
06-08-2007, 7:40 PM
Yes, I am glad for Jay that he does work that works with a really well-priced item.

Something that big and that fast, I'll go for Whiteside (or other top-rated panel raiser), even if it cost 1000% more. Then I am also buying Woodcraft's 10 bits for $43 - for variety / learning / testing.

If I get the Whiteside Medium Panel Raiser plus the Rail & Stile at Bairdbrothers, that will cost about $152 + shipping.

Brian Gumpper
06-09-2007, 12:21 AM

I wouldn't be 100% sure about that. I would bet that $20 set may use recycled carbide and not have silver braising for the carbide tips. Tolererances and runout may not be as good either but may not be an issue.

There are many factories in Asia all copying each other and each of them offers different quality of product. They'll give you as good as you ask for or as poor as you'll allow them to send.

But if the $20 set works for you, then nothing wrong with it.