PDA

View Full Version : Remote control issues

Gary Benson
06-07-2007, 2:43 PM
Has anyone had issues with cross talk from other wireless devices and remotes used to turn large machines on and off? I have a 110V remote from ACE that activates a 220V contactor to turn on my cyclone DC. I am 100% sure that it was off when I left my garage, and have come back twice and it was running. I have changed the code, I hope that will solve the problem.

Thanks

Jay Keller
06-07-2007, 2:51 PM
Has anyone had issues with cross talk from other wireless devices and remotes used to turn large machines on and off? I have a 110V remote from ACE that activates a 220V contactor to turn on my cyclone DC. I am 100% sure that it was off when I left my garage, and have come back twice and it was running. I have changed the code, I hope that will solve the problem.

Thanks
a 110v device shold not be used to actuate a 220v load

Gary Benson
06-07-2007, 2:57 PM
The 110V device is nothing more that a switch that activates the 220V switch and is properly wired. Low voltage signals are used to acitvate high voltage/load circuits frequently in the form of relays. Question pertains more to the wireless signal.

Thanks

Rick Gooden
06-07-2007, 3:01 PM
What type of remote signal, IR, RF,X-10?

Gary Benson
06-07-2007, 3:26 PM
Best I can tell on their website, it is a radio frequency controller.

Brad Townsend
06-07-2007, 4:46 PM
This probably won't help you, but I have the same setup, and knowing how flaky RF devices can be, wired the outlet for the DC to be switched at the panel by the front door of my shop. I always turn it off with the lights when I leave. That way I know the neighbor's garage door opener won't be turning on my DC while I'm gone.

Gary Benson
06-07-2007, 4:50 PM
I actually may do just that, I am eliminating a light outside the garage, and could easily rewire the switch to control that set of outlets.

Thanks

Jim Becker
06-07-2007, 4:54 PM
Gary, I actually got rid of the remote control when I put in my contactor...it's really no hassle at all to just have a centrally located switch in my shop to turn my cyclone system on and off and no remote to lose, misplace or accidentally bring into the house...I've come to believe that RF remote controls are a little over-rated by the marketing folks...

Rick Gooden
06-07-2007, 5:06 PM
I'm with Jim on a centrally located switch. I did look up what I think is the remote you are using and it indicates that you can program different codes (4). If you have tried this and still have the problem the unit has really poor selectivity and needs to be tossed as reliability will always be an issue.

Rick

Lee DeRaud
06-07-2007, 5:09 PM
I've come to believe that RF remote controls are a little over-rated by the marketing folks...Probably true in most cases, but a real timesaver when the DC is in the garage downstairs and the laser it's venting is in the spare bedroom upstairs.

So far (a little over two years), I've only had one false trigger.

Greg Cole
06-07-2007, 5:20 PM
This post makes me think of the commercial with the guy flipping the switch in the garage asking his wife to look for something turning on and off.... all the while the neighbors garage door is slamming up n down on her car hood. "hey honey, can you see anything turning on & off" LOLOLOLOL
I too have a master switch for all my outlets I plug tools in.... having a 5 year old boy who is no stranger to the shop & he keeps his bike and 4 wheeler in the shop.... I MUST make sure I kill the power, simply unplugging the tails isn't good enough. And my 220 circuit has a disconnect, so I can kill the 220 in one "flick" too.
Never had any issues with my DC remote though... other than aforementioned 5 year old absconding with the remote... kinda like he does with my pencils, tape measures, hammers, screw drivers.. or anything he sees me using. :cool: And what was it Dad bellered at me about for many years.....? Somthing about putting "excrement" back where it was found...???? LOL

Brian Gumpper
06-07-2007, 5:55 PM
The remote probably uses a low cost chipset like the old and current low cost garage door openers use with a limited number of channels. It is possible that somebody can trigger your DC.

If you can, get the frequency of the transmitter. Maybe that will provide some clues.

Jim Becker
06-07-2007, 8:25 PM
...but a real timesaver when the DC is in the garage downstairs and the laser it's venting is in the spare bedroom upstairs.

Indeed...you have a somewhat unique situation there Lee! But honestly, the average "regular" shop is not huge and the few steps to a centrally-located switch isn't a burden. In fact, it sometimes helps pace things when the inclination may be to rush.

john tomljenovic
06-07-2007, 8:37 PM
I also avoided using a wire less remote and simply use a a couple pull chain switches that hang from the ceiling, these then trigger a contacter . I am never more than 6 feet from a switch. and they are always found in the same place.

Gary Benson
06-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. For now, I think I will just plug the remote module into my overhead lighting circuit. That way, when I leave the shop and turn out the lights, there will be no chance the DC will be activated by stray signals.

Gary

Jay Keller
06-08-2007, 3:38 PM
you might try putting everything on 120v. A 120v switch wont last long on a 220v load.

Jim Becker
06-08-2007, 3:42 PM
you might try putting everything on 120v. A 120v switch wont last long on a 220v load.

Jay, you need to read the thread...he is not connecting a 240v load to a 120v switch. He's using the 120v switch to control a contactor/actuator which in turn controls both 240v legs to the DC. This is a common and correct application. His issue is reliability with the RF portion of his solution.

Randall Davis
06-09-2007, 12:08 AM

it will if it is used properly!

Chris Barton
06-09-2007, 7:29 AM
Hi Gary,

I have my Delta 850 DC unit on a RF remote control and it does magically come on at times, more often late at night all by itself. I've also noticed that a close thunderstorm can occasionally activate it. That's the only thing I have on a remote.

Ted Calver
06-09-2007, 8:11 AM
Gary,
I always unplug my Oneida system and all other power devices before I leave my shop/garage just for peace of mind. Plugging them back in is a way of reminding myself to be respectful of what the machines can do to me. I like my DC remote--but every once in a while it turns on the overhead fan and lights in the family room 40' away. :)