PDA

View Full Version : Vice Jaw wood?

Robert Trotter
06-07-2007, 3:05 AM
Any advice on what wood to use for vice jaws for a LV twin screw.

I was thinking of IPE, Yelloe balau, or urin. As I can get these pretty easily (I think:rolleyes: ) These are very hard and dense woods. Probably Balau.

Would these hard dense woods be good for vice jaws? They will be very hard. Or should the jaws be not so hard?

I can probably get one piece for each jaw in these woods. Other woods I might be able to. But most likely will have to join two pieces together.

Robert

James Mittlefehldt
06-07-2007, 5:30 AM
I used 8/4 hard maple for the jaws, and have never had any reason to regret it so far.

Robert Rozaieski
06-07-2007, 8:52 AM
I would use a relatively soft wood (softer than your work) but anything you have laying around will work fine (I used a scrap of Mahogany). Softer woods will be easier on your pieces. Better to ding the vice jaw (replaceable) than your work.

Randy Klein
06-07-2007, 8:54 AM
I agree with the soft wood idea. I have douglas fir.

Robert Trotter
06-07-2007, 9:25 AM
OK....if I wanted to go with a softer wood, it seems that most of the wood available to me is thiner stuff. about 30mm rough cut. But I need the jaws about 50mm. 45mm min for front rear jawa and 55mm max for the front jaw. I may have to face joint two pieces together. Would this cause a problem?

Otherwise I will have to really hunt around or go with the harder wood.

Robert

Ken Werner
06-07-2007, 9:37 AM
I'm with those that suggest using something soft-ish, and cheap-ish for vise jaws. I don't want to think twice about damaging the jaws, nor should they be a showcase of fine wood. Mine are made of thick pieces of cherry that were not nice enough for furniture, but had structural integrity. I don't see a problem with gluing them up. I finish mine with shellac, on the top and outside and nothing on the gripping surfaces.
Ken

Jim Becker
06-07-2007, 9:44 AM
Robert, I tend to agree with Ken...don't be afraid to glue up a lamination for this or to just use what is available. I did use maple for mine, but it was scraps off the rack...and yes, it's a glue-up. (I'm not sure exactly what the Japanese species you cite equate to in that respect)

glenn bradley
06-07-2007, 11:01 AM
I'd rather my work dent my vise than the other way around. I used some 8/4 tight-grained beech at about $2/BF. Reasonable price and available large enough for a one piece jaw. Prevous jaws were just laminated 3/4" (to yield 1 1/2" thickness) red oak baords from the BORG. They flexed too much but the lamination has never failed. I cut them down a bit to reduce the unsupported area and use that clamp for light holding on another workbench.

Brian Boru
06-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Robert,
My 2cents.

Make the vise jaws with a seasoned wood of your choice - no problems with lamination - and line the inside of the jaws with leather - preferably welted leather. I have it on my maple vice jaws and replace it as needed which is rarely.
A shoe/boot maker, cobbler will be your best bet.

Robert Trotter
06-07-2007, 12:09 PM
thanks everyone.
I will hunt around for something a bit softer then.
But I need to make sure it doesn't flex. I will be setting up my twin screw at 24" centres. So the jaws will be at least 800mm wide.

Brian I did think about leather liners. But then thought that maybe just on the front jaw because if I put some on the rear jaw I would lose "flushness" with the bench top. (Is that a word?:D )

Robert