PDA

View Full Version : Why men NEED more tools

Randy Lee
06-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Alright...I am a verifiable rookie in the woodworking department, and I have just started adding to my collection of tools. Why is it that my wife and all wives/girlfriends/mistresses in general have such a problem with guys wanting to buy tools. They are always wanting us to fix stuff or build stuff, but then they gripe about getting the tools to get the job done right.

I started this thread to enlist the brainpower of my fellow man to come up with a great list of reasons why men NEED more tools. I am hoping to use these reasons on my wife the next time she complains about spending money on another tool.

Thanks,
Randy

Michael Schwartz
06-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Just tell her the cordless drill you want has a cute blue handle on it, and describe it as beeing little and make it sound harmless (like a wounded puppy) instead of the monster (bull dog) it really is.

mark page
06-07-2007, 1:21 AM
My LOML happened to be off work same day as me (a rarity). UPS made a delivery that day, bunch of small stuff. Her demands was no shop and had to watch a "chick flick" with her and under no means was my butt moving off the couch. I had all items on the coffee table for inspection, and she asked if I was going to sleep with any under my pillow. I happened to sneak one under my pillow for her to find later. She did and is now still searching for a 12 step program for tool-a-holics.....No excuses work for me anymore's. I just get em all out in the open to begin with. Unless they fit in a cabinet, she notices when the path through the shop keeps getting narrower & narrower. PS: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES state that its not the path narrower but her behind getting wider.....
She's very understanding on most purchases as long as they don't interfere with "our" time.

Mike Armstrong
06-07-2007, 2:14 AM
. . . come up with a great list of reasons why men NEED more tools. . .

'Cuz I already have one pair of shoes!

Mike

Vic Damone
06-07-2007, 3:11 AM
I've always found it worth while to take a few minutes and count the pairs of black shoes in her closet. It's a hard number that they don't dare know themselves and it can be very useful when you find yourself in a tight spot.
Using this approach can backfire though. Generally their embarrassment forces a purge which leaves room to refill.

As for the tools, they just don't make them like they used to. I have a lot of tool failures and I get upset at having to go out and get a replacement. A large machinery purchase can only be justified by a substantial around the house project. Like anything it's important they have a good foundation of knowledge and to discuss the options of paying a contractor, renting, and purchasing tools as well as what machinery is needed to take a piece of rough sawn wood and make something you both want from it.

These are all things you can explain. She'll never be able to explain twenty three pairs of black shoes.

Vic

Jude Kingery
06-07-2007, 3:38 AM
Hey Randy,

Have to say when we got married; we had a few plates and dishes, but between us, we had 4 drills, 2 saws, who knows how many other tools!!! Yeah, I like tools more than cook ware, ha, but spose I'm unusual as a female in that respect. Maybe teach her how to use them, she might like it! I'm far more comfortable in a hardware store than in the grocery; we both hate shopping for other things like clothes and shoes. Maybe see what interests her in the shop. Could be an avenue! Just a suggestion! Jude

Tim Malyszko
06-07-2007, 5:59 AM
Just remind her that the purposes of all the tools is to build her more presents... and of course something to store all those shoes.:D

Me personally, I buy a lot of tools, but my wife can spend just as much money on clothes. She hits Ann Taylor almost every season and drops $$$$ on new clothes. She claims they are a necessary business expense. Well, so are my tools since I am making all of my business office furniture.

Rich Engelhardt
06-07-2007, 6:51 AM
Hello Randy,

Serious answer - get her involved in some way.

My wife is very understanding now that she's seen how the right tool is the key to making something.

eg. We had some carpet to attach to some wooden stairs. I handed her in this order:
a.) Tack hammer and some small tacks. Fine for doing the tops, but a major pain to try doing the part that curled underneath the step.
b.) My Arrow staple gun (devious side note - make sure it's the one with the strongest possible spring - a wee bit of cheating is allowed :eek: :) ). Fine for both, but no lady wants Popeye forearms.
c.) My 18 ga brad nailer/stapler. Almost effortless - actually kind of fun.

Once she had the chance to see firsthand the huge difference a tool can make, she came around pretty well.
Evidence of this is the DeWalt planer I have sitting in the living room waiting to be unpacked.
Downside is you run a risk of "your" tool, becoming "our tool",, becoming "her" tool.
*sigh* - I don't have to ask permission to use the nailer/stapler - yet - but it's a-comin'.( I "lost" a nice litle High Standard .22, a Browning and a Winchester to that little ploy - - LOL! The high price we pay I guess.)

