PDA

View Full Version : Exit sign for parking lot

Leigh Costello
06-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Hello everyone. Our church is in serious need of new signage for parking and driveway exits. Has anyone made these before? I believe these will be mounted on sawhorses as temporary signs as well as some to be mounted on some buildings. What material do you recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Frank Corker
06-07-2007, 6:08 AM
Leigh outdoor signs can be made from a number of the laserlite/rowmark products. They are the type that are two layered and you laser through the top layer to reveal the under-colour and there are many colours to choose from. They are very durable. Temporary signs could always be made cheaply from plywood and varnished afterwards.

Joe Pelonio
06-07-2007, 8:19 AM
Most of that kind of sign I do on .08 aluminum for posts, .04 for walls, in both cases with vinyl lettering. The outdoor laminates like LaserMax are going to warp over time in the sun unless flat on a wall or on a backing board of some kind, and end up more expensive. For example, I usually pay about $11 for a 12x24 sheet of Rowmark, for that I can get 4 of the 12x18" aluminum, and the vinyl for the lettering is $6/yard for 24" wide.

Brian Robison
06-07-2007, 8:28 AM
Joe, do you cut the vinyl with the laser? Do you hold it down with double sided tape?

Leigh, I have to do the exact same thing (new church building)

Joe Pelonio
06-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Joe, do you cut the vinyl with the laser? Do you hold it down with double sided tape?

No, I have plotters. If you are not ready to add that to your equipment you can sub it out to a sign shop, or use the Rowmark if they approve the price and you cement the Rowmark onto something like PVC to stiffen it. Churches are notoriously frugal. You might even look into the thicker Rowmark Reverse Engravable Acrylics, and spray the backs with a contrasting color.

Leigh Costello
06-08-2007, 12:31 AM
I just turned the signage over to another party. I was apprehensive about using the Romark route because the He Man Woman Haters Club did not want to use a backing of some kind. I explained MO weather and warpage, but got nowhere. So I just gave them the card of a signmaker and left the project to them. Thanks for your advice. And, yes I am woman - at least I don't roar.

Brian Robison
06-08-2007, 9:14 AM
REO Speedwagon & Helen Ready?

Leigh Costello
06-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Actually The Little Rascals (Spanky and pals) and Helen Reddy :D