PDA

View Full Version : Garage/shop a/c recommendations?

Rob Leslie
06-06-2007, 7:30 PM
I know there have been many threads about size of ac units to install in a garage shop, but I'm interested in what Brand of AC units (thru wall) that folks are happy/unhappy with. For example, Lowe's has a wide range of Samsung window units at reasonable prices (12,300 BTU for $249).

My second question is about installing a window unit into/though the wall. My garage is "finished" including a ceiling, but probably not insulated. I mainly want a unit to remove the summer heat/humidity in Houston. I'm not looking for an environment to hang out in all summer, just a unit to take the edge off so I can work for a few hours per day on weekends without suffering heat stroke. My garage/shop is a detached two car garage.

Any suggestions/comments are appreciated.

Rob

Don Bullock
06-06-2007, 8:05 PM
Rob, I've lived in Houston. Good luck on being able to "take the edge off" that heat and especially the humidity.:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Pat Germain
06-06-2007, 8:31 PM
I've never owned a Samsung A/C unit, but I use a lot of their monitors at work and they're great. I was looking at buying a Samsung plasma TV, which had a great picture. The only reason I didn't buy it was because it wasn't rated for high altitude (I live at 6,700 feet).

I see that A/C unit at Lowe's is a 115V, which raises the caution flag in my book.

I admit I'm not an HVAC guy and I haven't perused previous threads on the subject. I do have many years of experience living in old, poorly insulated houses in Oklahoma and Southern Virginia (very hot and very humid). In those experiences, I found the best 115V A/C unit will effectively cool a small 1/2 bathroom, if you leave it on for a long time, but that's about it.

On the other hand, I bought a 230V window unit rated at 14,800 BTU and it cooled my entire very small, but very old, house.

I know some of the 110V A/C units are rated with high BTU's, but it sure doesn't seem that way. Perhaps those ratings are absolute maximum peak which almost never happens (kind of like my Craftsman table saw being rated at "3 HP").

In order to walk into a hot, humid garage, turn on the A/C and get some relief reasonably fast, I think you're going to require a 230V unit. It will be well worth the extra $100. The 230V units just don't have to work nearly as hard to move, cool, and dehumidify the air. I expect a 230V unit would also last a lot longer.

That's just my take. I'm sure others with more knowledge will weigh in here.

Jerry White
06-06-2007, 8:47 PM
Rob,

I live in Katy, which certainly shares the Houston climate. I installed one of the Samsung 12,300 BTU units from Lowe's early last spring. So far, it has performed very well on cooling and reduction of humidity. On the hottest days of a South Texas summer, I think the unit is about at capacity, though.

I am using it in my shop of about 420 square feet (two car garage size). The room has a 9' ceiling, and is insulated on four walls and above the ceiling. I do have an uninsulated, steel, one car sized overhead garage door that is exposed to afternoon sun and that is a pretty good heat source. Hope to insulate that door one of these days! :)

My unit is installed in a window, but I have been around many installations that were in a "through the wall" configuration and they did well.

Before I bought my unit, I had the address of an online A/C sizing utility that is really handy. Now guess who can't find it. Sure thought I bookmarked it, but maybe someone else has it.

Good luck,

Jerry

Steven DeMars
06-06-2007, 9:58 PM
I live south of Baton Rouge, LA . . . Hot & humid here. I bought a GE 18,000 btu. Installed it thru the wall. Runs on 230 VAC. Appears to be working very well. I like this particular model due to it's intake/output configuration. Plan to build a filter unit on the front of it to protect it and to allow it to use standard central unit filters.

Did a lot of research on this and I think this is the best option for a shop the size of mine. 20' X 22' with 10' ceiling. Well insulated wood frame shop.

If you want to talk to me and ask any questions, PM me with your number and I'll call you back . . .

Take care,
Steve

Howard Rosenberg
06-06-2007, 9:59 PM
- planning on keeping the doors shut
- the only person working in the shop

If so, one ton (12,000 BTUs) will be fine.
Too big and you'll lower the temperature before you remove the humidity and your skin will feel weirdly clammy.

Samsung is a respected mfr of AC units.
They make all kinds and most of their output can take its place with Mitsubishi and Lennox etc.

