PDA

View Full Version : Who waits the 30 minutes?

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-07-2007, 8:24 PM
before removing clamps?
I leave 'em on till like maybe the next day.

Who uses their finger to squeeze glue into the wood smearing it around real well?

Jude Kingery
06-07-2007, 8:36 PM
Hey Cliff,

Ha, I'm with you there - I leave them overnight and unclamp the next morning. Glue ups are the last thing I do at night. Oh far as a good finger to smear glue? Yep, I do that! Jude

Bill Huber
06-07-2007, 8:52 PM
It depends on what I am gluing up.
If it is like a draw that is not going to get a lot of pressure on it I will wait an hour and remove the clamps, other things I let set over night.

I do use brushes when gluing, I found that I do a better job with them then my old way with my finger.

Bill Wyko
06-07-2007, 8:55 PM
In our desert heat....15 minutes:D I hate waiting for glue to dry. It's like watching grass grow.:cool:

Anthony Anderson
06-07-2007, 9:04 PM
I smear/spread the glue with a finger or a brush. I wait 2-3 hours to before I remove clamps if I am running short on clamps and want to clamp something else. Otherwise I let the glue-up set overnight, I am in no rush while in the shop, bad mix. Bill

Mark Singer
06-07-2007, 9:17 PM
I use my finger or a cheap brush...on large surfaces a spreading board or roller. I like to wait overnight...unless my clamps are needed

Gary Keedwell
06-07-2007, 9:23 PM
Mostly overnite.;)

Gary K.

Jules Dominguez
06-07-2007, 9:56 PM
I use my finger to spread the glue unless it's a large surface.
I follow the instructions - 30 minutes or an hour or whatever - if I need the clamps elsewhere, or if I need to get the clamps out of the way in order to remove some squeezeout, or if I can do further work on the piece without stressing the glue joints. I try to never stress the joints without at least an overnight and preferably a 24 hour curing period. I also leave the clamps on overnight if it just happens to be convenient to do it.

Bjorn Rettig
06-07-2007, 10:10 PM
I used to wait over night, but lately I have only given it 45 minutes or so. So far I had no glue failure. It's quite amazing how well and quickly the glue works.

Don Bullock
06-07-2007, 10:20 PM
They actually have brushes that can be used to spread glue?:eek: Wow, you got me on that one.

I'm also prone to leaving the clamps on overnight. Actually with they way I work, it may be days before I'm able to get back to take off the clamps.;) :D

James Manning
06-07-2007, 10:28 PM
I use LOML's finger..........:D

Andrew Williams
06-07-2007, 10:44 PM
I don't leave them on long unless it's a face-glue-up (those are overnighters). Most panel glue-ups are maybe an hour at most. As soon as the glue sets up it would take a monster to pull the panel apart anyway. Carcases, even less. Since the joinery tends to set immediately upon closing the last clamp I tend to take them off really soon (sometimes immediately) to make it easier to square the thing up in all 3 dimensions.

When I use hide glue sometimes I won't bother with clamps at all. It has a hydraulic action that pulls the joint tighter as it dries.

Bruce Page
06-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Guilty and guilty

Gary Keedwell
06-07-2007, 11:36 PM
I use oriented finger..........:D

;) Hey, this is a family oriented forum:eek:

Gary K.

Eugene A. Manzo III
06-08-2007, 12:00 AM
I use my whole body to spread the glue..... It seems to end up every where my lips hair arms all over my clothes. Clamps well did you ever make a mistake and want to reorient the wood and you cant budge it HMMM.

Dennis Peacock
06-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Spread glue with finger? yes....

Wait for glue to setup? Nah!!!! Just let set for about 1-2 hours and pull it all out of clamps. I don't have an unlimited supply of clamps, so I pull them off early on large glueup projects.

Now...if the LOML can just find a way to keep me from wipping off my glue wet fingers on my cloths? She'd be a lot happier with me. :o :D

Lee DeRaud
06-08-2007, 12:59 AM
I once used my (now ex-)wife's Nordstrom card as a putty knife...solved three problems at once. :D :cool:
Does that count?

Reg Mitchell
06-08-2007, 2:59 AM
well too its acording what I am glueing. If its mortis and tendon I let it set for about an hour befor takeing off the clamps and yes I use the small acid brushed to spread the glue inside the mortis and outside on the tendon. I like to move it around and let the glue soak a bit befor eI slip it together so It will, in my opinion, hold better. For larger projects I use a PVC pipe on a small paint roller to spread the glue.
Reg

Cody Colston
06-08-2007, 4:30 AM
I once used my (now ex-)wife's Nordstrom card as a putty knife...solved three problems at once. :D :cool:
Does that count?

