PDA

View Full Version : Picket Fence Construction

Charles Wilson
06-06-2007, 8:21 PM
My wife and I have been discussing a fence for the yard that I will be building.

At the center of the discussion, how to put the fence up?

1) Put in all the posts and build the panels.

2) Put in two posts, build a panel, attach panels. Start over.

So, which do you prefer?

Chuck

Al Killian
06-06-2007, 8:26 PM
If the ground is fairly level and all the panels will be the same size, then I would build them first. Then put all the post in and install the sections.

Ben Grunow
06-06-2007, 8:51 PM
What is the design of the fence. Pickets with the tops all the same distance above the ground (tops aligned) can be installed after the posts and rails are up and the spacing of the posts is not so critical. Easier to work with small pieces than whole sections.

If the tops are dipped between posts then I would put one post in, dig the second hole, then add the section to the first post and attach the second post to the end of the first section and let it hang in the hole. THen brace it plumb and backfill with heavily compacted earth (no concrete here- this could start a major debate).

This method allows the second post to be held plumb in one direction by attaching it to the fence (place block under fence section to keep it up off the grass while hanging the post from it) while the brace holds it the other way and you backfill. Repeat as needed.