PDA

View Full Version : Clamping DC flex hose securely

Andy Fox
06-07-2007, 1:02 PM
I finally moved up from a shop vacuum to a real dust (chip) collector (1 HP Delta AP400). It has a single 4" intake port which faces downward, and I can't seem to attach the plastic flex hose so that it will stay attached to this intake port. It comes loose after moving the hose to a few different machines. I'm using a standard wire DC hose clamp shown in the attached photo.

I've been able to tighten the clamp as tight as possible, but the hose still wiggles off. I think my problem is one of these:

1. I don't know how to properly use a hose clamp. (but it seems so simple :rolleyes: )

2. I need a different style of clamp.

I looked at the Lee Valley bridge clamps, but they claim to need 1/2" between hose spirals, which my standard plastic hose doesn't have. Maybe I need a different hose so that I can use these?

Andy Fox
06-08-2007, 12:07 AM
The solution to this problem should have been so obvious... duct tape of course! :rolleyes:

I wrapped one layer of thick, heavy duty duct tape (Gorilla Tape) around the tapered, metal DC intake port, and that was just enough to give the hose more friction and the wire clamp something to bite into. In fact, the friction fit was so snug, I probably didn't need the clamp.

Steve knight
06-08-2007, 12:24 AM
I use regular hose cmalps those ones pictured have crappy nuts that nothing fits.

Cody Colston
06-08-2007, 12:42 AM
I use regular hose clamps. Those ones pictured have crappy nuts that nothing fits.

Yep. You can get them at homecenters.

Guy Germaine
06-08-2007, 6:36 AM
I've had better luck with the clamps like Andy posted. I get them at Woodcraft, and I think they hold a LOT better than regular hose clamps.

Grant Wilkinson
06-08-2007, 12:08 PM
I glued a strip of sand paper to the metal outlet on the DC. The hose has not slipped off since.

Grant
Ottawa ON

glenn bradley
06-08-2007, 12:20 PM
I use the ones pictured without issue. The nuts are poorly sized but a 10mm (If I remember) will do the job. They shouldn't have to be "hella-tight". I just snug mine and you would really have to be doing something to get them to slip off.

You might try cleaning the inside first couple inches of the hose and the pipe you're slipping it on with naptha or alcohol. Perhaps there is some manufacturing residue that is slippery? Grant's sandpaper idea would be a next step.

Jason Beam
06-08-2007, 12:46 PM
I'll offer a completely out-of-left-field solution that worked VERY well for me...

Just about every machine's port I have is somewhat tapered inward, drives me up a wall. Some of them are plastic and real slick. My hose would NOT stay put no matter how much duct tape i used.

So instead, I took a couple of small sheet metal screws and drove 'em into the end of the port. The panhead of the screw creates a nice effective stop for any clamps and I no longer need duct tape.

The point of the screw projecting into the airflow got filed down so that it didn't present a snagging hazard. At first, i put in 4 screws at 90 degrees to one another, then 3 evenly spaced ... i've determined that just 2 screws at opposite sides works perfectly well. Just enough of a bump to kepe the clamp from sliding.

Works in my shop! :P

Matt Day
06-08-2007, 1:09 PM
I use the wire clamps like the ones you posted Andy. I use a socket on it to tighten it down, rather than a philips head b/c they need to get pretty tight to hold well. After I tightened them up to German torque spec, they haven't budged.

Oh, and I use the corrogated style flex hose; I got the Jet brand from Amazon for a good price.

Jay Keller
06-08-2007, 3:36 PM
the band clamps found in plumbing or hvac section are the correct choice

Andrew Williams
06-08-2007, 6:21 PM
I use the hose clamps that have a plastic thumbscrew attached to them. They hold just fine. Since I am switching the collector from machine to machine (it is not large enough for a duct system) I have a small piece of hard PVC tubing clamped to a the end of a 5' hose on the main collector. It is a simple matter to then clamp that little section to another 5' section attached to the individual machines. I am surprised that the AP400 brass clamps don't work for you. I did not have a problem attaching the hose to the 4" intake. I did however use a ratchet and not a screwdriver.

glenn bradley
06-10-2007, 4:47 PM
Just a follow up Andy. I just got through with my 2 - 3 times a year blast gate clean up / inspection. I use the type of clamps you have and I noticed that the inlet to the gate that the hose slips over is rough / pebbled / not smooth. My clamps hold fine but I do wipe and 'stuff' off the inlet with a damp cloth before reassembly. I use a very small ratchet and a 10mm socket which fits the screw heads fine. I just make 'em a little more than finger tight and the really grab.

Jim Heffner
06-13-2007, 4:48 PM
Some folks are using the spring open type clamps that are used to connect discharge S&D drain hoses on motor homes and RV's, they work well too. Jim Heffner