PDA

View Full Version : OT-Any Plumbers here?

Aaron Beaver
06-07-2007, 2:20 PM
I will try to explain this as best I can so hopefully it will make sense. Kitchen sink, right side, copper pipe goes down to plastic goose neck, about the middle of the copper pipe was a welded/solder connection of a 1/2" copper line coming from the dishwasher, part of the run from the dishwasher is copper not the entire thing. I was changing the faucet last night and I hit that 1/2" pipe near the connection and it busted loose. So now I can't use that drain because water would come out.

My question: I wont solder it back myself so I am considering just calling a plumber and have them do it. I considered cutting the copper pipe above and below the old connection and inserting a plastic/rubber Y of some sort. I didn't know if they even make a Y with a large main diameter for the drain that would have a 1/2" dia stem on it for he dishwasher connection

I haven't messed with plumbing much so I know very little about the subject.

Joe Pelonio
06-07-2007, 2:58 PM
Seems like the easist thing, if I undestand the question, is to do it like mine. For about $2 you can get the plastic Y to connect to the drain on the sink, with the outlet for the dishwasher, then use rubber hose from it to the dishwasher.

Otherwise I think I've seen the plastic 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/2" Y's at the home centers or plumbing supplies.

Aaron Beaver
06-07-2007, 3:16 PM
Seems like the easist thing, if I undestand the question, is to do it like mine. For about $2 you can get the plastic Y to connect to the drain on the sink, with the outlet for the dishwasher, then use rubber hose from it to the dishwasher.

Otherwise I think I've seen the plastic 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/2" Y's at the home centers or plumbing supplies.

Thanks Joe, I will have to look for one of those it was to late for the store last night.

Mark Rios
06-07-2007, 8:47 PM
I may be a bit late on this but....Aaron, Joe hit it on the head. The tailpiece that he shows in his drawing is exactly what you're looking for. You local hardware/big box store will have it. It's a common item used in sinks that don't have a garbage disposal to hook up the DW to. I would suggest that you also pick up any corresponding connecting nuts if the tailpiece doesn't come with one.

hth