Pffffffftt!

There went my coffee. Lee, you have a truly warped sense of humor. I like it! :D

Neil Lamens
06-08-2007, 5:49 AM
Hi Cliff:

I like my panels overnight with a finger smear!!!

Neil

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-08-2007, 8:25 AM
I use my whole body to spread the glue..... It seems to end up every where my lips hair arms all over my clothes. Clamps well did you ever make a mistake and want to reorient the wood and you cant budge it HMMM.
Ahhh the Farah Faucett technique. Very interesting.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-08-2007, 8:28 AM
Does that count?

As the guys in the Guiness commercial say:
!!~BRILLIANT~!!

Jim Becker
06-08-2007, 9:06 AM
If you don't have an ex-wife's Nordstrom card available, you can always use one of those unsolicited Handy Man Club membership cards to spread glue... :D
--------

I'm guilty of giving the finger to the glue on occasion, but I also have a box of inexpensive throw-away brushes. I'll also pull a scrap of wood out of the discard bin to spread glue on occasion.

As to clamp time, most often, it's overnight or at least a few hours, but on occasion, I'll un-clamp after about an hour. I do try to remove most of the glue squeeze out after about 40 minutes or so when it is still pliable, yet not "wet".

J.R. Rutter
06-08-2007, 9:38 AM
I leave 3-dimensional assemblies in the clamps longer - a few hours.
Flat things like panels 1/2 hour.
Door assembly 20 min. (Actually I cheat and use a Wood Welder - 5 minutes to let the joints cool.)

Tired of yellow fingers and the resulting ruined clothes. Most things get a glue line only. Experience teaches thickness of the bead and where to put it.

Jeff Raymond
06-08-2007, 12:00 PM
I clamp 'em for overnight drying...but as little glue overage as possible. It makes marks on my jeans when I wipe my fingers off and my wife gets suspicious.

Ahem.

glenn bradley
06-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Even though I have seen PVA that has set for an hour during a presentation hold stronger than the oak panels it was used on, I still clamp overnight.

Anything 1" wide or less is fair game for my built-in finger-glue-spreader. Larger surfaces, I use a pasta roller; it's like a short paint roller covered with a silicone rubber sleeve (Target and elsewhere for a couple bucks)

Philip Duffy
06-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Some guy named Taig Fysasszzzz, said if you put glue on 2 edges and rub them together you will not be able to get them apart in 30 min, without using clamps. I tried it one day for fun and, believe it or not, I could not break the joint! Sold my clamps the next day !! Phil

Al Killian
06-08-2007, 3:49 PM
I leave the clamps on for atleast 6 hours. For glue I use acid brushes on smaller projects and roller on larger things. If using epoxy or resin, then a scrap peice of wood is used.

Joe Chritz
06-08-2007, 7:02 PM
I have an article from a mag (not sure which one) that tested glue strengths by brand as well as set up time.

Roughly 80-90% of the strength of the glue is already there at 30 minutes.

I take the clamps off whenever I need to after 30 minutes. I still wait as long as I can before doing any machining to them.

Joe

Fred Voorhees
06-08-2007, 7:34 PM
I don't beleive I've ever uncorked a clamp in less than a few hours. I basically like to leave them overnight. I usually try to use an acid brush to spread the glue. I get them quite often for free from the plumbers on the various construction jobs that I am on. They'll usually give me a couple at a time.

Bob McGovern
06-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Well-jointed edges form a really strong butt-joint in under five minutes. Tight-fitting M&T or dovetail joints swell and lock almost instantly with water-based glues. I glue up panels vertically and spread glue with the higher board -- which also creates a nice initial tack. I try hard to unclamp in half an hour, to chisel off the soft "string of pearls" squeeze out. Also found many woods develop startling shadow lines if clamped overnight: my glueups take place near large windows facing morning sun.

Last week, I went from raw beech to 19 glued-up door panels in one long day. Glue up in batches of six or seven, rotate them thru as fast as possible. Nice thing about vertical gluing, it leaves you plenty of shop room to work in.

Benjimin Young
06-09-2007, 6:38 AM

I thought I was the only one with a special glue-up wardrobe

Steve Clardy
06-09-2007, 3:26 PM
I use offcuts for spreading glue after its applied.

About the size of popcicle sticks.

I pull clamps usually in 30 minutes.

Dennis Peacock
06-09-2007, 6:56 PM
Yea....I had a mistake about 1 year ago with glue.

I edge glued a piece of alder to an edge of 3/4" plywood. Clamped it up, let it set for about 20 minutes...realized my mistake that I glued it to the wrong side of the plywood and I had to Chisel the wood, little by little, from the edge of the plywood. Stuff held on there good. :o :rolleyes: