PDA

View Full Version : Some new bowls

Patrick Taylor
06-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Here are some recent completions:

First is a boxelder bowl, 7" wide, with a nice ambrosia streak and a natural hole & bark inclusion. It's treated with danish oil, buffed, and waxed.

Second is a madrone burl, 6" diameter, buffed and treated with mineral oil.

Third is a beech enclosed form with a bark inclusion, 5" diameter, with danish oil, buffed, and waxed.

All comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Mark Cothren
06-06-2007, 11:51 PM
I like them all, Patrick - but that Box Elder is really sweet! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
06-07-2007, 7:17 AM
I agree. They are all great bowls and nicely done. The box elder though is a beauty.

Tony De Masi
06-07-2007, 7:17 AM
Patrick, I like them all too. Love the form of the boxelder but the figure on the madrone is awesome. Great work.

Tony

Mark Pruitt
06-07-2007, 8:12 AM
All are nicely done, Patrick!
I too like the box elder best.

Dave Carey
06-07-2007, 8:17 AM
Beautiful work Patrick. It seems to me that you've done a great job of matching the form and the wood. Each form is pleasing but also seems to fit the "personality" of the wood. Hope that makes sense (it does to me!) Cheers

Steve Schlumpf
06-07-2007, 8:33 AM
Very nice work on all three bowls Patrick! Each has it's own personality and deserves a posting of it's own!

I really like the form on the boxelder bowl. It looks thin, balanced and has beautiful color.

The burl has beautiful grain and I like the way you left some heft to the wood. One of those cases where a thin bowl just wouldn't have had as much appeal.

I like the form you chose for the beech and the way you kept the bark inclusion and used it as part of the design.

Once again, very nice work! I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Keith Burns
06-07-2007, 8:37 AM
Patrick, all three are great !! Since we are "voting" for a favorite I too like the box elder . Great stuff:) :)

Frank Kobilsek
06-07-2007, 8:53 AM
Patrick

Good work. The BE shows a little couragousness with the hole so close to the foot.

Frank

TYLER WOOD
06-07-2007, 9:10 AM
Excelent forms on all cases. I too prefer the box elder. The shape I think is perfect. The wood is outstanding. The finish is just right. I would dare to say it is one of my favorites I've seen here.

Ken LaSota
06-07-2007, 9:21 AM
Pat nice work I to like the BE it looks great with the hole,the other two have nice shape and graining .
Ken

Nancy Laird
06-07-2007, 9:52 AM
Patrick, all of these are very nice, but I really like that beech bowl. It just grabs my eye.

Nancy

Shane Whitlock
06-07-2007, 10:30 AM
I like them all but really like the Box Elder ... Great job

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Brian Myers
06-07-2007, 10:35 AM
They are all sweet but the boxelder is also my fav. Question for Andy Hoyt - Would the boxelder bowl work for ice cream if on a diet?:D:D:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
06-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Nice work Patrick.

On the last one, my personal preference would have been to not have the wide foot. My eye travels down the beautiful curve of the upper 3/4 of the vessel and then it interrupted by the counter curve to a very wide base. Please note that this is just a personal preference...no more.

Patrick Taylor
06-07-2007, 1:28 PM
Thanks everybody! The BE was my favorite too.

Steve: I agree that the madrone needed more heft, and it has a nice weight and stability to it.

Jim: I agree about the form on the beech. I'm not too crazy about that aspect, but I liked the inclusion just enough to not trash it.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement everyone! :)

Joseph Peacock
06-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Those are good!:D ;) :cool: