PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Rivets!

Jason Christenson
06-07-2007, 3:26 PM
I picked up an old Stanley miter box saw which I am attempting to clean up so I can eventually let my son use it. I would like to remove the handle so I can refinish it, but when I turn the screw heads they just spin indefinitely. Any tips on how to get them apart?

Thanks.
Jason

Don Bullock
06-07-2007, 3:54 PM
You could drill them out. I've had to do that to some tools.

Jason Christenson
06-07-2007, 4:03 PM
You could drill them out. I've had to do that to some tools.

If I do that, where can I find replacements?

Terry Bigelow
06-07-2007, 4:16 PM
I have the same problem in reverse. I just finished a new handle on a Disston #7 and two of the three rivets just spin when I try to tighten them. I'm sure there's some trick I'm just not smart enough to figure out to tighten them!

Ryan Cathey
06-07-2007, 4:25 PM
You could firmly press the un-slotted side of the screw against some sandpaper. That might hold it enough to get them to unscrew. If you do end up having to drill them out I'd probably have some replacements for you.

Brian Hale
06-07-2007, 5:39 PM
File a groove into it and use a flat blade screwdriver. Not pretty but it works.

Brian :)

Rick Whitehead
06-07-2007, 8:10 PM
There's another way to remove a saw nut that doesn't involve drilling or sawing a slot in it. I don't remember where I read it, but it's helped me before.
Take two blocks of wood, one with a hole in it larger than the slotted side of the sawnut. Place the block with a hole in it over the slotted half, and place another block on the opposite side of the saw handle, clamping them together as tightly as you can.Then you can try unscrewing it.
If that doesn't work, and you have to cut or drill it out, PM me and I can send you a couple of sawnuts.
Rick