PDA

View Full Version : Used DJ-20...worth it?

daniel lane
06-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Assuming I can still get it, I know of someone selling a "works perfectly" DJ-20 with a spare set of knives. Looking at it, I think it is probably more machine than I need, but for $875 (asking), it may be worth considering. Those of you with more knowledge of these than I (i.e. all of you!), how hard should I pursue this?

Edit: Given just the above, I realized that most of you would probably recommend jumping on it. To confuse the issue, I should point out that (a) I do not have the largest workshop, and (b) on my remaining budget, I still need to purchase a TS, jointer, and some hand tools. Money saved on one of those 3 goes to the others. :)

TIA,

daniel

Dave MacArthur
06-06-2007, 11:47 PM
I just bought one, the asking (CraigsList) was $1000, I got it for $700. You might be able to likewise get it slightly less, depending on where/who you buy from.

I love mine, and although I am a weekend hobbyist just making stuff for my own home and some rentals, I am glad I replaced a 6" shortbed. My perception is that the "patent" on the DJ20 is up, and it has been essentially copied by several, including Grizzly.

The question really is, "Who makes the best copy, and is it better than the original?". The similar Grizzly (0490) was highly rated in recent magazine 8" jointer review, and got top place. Some of that may have been for it's lower price, but it did very well in all aspects. Here is the link to the "copy" of the DJ20, the 490:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0490
which they now have delivered to you for $895 (50$off today). Note it also comes with a built in mobile base.

I personally would have bought that one, had I not been able to find a DJ20 for less. In my mind, after researching 8" jointers (which I WOULD RECOMMEND over a 6", if you are even close financially!), I wanted a DJ20 or a Powermatic, but only for equal or less than the Grizzly.

I xeroxed off the magazine article comparing DJ20 and the Grizzly (PM or FW, about 5 months ago?), and printed the internet page above showing Grizz prices, and showed up at the seller's house so armed, and using that as bargaining power (along with "no warranty...") got him down to $700. Have cash in hand, it's a powerful motivator...
Good luck!

Matt Day
06-07-2007, 7:34 AM
I completely agree with Dave. I think the Shop Fox W1741 is the same model as the Grizzly he quoted, just a different color.

Michael Lutz
06-07-2007, 9:34 AM
I put a DJ-20 in a smaller shop than the one you are working on. It is just a little longer and a little wider than a 6" jointer. I would say go for it. That is less than what I paid 2 years ago.:(

Mike

Jim Becker
06-07-2007, 9:47 AM
I agree with Michael, it would be a good buy unless it needs major work. Good machine!

daniel lane
06-07-2007, 4:04 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. As I've been researching the unit, I found quite a bit of info on the Yorkcraft YC-8J through FWW. If things don't work out with the DJ-20, I may go this route. Looks like a nice unit, and Wilke seems to be listing them for ~$600, which helps that budget thing.

By the way, I really do appreciate using all of you as sounding boards. I sometimes feel like I chose the wrong hobby 'cause nobody in my family since my great-grandfather has done any woodworking, and I don't have any close friends (yet!) off of whom I can bounce stuff. I have to specify "close" there because I've gotten to where I feel I know several of you and count you as friends! :D

daniel

Michael Lutz
06-07-2007, 5:08 PM
Daniel,

You may want check if Wilke is actually still selling the Yorkcraft brand. Since there has been talk in another thread of them getting out of the import buisness.

Mike

David Weaver
06-07-2007, 5:11 PM
I may be a little late, but my WW buddy has a DJ-20 - for the 8 inchers, it's a nice jointer.

daniel lane
06-09-2007, 1:32 PM
You may want check if Wilke is actually still selling the Yorkcraft brand. Since there has been talk in another thread of them getting out of the import buisness.

I swear I replied to this, but I guess the mind tricks of age are finally starting.

Michael, I recall now that there was discussion about Wilke getting out of the import business, thanks for the reminder. However, as I made a deal for the DJ-20, it looks like I'm no longer in the market for a jointer!

When making that deal, by the way, I met another Creeker in person - and I once again felt very, very happy that not only does this place exist, but that I found it and joined! What a great community! :D

daniel

Gary Herrmann
06-09-2007, 1:48 PM
Good choice on the jointer.