Voltage on window units doesn't matter - a BTU is a BTU.

HTH
Howard

Rob Leslie
06-06-2007, 10:13 PM
- planning on keeping the doors shut
- the only person working in the shop

If so, one ton (12,000 BTUs) will be fine.
Too big and you'll lower the temperature before you remove the humidity and your skin will feel weirdly clammy.

Samsung is a respected mfr of AC units.
They make all kinds and most of their output can take its place with Mitsubishi and Lennox etc.

Voltage on window units doesn't matter - a BTU is a BTU.

HTH
Howard

Howard,

Yes, I'll have the doors shut and I'll be the only one in the "shop/garage" when the a/c is running. I'm kind of protective of my 230v outlet since I only have one and it will be dedicated to my new PM 3520B.

It looks like a Samsung is in my future.

Steve Prill
06-07-2007, 1:37 AM
Consumer Reports has rated a variety of A/C units up to 12,500 BTUs in the July, 2007 issue. The article references a fairly comprehensive online BTU calculator at www.consumerreports.org. The calculator is free for anyone to use and will calculate almost any size BTU requirement. The calculator indicated I needed about 15,100 BTUs for my 750 sq. ft. shop in Dallas. The calculator asks a variety of questions such as size and type of windows on each wall. I entered the square footage of my double wide garage door as equivalent to a single-pane, 96 sq. ft. window. I checked the product manuals for Samsung and Frigidaire window A/C units to find out how to mount the units through the wall. Samsung doesn't say a thing about it, but Frigidaire gives complete instructions--very cool! (pun intended). In general, the window units have higher SEER ratings and are cheaper than the dedicated through the wall units. Hope this helps, Steve

Carl Irving
06-07-2007, 1:45 PM
In my experience, modern mini-split air conditioners are the way to go. They are quiet and far more efficient than window units (the Daikin I have has an SEER of 16 but you can get Fujitsu units with higher SEERs that don't cost any more). They are relatively easy to install -- you only need to route freon & electrical lines to the outside -- and somewhat less ugly than an equivalent window unit.

The main downside is that they are much more expensive to purchase and install (the freon line setup is somewhat tricky, so professional help is recommended).

Here is a picture of the Daikin outside unit installed at our house:
http://albums.scroogieboy.com/House/06-05-20%20Daikin%20Mini-Split%20mounted%20on%20house/slides/DSCN0010.html

...compare that to the boxcar-sized wall unit on the garage:
http://albums.scroogieboy.com/House/01-04-04%20Garage%20AC%20outside/slides/IM000078.html

cwi

Ted Baca
06-07-2007, 1:52 PM
I can first off recommend that you insulate. Even finished walls can have the insulation blown in. I have a 936 sq ft garage/shp and have Sears 28000 BTU AC unit mounted in the wall. I have had it for about 5 years now an it does a good job of keeping the shop cool, as long as I run a fan to keep the air moving. But without the insulation I doubt very much that I would even keep the edge off.

James Manning
06-07-2007, 2:23 PM
When my shop was built I had them frame an opening for a 24,000 BTU whirlpool and it does a great job! :D

Rick Gooden
06-07-2007, 3:09 PM
I installed a Samsung 14.7k window unit, although I put it "through the wall", in a 500 sq. ft. shop yesterday. Today the temp is 92 with high humidity, but it's 75 in the shop. My walls are insulated but my ceiling isn't right now, but that will change this weekend.

Bill Wyko
06-07-2007, 4:47 PM
I just bought a kenmore from sears. The plastic bezel was flimsy but 15100 BTU for 399.00. It makes my 240 sqft shop w/ no insulation a refrigerator in about 10 minutes and I live in Tucson AZ. 30 miles from water and 3 feet from hell.:)

Scott Loven
06-07-2007, 5:11 PM
AC? My wife was running the HEAT last night here in Iowa! Outside temp was 55.
Scott

Rob Leslie
06-07-2007, 7:18 PM
AC? My wife was running the HEAT last night here in Iowa! Outside temp was 55.
Scott

Come on down to Houston, the water is fine (and the temp hit 91 today). Summer is here.....

Rob