Not so serious suggestion: (that happens to work like a charm):
Find a tool you want.
Go to Festool's website and download all the info on whatever they offer that's even ballpark close.
Print out a gazillion copies/pictures/specs and scatter then all over the house - make sure you include prices!!
Make an impromptu stop with her at the borg that carries a similar tool, and remark how much more "reasonable",, say,, a DeWalt is in comparison.
(It reaaaaalllly helps if you plan this impromtu borg visit to coincide with stopping by an eatery first. Our local Lowes is right next to Applebee's)
Wife's eyes will light up and she'll strike faster than a Cobra to snatch the DeWalt off the shelf and have a nice warm glow over saving $$.
I have a nice little DeWalt ROS that can attest to this. ;)

- side benefit that sometimes happens - she'll surprise you with the Festool. :D

Ron Blaise
06-07-2007, 6:55 AM
to know if I can make her a particular item out of wood, I always say "sure, if I had the right tool"! I have learned that if they want something, they will pressure you to buy the tool to build it. That's how I got my drum sander, mortise, plainer, jointer, etc.:D Works every time! Then again, I don't have much to say when she wants big ticket items either :mad: :rolleyes: But, hey this has been going on for 40 years! See how much you have to look forward to?

Mike Cutler
06-07-2007, 8:00 AM
Tools are for men,what jewelry is for women.

The others are correct. Once a signiftcant other sees the actual tool being used in it's intended application. It seems to go better.

Rob Luter
06-07-2007, 8:04 AM
I know of a couple effective approaches.................

1) Logic - The trim guy wants $2,200 to do all the base molding and quarter round for our new wood floors. I can buy a sweet sliding compound miter saw and all the required materials for about $800.00. I've just saved us $1,400.00.

2) Reason - I saved 35% by taking advantage of the sale price. I can use this new purchase to build you something nice that I couldn't build before. After all, it's really all about you.

Other....

- It's better than a **** habit. (Insert vice of choice here)

- I could take up skydiving instead. Good parachutes are really pricey though.

- Can you do anything constructive with the jewelry you just bought?

Mike Cutler
06-07-2007, 8:11 AM

Wow!!! You live a dangerous and exciting life.:eek: .;)

Don Bullock
06-07-2007, 8:30 AM
'Cuz I already have one pair of shoes!

Mike

I solved that problem a long time ago. My shoe collection isn't as big as hers, but it's close.

Hello Randy,

Serious answer - get her involved in some way.

... :D

With my wife there is no way that's going to happen. She has absolutely no interest in any kinds of crafts at all. I do get her to help out when I need extra hands in the shop though. When she helps, she sees the kinds of problems I have and what a better tool will do for me. This year, however, I've used that one too much. It was rather easy talking her into my SawStop. Safety and ease of use she understands well, but I spent my wad for a while. I'm O.K. with that because right now I don't have enough space for any other large tools.

I know of a couple effective approaches.................

1) Logic - The trim guy wants $2,200 to do all the base molding and quarter round for our new wood floors. I can buy a sweet sliding compound miter saw and all the required materials for about $800.00. I've just saved us $1,400.00.

2) Reason - I saved 35% by taking advantage of the sale price. I can use this new purchase to build you something nice that I couldn't build before. After all, it's really all about you....

Actually these work for me most of the time. The LOML understands sales. This year I've been able to get some very good "deals" on some tools. As for the contractor vs buying the right tools, that works to a point, but when used it means that I end up with a job that I have to do before the projects I may want to do. Since we're planning on moving to a place in a couple of years where we can have more room for our dogs ( we have 7 and more are planned), she understands that where ever we go I'll need tools to do some remodeling.

Byron Trantham
06-07-2007, 9:23 AM
I'm lucky (I think), she sews and when I say sew I mean SEW! She has almost double the amount of money invested in sewing machines (2 at $7,000 each! plus others) than I do in my tools. The most expensive tool I have is $1,500 for the Unisaw. The money for the last job I did was supposed to get me a new 8" jointer, nope a software upgrade for her sewing machine $1,400! Sounds bad but it isn't, she knows what's going on so when I want something, she is the first one to "insist" that I go out and buy it.:D

Jim Becker
06-07-2007, 9:49 AM
I've never had this problem (really...I'm not kidding)...Professor Dr SWMBO (and also my former spouse) never had any issue with tool purchases, etc.

