PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat

Keith Burns
06-07-2007, 9:02 AM
I've been looking for some big blanks to make a platter or two. I contacted a club member to see if he had anything. I arrived at his place at 8:00 am on Saturday expecting just to get a couple of blanks and be on my way. Well I ended up leaving 6 hours later with a load of Box Elder. We spent the morning cutting the blanks and then cut a Box Elder blank 30" dia. x 18" thick, about 200# and mounted it on his Oneway and spent a couple hours turning it. That was a trip !! Didn't have my camera so no pics of the big blank but when he finishes it I will get some for sure. Then I get a call from another club member saying he had some Walnut and Mesquite and did I want any. Got to his house on Thursday evening and we started cutting blanks. The first 2 pics are of the Box Elder. The next 3 are of the Walnut and Mesquite. The crotch Walnut piece is 24" dia. Needless to say I have enough wood to last me a day or two.

Ken LaSota
06-07-2007, 9:26 AM
Great haul you make me jealous.
Ken

Nancy Laird
06-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Nice haul, Keith. That box elder looks really nice.

Nancy

Shane Whitlock
06-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Very nice haul Kieth... Can't wait to see what ya turn out of it all, especially that walnut crotch, looks like a nice piece of wood.

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Bernie Weishapl
06-07-2007, 1:06 PM
Yep nice haul Keith. I am green with envy. Looks like some nice pieces.

Barry Stratton
06-07-2007, 3:31 PM
GREAT HAUL Keith! You are now on MY list:p

Steve Schlumpf
06-07-2007, 3:51 PM
Wow Keith! Congrats on all the wood! Looking forward to seeing some platters!

Dennis Peacock
06-07-2007, 9:12 PM
Nice haul there Keith!!!! Let's see some platters out of some of that wood. ;)