PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Dovetail Jig and Bosch Routers

Ted Baca
06-07-2007, 2:11 PM
I have a 4216 PC Dovetail Jig and two Bosch routers. I have had some difficulty in setting up the PC guides in the PC to Bosch adapter and just bought a PC router to eliminate these issues. But I must say the PC router is disappoint in build quality. I think since the DeWalt buyout they must have lowered their standards. So I may return it before I use it. I have plenty of other PC tools and love 'em but this may cause for closer inspection before I buy again.
But here is my question: Has anyone ever tried either making or modifying a PC base plate to fit a Bosch? I find that the Bosch Qwik Release guide system is too unreliable for centered alignment with the PC bushings. So I was thinking of buying a PC base plate and either have a Lexan one milled out to accept the guide bushings or just re drilling it fit the Bosch. Anyone ever try doing either or have a bettre suggestion?

James Phillips
06-07-2007, 2:26 PM
Buy a universal router base from woodcraft. They hold the bushings and work great. Be sure and buy the centering kit for it though

Randal Stevenson
06-07-2007, 2:41 PM
Pat Warner (I believe he is a member here), sells some on his website. Clear subbases that use the p/c style guide bushings.

Kim Spence
06-07-2007, 3:44 PM
Not positive but I think the hole pattern on the PC may be the same as the Bosch, so may be easy to just add the PC base? I'll check when I get home this evening as I own both...

Jason White
06-07-2007, 3:54 PM
I highly recommend you get a clear sub-base from Pat Warner. He's got them set up for PC guide bushings for just about any router you can think of (except Festool). I bought one and it's made a world of difference.

Here's a link...

http://patwarner.com/offset_subbase.html

JW

I have a 4216 PC Dovetail Jig and two Bosch routers. I have had some difficulty in setting up the PC guides in the PC to Bosch adapter and just bought a PC router to eliminate these issues. But I must say the PC router is disappoint in build quality. I think since the DeWalt buyout they must have lowered their standards. So I may return it before I use it. I have plenty of other PC tools and love 'em but this may cause for closer inspection before I buy again.
But here is my question: Has anyone ever tried either making or modifying a PC base plate to fit a Bosch? I find that the Bosch Qwik Release guide system is too unreliable for centered alignment with the PC bushings. So I was thinking of buying a PC base plate and either have a Lexan one milled out to accept the guide bushings or just re drilling it fit the Bosch. Anyone ever try doing either or have a bettre suggestion?

Alex Berkovsky
06-07-2007, 4:14 PM
I just bought Pat's sundry kit (http://patwarner.com/sundries.html) for my Bosch router to use with PC 4212 DT jig. His subbases are top quality.

Kim Spence
06-07-2007, 5:23 PM
Not positive but I think the hole pattern on the PC may be the same as the Bosch, so may be easy to just add the PC base? I'll check when I get home this evening as I own both...
I've just confirmed that a PC 690 or 890 subbase will work on a Bosch 1617. If you remove the stock subbase on the Bosch it will reveal an alternate set of holes that have the Porter Cable 3 hole pattern. Threads are also same size/tpi as the PC base.

Thus, any base made for the PC 690/890 be it stock or aftermarket such as Pat's will fit fine.

Hope this helps!
Kim

Jerry McCaffrey
06-07-2007, 5:55 PM
Bosch 1617 uses their own speedlock inserts. However, for a measley $8 from a Bosch dealer you can get a speedlock to PC 1/38" hole adapter and then use standard bushings.

Jerry

Ted Baca
06-08-2007, 1:36 AM
Jerry the issue I have been having is that the adapter PC to Bosch doesn't fit tightly and moves on me as I rout. I have the 1617 and a 1618 D-Handle. I have used the CMT and Bosch adapters and get the same result.
Also they don't come up flush with base. I think the Patwarner suggestion is my solution. Thanks to all.

Ted Baca
06-08-2007, 1:39 AM
Kim thanks I will investigate that this weekend when I get out to the shop. Gotta love Sawmillcreek members.

Ted Baca
06-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Kim is right, I got up early and took the PC plate and it screws right on to the Bosch. What a concept thanks again Kim and Bosch ofr having some consideration for customers and locking them in to propietary BS that a lot of other mfgs. do.

Kim Spence
06-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Kim is right, I got up early and took the PC plate and it screws right on to the Bosch. What a concept thanks again Kim and Bosch ofr having some consideration for customers and locking them in to propietary BS that a lot of other mfgs. do.
Glad to help!

Kim