Randy Lee
06-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Wow, I just logged on for the first time and found all of the responses to the thread. Thanks for the advice, both serious and not-so-serious.

My wife certainly has a lot of shoes, so that's a good route. I don't know about any of you, but she also has a ton of scrapbooking supplies. Have you ever seen what scrapbookers pay for supplies? We're talking $3.00 to $4.00 sometimes for one sheet of paper or a few stickers!!! What I've noticed is that women normally buy A LOT of smaller things, which end up adding up to A LOT MORE money than the bigger purchases men like to buy every once in a while. Am I right???

I like the idea of getting her involved too. I can't believe I never thought of that -- I guess I just like having some time to myself, you know.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem -- keep the posts coming. They sure are fun to read!

Thanks,
Randy

Don Orr
06-07-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm with Byron on this one. My wife keeps telling me to just go buy it-whatever it is. She often offers to "treat" me to something if I am hesitant due to cost or space or whatever. She is a potter with a complete-and I mean COMPLETE-studio and she also sews and has some very expensive equipment there too. She loves her tools and toys and thinks I should have the same luxury. Gotta love her for that-and many other things as well. We just went to a 2 weekend woodworking course together that was HER idea! She kept saying "Do you have one of those? Do you want one?" The school was in the same building as a Woodcraft store with a 10% discount to students-dangerous! :eek: :D We had a great time. We weren't blessed with children:( so our time and money is ours. Good and bad I guess.

Byron Trantham
06-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Geesh! Don, is right, I forgot about her scrap booking. She bought a cutting machine called a Criket (sp?) for $200. And the supplies----on my God she can spend a bunch on that stuff. On the serious side, she has created some really terrific scrap book pages. Oh and she never buys anything retail. If it's not on sale or she doesn't have a 40% coupon, it doesnt get bought. As most of you know our stuff is rarely on sale and when it is it's 10-20% off. I learned early NOT to tell her about sales on tools.:D

Dan Lee
06-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Randy
Never had this problem as long as money wasn't an issue. My wife bought a jet mini lathe couple years ago and tool buying is even less of an issue now:D
Dan

Randy Lee
06-07-2007, 10:27 AM
I should probably stop complaining about her paying for scrapbooking stuff too I suppose -- that probably just gives her a reason to complain about me buying tools.

I can understand that she wants nice stuff to produce nice results. I just want to her realize that I want one of the new Blum planes (www.blumtool.com/pages/benchplanes.html (http://www.blumtool.com/pages/benchplanes.html)) because I also want something nice to produce nice results.

Man -- I'm thinking she's going to have a difficult time with that argument!!! :D

Jim Becker
06-07-2007, 10:32 AM
I think it's important to point out that "indoor or outdoor plumbing" has nothing to do with this kind of dilemma if it exists. Some partners have sensitivities towards purchases of things they don't personally feel a need for; others do not. This is a personality trait, rather than a gender issue. And I have no doubt that SMC's female members may sometimes get the same reaction from their partners when they step up to buy that cabinet saw or whatever, too!

Oh, welcome to SMC, Randy.

Jeff Raymond
06-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Holy Cow:

C'mon, GUY UP!

Of course we need more tools. Just go out and get them. If you have to get permission or blah-blah-blah, you've got more problems than you thought. :D

Randy Lee
06-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Good point about the gender issue, Jim. Speaking in generalities has gotten me into trouble before -- don't ever tell a 6 foot 2 inch woman named Olga that you can beat her in arm wrestling just because "men are stronger than women!" (JK)

Hey, I can't believe that you used to be married to my current wife (Dr. SWMBO). :) I had to look that acronym up, and it gave me a good chuckle when I figured it out.

For those who don't know, it means "She Who Must Be Obeyed".

glenn bradley
06-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Speaking of shoes, I built a 36 pair shoe rack as part of LOML's closet rebuild. It's time for a 72 pair rig or a 12 step program. Maybe we could have a 'shoe to clamp' ratio analysis?

Jeff Raymond
06-07-2007, 10:51 AM
"She Who Must Be Obeyed".

Look, I am married to a post-menopausal Slovak, retired, Russian Orthodox RN Hospice nurse. (You wanna know tough?)

I get the stuff I want because I do a few things for her and the kids (a real heart jabber for chicks). But in order to do it, I have to have the stuff to get it done. Simple.

