PDA

View Full Version : Sanding interiors of deep vessels

Ken Fitzgerald
06-07-2007, 10:25 PM
I just turned my first (as John Hart would say it) vaaaase. It's a rather plain shape.....3 1/2" wide opening ...about 6 " deep.......How do you folks sand the bottoms....or do I go buy some black acryilc paint to cover the poor sanding job. I've got the sides fairly well sanded but the bottom is being a booger.....

Lee DeRaud
06-07-2007, 10:28 PM
If I can't reach it to sand it, nobody can reach it to feel it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Bernie Weishapl
06-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Ken I take a 8 1/2 X 11 sheet and cut it into quarters. I then take a dowel rod and cut a 3" slit in the middle of it on one end. I stick one edge of the sand paper in there and roll up the paper on the dowel. Turn the lathe on, hold the paper so it won't unroll, start it into the hole and sand the bottom plus the sides. Actually works pretty good. Got that from Raffan and I can't remember the other one right now.

Dennis Peacock
06-07-2007, 10:35 PM
You mean we're "supposed" to sand the inside of a vaaaase??? :rolleyes: :p

Mark Cothren
06-07-2007, 10:48 PM
I power sand using an extension on my drill to hold the sanding pad/disks.

Keith Burns
06-07-2007, 10:57 PM

Me too.................

Ken Fitzgerald
06-07-2007, 11:43 PM

You mean I need ANOTHER tool? She's gonna like this................:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Bob Hallowell
06-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Ken, I mount my sanding pad on my hollowing tool and use it

Bob

Dennis Peacock
06-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Of course you could always line it with camo duct tape. It hides almost anything. :p :rolleyes:

Jeffrey Fusaro
06-08-2007, 9:43 AM
i use the sandpaper that has the foam backing. it's about 6" wide. i cut a 3" strip and wrap it over the end of a tool handle and hold it in place with tape. since the end and sides of the tool are covered with sandpaper, i can sand the sides and bottom of the bowl, er... vaaase, i mean.

additional clarification:

i used a small rubber mallet with a long handle for this. the head of the mallet makes for a good grip rather than just a tool with a straight shaft - like a turning tool. nothing sharp to get injured on, either.

also, you can use the tool rest to hold the mallet shaft while you are sanding. takes some of the work out of it.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-08-2007, 4:29 PM
I know of a turner who runs his lathe at very slow RPM, and uses small stones that he places inside the turning, they slowly tumble the interior surface smooth...runs it for an hour or so, then reverses it and runs it the opposite direction for about the same time...claims it works like a charm:cool:

Mark Pruitt
06-08-2007, 4:41 PM
I tape a piece of abrasive to the side of a hampster, throw 'im in and turn it on.....

:D :D :D :D

Mike Vickery
06-08-2007, 4:49 PM
I take a beach ball coat it in super glue then roll it around in my kids sand box. Then when the glue dries I inflate it inside the turning and run at slow sleep to sand all of those hard to reach places. Oh wait just remembered I don't do vases.

Bill Wyko
06-08-2007, 4:54 PM
I bought one of those inflatable bowl sanders and picked up an extension for it at Lowes. It works pretty well but the sanding gizmoes' are pricey. It's in the Rockler catalog.

Jim Becker
06-08-2007, 4:55 PM
I know of a turner who runs his lathe at very slow RPM, and uses small stones that he places inside the turning, they slowly tumble the interior surface smooth...runs it for an hour or so, then reverses it and runs it the opposite direction for about the same time...claims it works like a charm

Hmm...that's actually a pretty kewel idea!

Bill Wyko
06-08-2007, 4:58 PM
HMMM I wonder if that lava stone they use to clean pools would work like that?

Chris Barton
06-09-2007, 7:03 AM
Hi Ken,

Good to see you posting. I just shear scrape mine, I don't try to sand inside small openings too often. Alan Lacer commented at Arrowmont this week that the reason HFs always have small openings and collars was because the insides were rough and that's a way to keep someone from seeing or feeling the finish.

Ernie Nyvall
06-09-2007, 8:22 AM
You mean I need ANOTHER tool? She's gonna like this................:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Ken, you can get one of those extensions at Walmart for about 4 bucks.

Christopher K. Hartley
06-09-2007, 9:31 AM
I tape a piece of abrasive to the side of a hampster, throw 'im in and turn it on.....:D :D :D :DI think everybody has seen the movie, "Honey I Shrunk the Kids". I'm thinking about shrinking Mark and using him in place of the hampster.:eek: :D :D ;) I's a non-Mustard solution. Hey, Love ya Man!!:D :p

Lee DeRaud
06-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Ken, you can get one of those extensions at Walmart for about 4 bucks.Not so loud!!! He's gonna try to convince the wife he needs a new drill. :eek: