PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep from chipping the legs...

Jim Stoppleworth
06-06-2007, 8:10 PM
on a square floating bowl?
Made my first attempt at one last week.
Had to do a lot of sanding to get smooth legs. Anyone have some tips for going from space to wood to space to wood and not get chipping on two of the legs?

Jim

Bill Wyko
06-06-2007, 8:37 PM
I've never tried it but I read that you need to do very, very light cuts but i don't know what tool they were using. The post I read was her about a couple weeks ago.

Jim Becker
06-06-2007, 9:09 PM
Bill has most of it...very light cuts with a SUPER sharp tool and at a reasonably safe but higher speed to keep the tool in contact with the wood as much as possible from a "time" standpoint.

Chris Barton
06-06-2007, 10:18 PM
lots and lots pf practice....

Rick Mellin
06-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Add four pieces of extra stock around the parimeter of your square bowl blank using double stick tape. Then mount and turn the piece on your lathe, when you are finished with the shape of the bowl, carefully remove the extra pieces of stock and I'm sure you will be pleased with the outcome. Rick

Jim Stoppleworth
06-07-2007, 4:07 AM
Add four pieces of extra stock around the parimeter of your square bowl blank using double stick tape. Then mount and turn the piece on your lathe, when you are finished with the shape of the bowl, carefully remove the extra pieces of stock and I'm sure you will be pleased with the outcome. Rick

Much too easy of a solution!!:D :D Thanks!

I've got an embroidery customer who saw the original bowl and has to have one just like that. I wasn't looking forward to all that extra sanding.

Jim

Bob Hamilton
06-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi, Jim:
I turn square edges pieces quite frequently. One thing I have found is that affects the amount of edge chipping (other than the points already made) is the wood species. Some varieties are just brittle and tend to chip out no matter how sharp the tool or light the cut. Purpleheart is about the worst wood I have used for this. For most pieces I turn square I have found that a few passes with a very sharp block plane or spoke shave will remove any chipped out areas and any rounding over of the leading edge that may have occurred during sanding.

http://bobhamswwing.com/Articles/LiddedBowl/Turning%20a%20Lidded%20Bowl3_files/image004.jpg

http://bobhamswwing.com/Articles/LiddedBowl/Turning%20a%20Lidded%20Bowl3_files/image006.jpg

Take care
Bob

Kaptan J.W. Meek
06-07-2007, 8:15 PM
RICK BEAT ME TOO IT!! Glue any kind of wood on the sides, heck you can use PINE!! It's SO much easier to turn, and SAFE TOO!!