As to what I am in the process of buying? (Heh-heh).

Film at 11.

glenn bradley
06-07-2007, 10:53 AM

Oh my gosh, somebody hide that post. Them's fightin' words 'round my woman.

Don Bullock
06-07-2007, 11:39 AM
... It's time for a 72 pair rig or a 12 step program. Maybe we could have a 'shoe to clamp' ratio analysis?

Now there's a great idea!!!;) :D

Michael Lutz
06-07-2007, 11:40 AM
How my Dr. SWMBO feels about it, depends on the day. If it is needed for a project OK. If it is not needed, well we will probably have to wait. When your house needs major repairs and renovations, money is tight to buy tools of possible future use.:( Actually quite a few of the tools in the shop are hers (planer, scroll saw, 4 air nailers and staplers, Leigh DT jig).

Mike

Don Bullock
06-07-2007, 11:49 AM
I think it's important to point out that "indoor or outdoor plumbing" has nothing to do with this kind of dilemma if it exists. Some partners have sensitivities towards purchases of things they don't personally feel a need for; others do not. This is a personality trait, rather than a gender issue. And I have no doubt that SMC's female members may sometimes get the same reaction from their partners when they step up to buy that cabinet saw or whatever, too!

Oh, welcome to SMC, Randy.

Jim, that's a great point. One thing the LOML and I have agreed on since the beginning is that we decide together on major purchases. It has worked out very well for us. She has things that she "needs" as well as I do, but overall I'd say I'm ahead in the spending. That's one reason I am careful at times rather than buying everything I "need." For us working together, even in our professional jobs as classroom teachers, has worked out very well. Our relationship is rather unique. Couples have to work out what's best for them inorder for their relationship to flourish.

John Hulett
06-07-2007, 12:00 PM
It's time for a 72 pair rig or a 12 step program.

Wouldn't a 12-step program involve another 6-pair of shoes:confused:

Montgomery Scott
06-07-2007, 12:05 PM
I have never asked for permission to buy what I wanted for the shop, nor will I. If I decide I want or need a tool or wood I make sure I can make the budget work and get it.

On major decisions we come to an agreement after discussion; e.g. house, city, car, school, job.

Both she and her family has been the recipient of many gifts that came from the shop and she knows that when I did not have all the tools I needed that I would have to travel to my dad's place to use them, which was not always convenient.

Glenn Clabo
06-07-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm with a few others on this...I don't have any problem with buying tools or other items of interest. In fact she surprises me with them often...like the 50 inch Sony Plasma hanging on the wall. Many years ago she bought me a tool I already had so she MAKES me update the Lee Valley wish list every few months...so it will never happen again. Of course I don't have a problem with that...

Jay Keller
06-07-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm with a few others on this...I don't have any problem with buying tools or other items of interest. In fact she surprises me with them often...like the 50 inch Sony Plasma hanging on the wall. Many years ago she bought me a tool I already had so she MAKES me update the Lee Valley wish list every few months...so it will never happen again. Of course I don't have a problem with that...
Doest the Amazon wishlist have a more comprehensive and cheaper selection of tools.?

Jim Grill
06-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I too have issues convincing SWMBO that I need tools. The price of lumber comes up often, too. She watches every dollar and is always talking about retiring, paying down loans, etc.

I have a lot of old tools and used tools. I guess I'm lucky and have most of what I need, but it's never enough, right?

Recently I put together a list of some things I wanted and put it into a spreadsheet. I talked to her about it and she shot me down before I was even finished explaining why I needed them. She only cared about the total dollar amount at the bottom and would not hear anything else.

I spent some time finding alternatives and really tried hard to get better deals. I waited until she was in a good mood and mentioned that, after careful consideration, I agreed with her that it was excessive and told her how much I found out I could save after some extensive research.

She thought it was "cute" that I tried so hard to save money and agreed that I could buy the items on my new list, which was now at about half the original dollar amount.

I have to admit, the original list was best-of-the-best and MSRP prices. :D So, at the end of the day, I got everything I really wanted and she is happy that I care about our finances, which I really do.

Is that manipulative? I don't think so. I love my wife. I just know how to make her happy: saving money.

John Hulett
06-07-2007, 12:16 PM
About a month ago or so, the wife went on a rant about, "how many more tools do you need to buy anyway? Don't you have what you need already? It's just taking up more and more space in the garage." And so on, and so on.

