PDA

View Full Version : Legend 24TT Network Printing Settings

Allan Wright
06-06-2007, 9:24 PM
OK, my laser has arrived...."Yay!"

It didn't come with the manual though, so I have an e-mail into Epilog tech support for one. Until it arrives, could someone answer me a question about setting up the engraver using a crossover ethernet cable?

I KNOW I have the cable and IP address setting set correctly because I can ping the laser from the computer. When I set up the printer port as a LPR network port, I don't know what the proper 'queue' name is. I've tried 'raw', 'epilog', and 'legend'.

I'd appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks from a noob.
Al

Roy Brewer
06-07-2007, 1:57 AM
could someone answer me a question about setting up the engraver using a crossover ethernet cable?

When I set up the printer port as a LPR network port, I don't know what the proper 'queue' name is. I've tried 'raw', 'epilog', and 'legend'.

Allan,

Legend (case sensitive) is what the system expects for a queue name. And, if you can ping it, that's the end of the questions on crossover!

Two other things that occasionally stands in the way:
1) after a few "false starts," windows often puts the printer "Offline" and forces you to manually "uncheck" that. Check for that if it doesn't work after setting the proper queue name.
2) every once in a while, people put "003" instead of "3" (example only) when assigning the IP address in configuring the print driver.

HTH,

Peck Sidara
06-07-2007, 9:53 AM
Allan,

Configure your PC to "LPR" and not RAW. The queue name as Mr. Brewer has stated is case sensitive and should be Legend. Printer name is the IP address, it should auto-fill. Tech support has a document that covers all of this. Hope that helps.

Allan Wright
06-07-2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks guys - I did get it working using 'Legend' instead of 'legend'.

I'm using the autocad driver. I've been able to do some tests, but setting up my page sizes to match the laser so far is giving me a bit of trouble. I can work the colors to control power and speed, but I'm having a dickens of a time setting up the page sizes.

This is using Autocad. I haven't tried corel yet, as I'm going to be doing most of my work from cad.

The printer driver comes with a special paper size of 48"x48" but using that troubles me with a 24x12 laser. I guess I just need to fiddle around with making a custom Autocad drawing template with the true laser boundries on it and then always use that.

At least the color selector in the printer driver is easy to use. I've already figured out power and speed settings for cutting 1/16" balsa.

Peck Sidara
06-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Allan,

Email tech support requesting documentation on using AutoCAD. If I recall you'll want to use a page size of 24X24 instead of 24X12 and just keep your artwork positioned in the upper 24X12 area. Using a page size of 24X12 or something that isn't square will result in your drawing not properly positioned when sent to the laser.

Allan Wright
06-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks I'll send them off an e-mail right now. I checked the technical information on the website, but it only talks about installing the driver, not page setups.

Allan Wright
06-08-2007, 3:39 PM
I believe I have it working fairly well. I've nailed down the orientation and things seem pretty consistant on location. I do seem to have one small problem though. My 24x12 laser can handle the full 24" width, but the gantry hits the hard stop before it draws a full 12" segment in the Y axis.

I'm going to cut a 20x10 box in some paper next and measure it to make sure my scaling is not off.

Peck Sidara
06-08-2007, 3:42 PM
Allan,

It's possible that you're I-beam isn't straight and therefore causing the left side to hit the front stop before the right side does. Since the y-axis home sensor is on the right, this is likely the case. Consult with tech support for more info on how to get this issue "straightened" out.

Allan Wright
06-08-2007, 4:10 PM
Will do as soon as I get home.

Allan,

It's possible that you're I-beam isn't straight and therefore causing the left side to hit the front stop before the right side does. Since the y-axis home sensor is on the right, this is likely the case. Consult with tech support for more info on how to get this issue "straightened" out.

Paul Proffitt
06-08-2007, 5:31 PM
I've encountered this occasionally with my Legend 24TT. It happens when the air assist host that runs along the right side gets bunched up in just the wrong way and gets between the beam and the rubber stop. Seems like there used to be something that prevented that originally. But, a while back mine was rebuilt by Epilog after an unfortunate transit altercation with a fork lift. If there was supposed to be something supporting that coiled hose, it isn't there now. You might check that on yours.

Paul Proffitt
Legend 24TT, 45 Watt

Allan Wright
06-10-2007, 12:16 AM
I've encountered this occasionally with my Legend 24TT. It happens when the air assist host that runs along the right side gets bunched up in just the wrong way and gets between the beam and the rubber stop. Seems like there used to be something that prevented that originally. But, a while back mine was rebuilt by Epilog after an unfortunate transit altercation with a fork lift. If there was supposed to be something supporting that coiled hose, it isn't there now. You might check that on yours.

Paul Proffitt
Legend 24TT, 45 Watt

Yes that looks like what's happening exactly!

My hose, which looks like it should coil up when the carrage is all the way forward, sort of bunches up. I guess the hose lost its spring. All I did to resolve it was cut my area short by .05". That seems to give the hose enough room. I doubt I'll ever need to cut anything within .05" of the 12" edge anyways.

If I have to I'll order a new air-assist hose.

Thanks for the tip Paul.

Also, regarding the original reson for this post. I believe I've figured out the drivers with Autocad. The tip in the manual (which I received the day after this post started) had a tip about using a square drawing area in autocad, but only using the part that maps to the plotter bed. That seemed to do the trick.

I actually made some product today, and started on the road towards paying for this thing!