PDA

View Full Version : Who made it you ask

Dave Lehnert
06-07-2007, 12:17 AM
I read a lot of messages on here about who made what tool etc… Thought I would pass along a story of a pressure washer I just purchased.
I purchased a Troy Bilt brand that is no longer owned by the Troy Bilt Co. but MTD. MTD sold the rights of the Troy Bilt name to Briggs and Stratton Power Products who now makes the pressure washer. But Briggs and Stratton purchased the pressure washer bizz from Generac some time ago.
Who knows what you are buying now days.

Jim Becker
06-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Sometimes it's hard to remember that trademark names are bought and sold in the same way that other things might be moved around. Pan Am flies out of Trenton/Mercer airport near here...and I assure you it's not heavy airplanes!

Ed Blough
06-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I read a lot of messages on here about who made what tool etc… Thought I would pass along a story of a pressure washer I just purchased.
I purchased a Troy Bilt brand that is no longer owned by the Troy Bilt Co. but MTD. MTD sold the rights of the Troy Bilt name to Briggs and Stratton Power Products who now makes the pressure washer. But Briggs and Stratton purchased the pressure washer bizz from Generac some time ago.

Due to work I often visited the MTD plant in Cleveland Ohio and watched them produce a half dozen lawn mowers with different names. Most of the time the only difference was the paint color and label.
I remember Consumer Reports did a "study" / "test" on lawn mowers and in the batch were 4 different named machines but MTD built machines and all virtually the same. Consumer Report had them rated from recommended buy/excellent to "don't buy." They even went into particular "Likes" and "Dislikes" that I knew all four machines shared but they only highlighted them on one particular name.
That is when I stopped reading consumer report.

Don Orr
06-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Dave, it was a sad day in NY's capital region when Troy-Bilt sold out and closed their plant in Troy, NY. It had been a mainstay in the area and a source of pride for a long time. Hard working, well made machines-expensive but worth it. I still have an early Horse tiller that works like a champ. Today's stuff is no where near the quality of the originals. But what else is new:( ?

Ed Blough
06-07-2007, 10:26 AM

I forgot to mention my buddy once bought a GMC pickup for the GMC dealer. When he got it home we noticed the passage side was Chevy badged while the drives side was GMC. The Dealer offered to make it right but he insisted they leave it alone, my buddy said he kind of liked driving two trucks at on time.:p

Paul Douglass
06-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Dave, it was a sad day in NY's capital region when Troy-Bilt sold out and closed their plant in Troy, NY. It had been a mainstay in the area and a source of pride for a long time. Hard working, well made machines-expensive but worth it. I still have an early Horse tiller that works like a champ. Today's stuff is no where near the quality of the originals. But what else is new:( ?

Amen! I have a 1981 hores still tilling my land every year! I looked at the new one and would not even waste my money! I really miss the paper Troy-bilt use to send it's customers also. Lots of great gardening info.

Andrew Williams
06-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Here's a list of current companies held by Black and Decker. It's pretty easy to find this sort of stuff out for publicly traded companies, a bit tougher for private ones. Some names on there that I was surprised at!

http://sec.edgar-online.com/2005/02/18/0000012355-05-000031/Section30.asp

Bill White
06-07-2007, 11:53 AM
My "Horse" 8hp (Kohler) is 15yrs old. Guess what? It's as solid as it was on day one. You're right. Shame to see the really solid brands that were built on quality and reputation go away.
MTD has a plant here in NE Mississippi. Slick operation.
Bill

Don Bullock
06-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Here's a list of current companies held by Black and Decker. It's pretty easy to find this sort of stuff out for publicly traded companies, a bit tougher for private ones. Some names on there that I was surprised at!

http://sec.edgar-online.com/2005/02/18/0000012355-05-000031/Section30.asp

That's quite an interesting list.

Randal Stevenson
06-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Amen! I have a 1981 hores still tilling my land every year! I looked at the new one and would not even waste my money!