I told her, there will be more.:cool:

I suggested that if she parks outside and there would be more room in the garage.;) And if she did that, I'd spend more time working and less time rearranging stuff before I start and when I'm done.:D

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I was up in Oregon on business. The company I work for is in the trucking company, and I was at dinner with the VP and a director. I hinted I'd like to buy a SawStop and put it on the back of one of our trucks on a linehaul back to SoCal. No sales tax in Oregon, local pickup (SawStop is based in the Portland area), cheap freight... I'd be in business. They said sure! Go buy it today. Unfortunately, if I were to have done it, SWMBO would have had a COW.:eek: Of course, that's lead to weeks of ribbing of "it's your money," and "who wears the pants?" and "why don't you just reach down and grab a pair?" and so on, and so on.

Next year, when the bonus comes I'll be buying the SawStop

-John

Al Killian
06-07-2007, 12:28 PM
I just reminder her of all her home inteiror party's that goes to. Our house a a closet full of candles and candle holders that we dont have room for.:eek: If I mention this it make buyibg tools easy. I still dont not see way they need to spend $10 on a candle that can be found at a local store for a buck.:confused:

Greg Cole
06-07-2007, 12:56 PM
I am with what seems the minority.... My wife could care less what I spend my $ on. If it's tools, tooling, lumber/supplies she's totally fine with it. There are so many other hobbies or ways to spend time & money and have little or nothing to show for it..... I believe that if I am going to use it more than once, I'll just buy it. I'll always have it.
Last year I replaced all the siding (including adding additional insulation, housewrap etc), roofing, windows and am just now finishing up replacing the big old PT deck I ripped off with a "trex" deck and brick paver patio. All totalled bids submitted for the above mentioned total at least $30,000. I decided to buy a few items for the work including roofing & siding nailers, Mikwaukee 28V cordless kit... and a few other piddly things, maybe $2k. My out of pocket for everything is @ $10,000. Do ya think I'd entertain any lip service about buying anything...from anyone? :D
Some of the age old issue here is guys wanting things that they think they need or "have to have" that gets used for a few times when new. Once the shine wears off it gets shoved aside.
Funny little talk the wife and I had the other day.... one of those "what if's" of if something were to happen to me, she asked what would she do with all my stuff in the shop? My simple answer was to GIVE it to someone that you KNOW will USE THEM... most have been used enough where they are paid for in my eyes. I take good care of my tools, but I use them for what they were purchased for.

Dave Anderson NH
06-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Having been empty nesters now for a good number of years, Sue and I are in the situation of having to pay the mortgage, the monthly bills, and save for retirement. Other than that, our funds are for our discretionary use. We both work and have decent though not stellar incomes. Sue golfs and I work wood. The general rule is that we buy what we want without consultation up to a max limit of $500. Above that amount we discuss the situation. It's simple, fair, and has always worked well for us.

Jeff Raymond
06-07-2007, 1:54 PM
Greg:

Good man.

My wife was a Hospice Nurse, so we don't say, "What if." We say, "When."

I figure that between this moment and when I croak, I will do pretty much what I have to do to be happy. Having just come out of the ful-time RV lifestyle, tools are peanuts. We were driving a rig that cost us $300 a day to operate...and you couldn't get out of a repair shop for the most minor thing for under $2K.

So tools are peanuts compared to that and you actually have something left over..ah, the tool or the project just completed. Heck, we still have a little testosterone, left, let's use it for goodness sakes.

A few $10 candles=several board feet of quality FAS cherry wood IMHO.

Matt Campbell
06-07-2007, 3:34 PM
I am definitely sending this thread to LOML right now. :D

Bill Wyko
06-07-2007, 4:17 PM
I truly believe I have the most difficult woman of all to deal with. She's one of those women that almost never compliments and always has an opinion on how "SHE" would have done it. I found that if I don't even tell her she'll never notice it but if I ask her opinion, my task will go from 1 hour to one week. Mainly because this is the way "SHE" would do it. I think all of this only proves that......THERE ALL SISTERS! As far as new tools goes, don't ask, don't tell. Do ask....do deny.:D

The other day I was putting the flashing on the roof of my new shop. If any of you have done this you know driving a nail through plywood without a backer makes the hammer bounce and the nail isn't very easy to put in. Wellllll the LOML comes out and says she doesn't like the way the flashing is laying against the fascia. I told her if you don't like it, why don't you give it a try? She now has something to prove:p It took her about 1/2 an hour to get one nail in. She says to me she could get a job putting nails in flashing:eek: I told her 2 nails an hour doesn't pay very well:D I did sleep good that night.....alone:cool: BTW she ended up putting the nail back in the hole from the original nail.:confused: I should have took pictures.

