PDA

View Full Version : Quick and Dirty Finishing on BB ply

Matt Lentzner
06-06-2007, 5:56 PM
What's a good finishing process for BB ply? I plan on making some functional furniture and just need something that looks decent and will last a few years. My first project will be a shoe hutch in the entryway (my wife is Chinese so we don't wear our shoes in the house).

I was planning on using BB ply, pocket screws, and a quick finish with the raw BB ply edges exposed. Not pretty, but having shoes all over our entryway is starting to bug me. I'll replace it with something nicer as my skills improve.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Matt

Larry Fox
06-06-2007, 6:07 PM
You have tons of options. However, for your purposes a WB poly might be just the ticket. Another option is Deft or even shellac. Waterlox is an another.

If you want to make the process interesting maybe try to brush a WB lacquer like TargetCoatings. Jeff Jewitt has an article on their site about how to do it.

http://www.targetcoatings.com/technician-jeff.html

glenn bradley
06-06-2007, 6:37 PM
Poly will take more abuse but, I use shellac on my shop cabinets and tool stands made of BB ply. I sand to 400 and use 3 - 4 coats, then paste wax. A couple units are over a year old and see shop use almost every day. Still look fine. Another thing is shellac can be touched up easily if required.

Jim Becker
06-06-2007, 8:09 PM
If you can spray, water borne acrylic is just fine for the job; with or without the evil polyurethane in its formula... ;)

Steve Schoene
06-06-2007, 10:49 PM
If you don't spray, shellac would work fine in that situation, and add a bit of richness to the color. Plenty durable since you aren't walking on it.

Matt Lentzner
06-07-2007, 4:55 PM
I don't have any spraying equipment so I need something I can brush or wipe on. It looks like shellac is pretty idiot proof, but I still have some questions. Forgive me, but all I know about finishing can fit between here>> and <<here.

What grit of paper should I start at? I'm assuming 3-4 coats would be good so how long will I need to wait between them? Do I sand between coats? What's a good mix of shellac? I really know nothing so if someone has the time to break it down for me I would be very appreciative.

A moment of silence for all the lac beetles that give their small lives so my furniture could be finished...

Thanks in advance,

Matt

jeremy levine
06-08-2007, 11:14 AM
I think you can work free of guilt , Lac is a substance secreted by insects on tree branches.

Art Mulder
06-08-2007, 12:57 PM
My first project will be a shoe hutch in the entryway (my wife is Chinese so we don't wear our shoes in the house).

Haven't visited many Canadian homes have you? :rolleyes: (Most everyone I know removes their footwear when entering a home.)

Shellac is nice to give a bit of amber colour, but I'd vote for 3 coats of water based poly - ie: Flecto Varathane. Gives good protection, doesn't stink, pretty easy to apply. And you can still put shellac under it, if you like.

Joe Chritz
06-09-2007, 7:34 PM
I have finished several dozen BB drawers with Shellac. It leaves a nice finish and is a good choice.

BB is very nice when the edges are rounded over. I do the drawers like that often. I don't have any pictures but if you would like one I have a kitchen that is sitting in the garage ready for install and I could grab a couple.

Joe