I'm glad you left off the W. Or people would have asked for OLD pictures, LOL :D

At least we know you like experience. ROTFL

On to a serious note, I tracked down Kee's verticutter blades for a 60's model verticutter. Bosses relative borrowed it, the day after the new blades were on, and thought he blew the motor (which had supposably been rebuilt). Turned out (once the new one was installed and going), someone left a bolt loose on the old motor.
Now it works like a top, but I had to go through about 6 mergers/buyouts to try to find blades, and one of the places I went (a yard machine repair shop connected with one of the older companies that owned them), asked me for the information. He said they had one that he hadn't found blades for, for a couple of years.

George Summers
06-07-2007, 1:15 PM
With all the old mower 'experts' posting, I'm going to do a small hijack here and ask a burning question (at least burning to me). Why did the mower manufacturers (except for Snapper) stop making the rear-engine rider. My yard and my age stop me from a walk behind and the smallest of the new 'tractor' style is really too big (size and turning radius). I had a 20 year old cheap Murrey (probably built by MTD) that finally bit the dust and went looking for a replacement, ain't none out there (except Snapper at a Snapper price). there has to be a market for a mid-size rear-engine rider.

George

Lee Schierer
06-07-2007, 2:18 PM
With all the old mower 'experts' posting, I'm going to do a small hijack here and ask a burning question (at least burning to me). Why did the mower manufacturers (except for Snapper) stop making the rear-engine rider. My yard and my age stop me from a walk behind and the smallest of the new 'tractor' style is really too big (size and turning radius). I had a 20 year old cheap Murrey (probably built by MTD) that finally bit the dust and went looking for a replacement, ain't none out there (except Snapper at a Snapper price). there has to be a market for a mid-size rear-engine rider.

George

I think there were problems with that design due to the concentration of weight to the rear. Stability issues I think, but don't quote me on that.

As far as turning radius goes, the new zero turn radius mowers literally turn on a dime and my Simplicity has a 24" turning cirlce (measured at the realk wheel), although the deck actually turns a bit wider than that. I just saw a new cub cadet at HD that also says it is nearly zero turn radius. I don't think MTD has made one yet.

Lee Schierer
06-07-2007, 2:23 PM
Our problem is that we don't wear "outfits". Whenever LOML wants some thing new, she has to buy "outfits" and things to go with the "outfit". Perhaps if we did start wearing "outfits" we could use the excuse that the old router, cordless drill, etc. didn't go with our new outfit and we would have to get a new one even though we have several others in the drawers and cabinets.

You can't wear the yellow and black drill with your new denim shirt and blue jeans, you need one of those red and blue cordless drills so you can be color coordinated.:D

Dave Lehnert
06-07-2007, 4:48 PM
I think there were problems with that design due to the concentration of weight to the rear. Stability issues I think, but don't quote me on that.

As far as turning radius goes, the new zero turn radius mowers literally turn on a dime and my Simplicity has a 24" turning cirlce (measured at the realk wheel), although the deck actually turns a bit wider than that. I just saw a new cub cadet at HD that also says it is nearly zero turn radius. I don't think MTD has made one yet.
MTD Owns Cub Cadet now. The Toro riders sold at HD is also made by MTD. NOt Toro. Go figure.

Greg Cole
06-07-2007, 5:08 PM
I have a Troy Bilt 33" walk behind mower I've had for going on 8 years... it sees 3-5 hours a week of use. That mower has pays for itself at least 4 times over every year. :D
Last summer I had to replace the pulleys on the mower deck and the belts (all bought from MTD). Oh yeah, yearly oil changes too. About $150.00 in operating expenses in 8 years..... it's a good little machine and every time I think about uprgading to a bigger one, I just can't bring myself to retiring something that's still 100% serviceable and functional.
Kinda like my college gf's father, he had a 1960 something Cub Cadet tractor & the dealers flat out told him his machine was far better than what he'd buy today.....

Ryan Myers
06-07-2007, 6:09 PM
My understanding of John Deere is along the lines of the same thing. Most of their small garden tractors and push mowers are not made by JD, but they carry the name.

Appliances are in the same boat too. Maytag used to make high quality units, then they started selling their Neptune and Atlantis series W&D units that were made by another company. There is no comparison in quality of these units to the old Maytags. They bought out Amana appliances a few years back and now the whole company is owned by Whirlpool. I've heard the Maytag repair man is no longer taking extended breaks.