Mick Zelaska
06-07-2007, 4:36 PM
When my better half complains :mad: about a new tool, I simply remind her that she's lucky that shop tools are the only vice that I have . I don't smoke, don't drink (Ok, maybe a beer or two;) ) and I come home every night to the family. I also save a lot of money on plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc., by doing all house repairs myself.

Whoa! Wait a minute - I think I just talked myself into ordering that Festool Domino Joiner!:D

Bill Wyko
06-07-2007, 4:40 PM
Mick. I think you talked yourself into it too.:D

Jim Becker
06-07-2007, 4:57 PM
Hey, I can't believe that you used to be married to my current wife (Dr. SWMBO).

Must be some other Dr. SWMBO...mine managed to avoid marrying anyone else until she met me...:D

Glenn Clabo
06-07-2007, 5:51 PM
Jay..................................

thomas prevost
06-07-2007, 6:42 PM
what about the blender, deep fryer, wafflemaker, coffeepots, expresso maker, etc in the kitchen???? Different tools to do different jobs. Does she ask permission to purchase?

Jim Becker
06-07-2007, 8:29 PM
what about the blender, deep fryer, wafflemaker, coffeepots, expresso maker, etc in the kitchen???? Different tools to do different jobs. Does she ask permission to purchase?

Hey...I buy all those kind of things, too! :D

Don Bullock
06-07-2007, 10:33 PM

Oh, I made the terrible mistake of giving the LOML some appliacce for the kitchen as a Christmas present. I'll never make that mistake again!!:eek: To sum up the lecture, kitchen items aren't appropriate "gifts." Items for the kitchen aren't hers. They are necessary items for the house. Sue I could say the same for my tools, but it doesn't seem to work in reverse.:confused:

BTW --- She has never refused a tool purchase and has been very supportive this year as I've been buying the tools to set up my shop.

Tom Maple
06-07-2007, 11:46 PM
As UPS delivers another small box from Amazon or Lee Valley my wife asks "is that for the saw?" She considers the new shop equipment to consist of a table saw and nothing more. I suspect there will be more comments as the crates are opened in the next few weeks. Being self employed, I just tell her it's for work.
Also, it doesn't hurt that she bought a $6000. dollar sewing machine, so I have a comeback if needed.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-07-2007, 11:55 PM
I'm one of the lucky ones. My wife has never said "No" to a tool purchase. She could have retired 3 years ago but continued working afterwards so she could have a skeleton shop built for me. I did the electrical, insulation and so forth.....Sometimes....like my future Mustard lathe.....she'll tell me I need to wait but then later this fall.....a PM3520B, a 17" bandsaw, a real planer and an Oneida DC should be in my shop curtosey of the same woman. We both hope to retire in 2 years........She'll tell you...until I was given a lathe......We always got our money's worth out of every tool I've bought......someday maybe we'll get a return on the turning tools.

Charlie Patterson
06-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Randy: I must be married to the world's best wife. My wife in 20 years has never ask any questions about tools. When we first started dating 25 years ago she bought me a craftsman circular saw and the bearing went up after two small projects, she bought me another craftsman and it lasted about 2 years and the bearings went up again. I finally set her down and explained the difference between craftsman and the more professional brands. Ever since then she understands that good tools cost money. The only thing I try to do is shop for the best price when it comes time to buy a new tool. I have a workshop detached from our house and she does not even know the combination to the shop and she very rarely visits when I am working out there. when ever we have a large project we want to do if I need a tool that I do not have already the cost gets included in the budget. My boys are getting near the age that I can start handing down tools when I get new ones also so thats even better for me.

Good Luck
Charlie

P.S. NO she does not have a sister

Barry Moyer
06-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Randy,
My wife is into crafts also. Stamping up and shje is Longaberger Consultant. You got to get your wife into a craft. I just bought a used mini lathe and she thought that was cool to maybe make some pens. So when our busy schedules loosen up we are going to take a class together at our local Woodcraft store. I also built her a Craftroom in the basement. Get you spouse a hobby and take it from there.
Barry Moyer

Benjimin Young
06-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Reminds me of a Dagar comic strip a long time back.

