PDA

View Full Version : Woodsmith Box joint jig

Chris Holder
06-07-2007, 9:34 AM
Hi all,
Just joined SMC and really appreciate everyone's comments! I recently purchased the Woodsmith box joint jig and am having trouble figuring out exactly how it works (seems like the table saw blade would need to run at a zero clearance to the aluminum, but I don't think this could be correct).
I am building a modified version of the Norm Abrams hanging toolchest,
and this is my first attempt with box joints for the drawers. Has anyone used this jig, and could you provide me with your wisdom on it?

Steve Roxberg
06-07-2007, 9:58 AM
The distance between your blade and the stop is the width of the subsequent tail. The distance between the two stops should be a tight fight to avoid slop.

You are probably trying to figure out how the board that starts without a finger is created. You set the gap between the blade and the stop to be the width of your finger. Cut the board that will start with a finger and then use that finger to space the next board away from the stop, and yes that will essentially create a zero clearance gap so that you can remove the width of a finger form the leading edge of the board.

It's a terrible description but may help. Woodsmith also sells a DVD for $9.00 that may be of help.

Chris Holder
06-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks Steve,
That is very helpful. I know I probably should have made the jig myself, but the Woodsmith was on sale at Rockler. Who can pass up their sales!