PDA

View Full Version : Got the other cabinet done for the shop.

Bill Huber
06-08-2007, 9:18 AM
I got the other shop cabinet finished and set in place, man does it hold a lot of stuff. (the right one)

The first one. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58320

On this one I made a large bottom drawer and made the spacing between the drawers much closer. Not only does it look better but I picked up more room in each drawer. The drawer fronts are installed much better, they are all lined up and square.
Both are free standing and completely enclosed, no more dust on my tools.
This one came out better all around, I guess that is the way it should be each one gets a little better. The second one is spot on square, each drawer is square and the main cabinet is square. I had a little problem on the first one at glue up keeping the drawers square and 3 of them were a 1/16th off.

I am sure that most of you here don't realize it but it is the little things that you say in your post that really help newbies like me. Those little details make so much difference.

Again thanks to all ........

Both are the same color but the lighting was not as good on the right side.

Don Bullock
06-08-2007, 9:23 AM
Congratulations Bill. Both look great to me.

Ron Fritz
06-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Very nicely done Bill. Both cabinets look great. Ron

Jay Keller
06-08-2007, 11:19 AM
the drawers seem kind of short to be really useful for the big and odd shaped things in the shop

Mario Lucchesi
06-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Very nice work. And every time you open it to get a tool out you can apreciate the workmanship. Enjoy.

Bill Huber
06-08-2007, 12:35 PM
the drawers seem kind of short to be really useful for the big and odd shaped things in the shop

These cabinets are mostly for the smaller things, the drawers are 5 1/2 inches deep and have a clearance for 6 inches which holds everything I want them for really well. I have small bins that are 5 1/2 inches high so they fit just right.
The bottom drawer on the new one is 9 inches and it holds some of my hand power tools that I don't use that much like my Drill Dr., elect. drill and things of this type.
I am going to make some cabinets with doors on them to hold some of my larger things like the skill saw, nail guns, router bases, jig saw and things of this type. Right now those things are kept in the plastic cases that come with them.

Bill Huber
06-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Very nice work. And every time you open it to get a tool out you can apreciate the workmanship. Enjoy.

Very true and some times I just open them to see how nice they work.
This has been a real mile stone for me in that I have just never been able to work with wood and have anything come out very good at all.

So I do spend a lot of time just opening them and looking at them in some what disbelieve that I did it.

Kim Spence
06-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Nice work Bill. I built something similar (though not near as attractive as yours) and these "short" drawers are just the ticket for neatly holding all the small (and even some larger) tools we woodworkers seem to accumulate - rules, squares, chisels, bits, blades, planes, stones, etc. I also added dividers in a couple of these "short" drawers for holding my assortment of screws, nails, brads, and other misc. hardware.

Jay - The suitability of the piece to the storage needs of the user can only be determined by the user. I'm sure Bill designed these drawers to be the depth they are based on the type of stuff he planned to store in them. You're comments seem out of place given you don't have any idea what Bill plans to store in them. You may choose to build deeper drawers for your shop but that doesn't mean Bill's drawers are too "short to be really useful".

Again, great work Bill.

James Manning
06-08-2007, 2:20 PM
Bill,

The cabinets look great and as long they meet your needs that is all that matters. Do not let Jay bother you as he had something similar to say about my shop cabinets, he is merely a confused troll running around.

Enjoy your new cabinets and keep the pictures coming........:)

Brian Clevenger
06-09-2007, 12:20 PM
xxx

On the topic, I like! Perhaps a project for my shop if I ever get the "honey-do" list caught up.

glenn bradley
06-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Those look great. I also love the feeling of doing something I've done before and getting a little bit better at it.