She: Why do you keep buying bigger boats?
Him: Why not, youy keep buying bigger dresses.

On the serious side, whenever I contimplate a new tool she asks, and where are you going to fit that in your shop. Unfortunately, more often than not she is right.

Maybe I'll "by" a bigger shop ..... hmmm

Brian Myers
06-08-2007, 1:29 PM
Just tell her the more tools you have, the less likely you are to go out running around on her. Just don`t tell her you will not be leaving the shop much either!;):D:eek:

Randy Lee
06-09-2007, 2:49 AM
Man, it's been fun to read the responses on this thread.

Just out of curiosity, what would you do if your lady made you choose between her or buying more tools? For instance, she says she is leaving you if you spend one more dime on another tool.

Dave MacArthur
06-09-2007, 4:05 AM
In that case, there probably is some serious financial problem, or maybe a financial/teamwork combo problem... and if it's bad enough there is an ultimatum, she is probably right. I'd remember that there are two hundred guys on this forum who can help you work around how to get something done without the perfect tool, but none of THEM is going to be there for you when you get sick or life gets hard and you need someone to hold you. And neither will your tool.

I've seen tool manufacturers advertise many crazy claims, but love has never been on the list! ;) Serious answer to a kinda serious question ;)

Dave MacArthur
06-09-2007, 4:09 AM
Here's one for the thread:
I lost about 10 pounds installing my JET air Filtration and my shop wiring. I was quick to point this out to the wife, and how much more exercise I was getting out in the shop USING tools, than I would be just sitting on the couch watching OTHER guys use them on TV shows. I then went jogging that night and picked up flowers at Safeway on the way home.

Tomorrow I am off to look at prospects for my newly authorized 17" bandsaw! ;)

Kerry Wright
06-09-2007, 4:44 AM
I too am one of the lucky ones. Many years ago I managed to convince my wife of two very important rules.

1. You can buy quality once or you can buy cheap the rest of your life.

2. Every new project requires a new tool.

I managed to convince her of the first one by always insisting she get the best when it came to kitchen appliances or cooking utensils and anything she bought for any hobby she had. She quickly learned (and it has been proven) rule # 1 is true.

For rule two, I just told her that's the way you get a good collection of quality tools without breaking the bank.

Another way I keep her support is to let her get involved in whatever project I'm working on. The most recent is building my dreamshop, she's more excited about it's completion than I am. She's is looking forward to taking up wood carving and doing the decorative stuff on the furniture I build.

Brad Naylor
06-09-2007, 12:23 PM
I spent my wad

This expression has a totally different meaning here in England!

Oh boy, does it have a different meaning!

Found on a very different kind of website too!:o :D :eek:

Bill Wyko
06-09-2007, 1:22 PM
I've recently inundated her with new tools for the new shop so I think she's starting to give up.:D I blame it on the JET mini I got in December.:rolleyes: If I made a list it would probably take a page. :eek:

Bob Childress
06-09-2007, 3:57 PM
Interesting thread! The replies run the gamut and a marriage counselor would have a field day. :D

When I first met my wife she made it clear she hated doing the finances (I had to balance her checkbook for her--going back 3 years! Her idea was to every now and then just close the account and change banks to balance it up--true story). Anyhoo, the deal is this:

She says, "You can buy anything you want, dear. I trust you with the money. I know you wouldn't do anything to hurt our finances." Brother, the pressure is on! :p So I buy what I "need" when I need it, but I think long and hard each time.

[It helps that she loves to sand and has "adopted" the RO150 as Her Sander. Last week I added a DX93 and told her it was Her New Toy. So far it's working.:) ]

Dave Morris
06-09-2007, 6:46 PM
To quote Randy's first post-- "... a great list of reasons why men NEED more tools. I am hoping to use these reasons on my wife the next time she complains about spending money on another tool. "

1) "It's genetic, men are pre-wired to buy tools."

2) "If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand."

3) " The fossil record shows that the cave men with the newest, bestest stone tools were the ones that survived."

4) "3 bazillion dollars in marketing can't be wrong."

5) "The old tools are stained, everybody knows you can't do good work without a new, clean tool."

6) None of the above apply.

Men don't NEED more tools. Having the right tool for the job is a blessing from the gods. Having a wife that understands this is a Blessing from God Himself.

All I know is this: I count my blessings every day. ;)