PDA

View Full Version : TopSaver

Paul Douglass
06-07-2007, 8:35 PM
I bought a bottle of TopSaver by Empire Manufacturing to try. I'm pretty disappointed in the results of my using it. It is suppose to be a "rust remover/lubricant/surface sealant/conditioner" I tried some on my jointer top. One thing I could not get it to do was remove any rust and the rust I have is very minor. I followed the instruction and it had no effect on the rust I have on my jointer top. Maybe you need LOTS of rust!?:confused:

Jerry White
06-07-2007, 8:47 PM
I've had EXCELLENT results removing rust from cast iron surfaces with TopSaver. Can't imagine why you would not have good results, too.

Jay Brewer
06-07-2007, 8:50 PM
Ive had great results also, actually its the best I have used, maybe let it sit on the stain a little longer.

Jules Dominguez
06-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Steel wool removes superficial rust quickly and easily. The stuff you apply to prevent rusting doesn't have to be a miracle product that also dissolves rust.
I live in the Atlanta area, and I've been using CRC Table Guard for probably a couple of years now in an un-air conditioned or heated basement shop, and haven't had any rust since I started using it. I also use the Table Guard on some of my hand tools.
There have been several posts on the subject, and I believe there are several products that work, including plain old Johnson Wax.

"Gary Brewer"
06-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi Paul: Did you get the kit with the abrasive pad and wipes? After you spray it on you need to rub it with the enclosed pad ( just a scotch brite pad ). I use a jointer push block dedicated for this purpose on top of the scotch brite pad. Then wipe up the mess with papertowels. The block makes the rubbing a lot easier. TopSaver works great and is by far the best rust remover I have tried. Make sure you are using the "TopSaver Rust Remover" solution and not one of their other products. I have cleaned up quite a few very rusty steel tools with it. The film left helps protect it from rust. For a very rusty top you might have to spray and rub several times.
Good Luck,
Gary

Jim DeLaney
06-08-2007, 6:43 AM
I bought the kit, and had the same results/opinion as Paul. I felt like I'd gotten ripped off.

WD-40, with a Scotchbrite pad works just as well, or better, for me.

Bruce Volden
06-08-2007, 6:51 AM
I too have not experienced good results! I "Saved" my table and band saws with it late in the winter. Come spring when the frost went out and the shop got humid, I had "stuff" growing on the cast iron. Although it did come off easily I was not happy with it's performance. I went back to my baby powder~smells good too! :D

Bruce

Fred Craven
06-08-2007, 8:07 AM
The guy at Woodcraft recommended it, he said they were using it on all their floor models now. Well, with a lot of scouring, it did clean the table up; however, my table saw top is NOT smooth, it has the less common grooved surface. Although the rust is gone, even with a wire brush I can't get some of the staining out of the grooves.

I think the product would be fine for smooth tops.

Frederick Rowe
06-08-2007, 8:43 AM
I bought TopSaver for a Unisaw restoration project and compared it to WD40. Frankly, the WD40 worked just as well, and I think it is the Scotchbrite pad which is responsible for removing rust. I also applied it per instructions post rust removal, buffed it out, and found it did not leave the table as slick as paste wax; perhaps close but not superior.

I have concluded that ToSaver does work, but is not a miracle product by any measure. It's not cheap and while I wouldn't say avoid it, I'd recommend trying WD40 with appropriate Scotchbrite pads first followed by wax. If for whatever reason you get persistent oxidation, then try it or Boeshield.

Eric Gustafson
06-08-2007, 3:59 PM
How about that TR6 which is also used to protect tablesaws? Any luck with that?

Paul Douglass
06-08-2007, 7:01 PM
To be honest and fair, I didn't use scotch brite pad, I used steelwool. But I thought it would have the same affect.