PDA

View Full Version : Padauk Bowl

Scott Coffelt
01-08-2004, 9:16 PM
I whipped this out last night and finished it up tonight. The SWMBO wanted a bowl for a good friend who turns 40 this week. Her husband is sending her back here to KC from Phoenix as a surprise so she can see all of her old friends.

This is my first time turning a bowl out of Padauk. Besides the really fine dust, I really liked how it turned. It's about 8" in diameter and about 2" thick. I finished it with a coat of tung oil and then wax after it dried. The picture makes it look like there is white in the pores but it is really just the light.

Anyways, nothing too special with the likes of the major turners but i keep getting a little better each time.

Scott Coffelt
01-08-2004, 9:18 PM
I used a different program for reducing size and it sure made them look funny. I am going back to my old way next time.

Tom Sweeney
01-08-2004, 9:32 PM
it was beautiful! If you want to nuke those 2 pics - send me an email - I cropped out the bowl & reduced the size to 500px wide & can email them to you if you want. Can't e-mail attachments through SMC's link or I woulda just sent them. email me you address directly if you want them.

Real nice work on the bowls BTW!

Mark Singer
01-08-2004, 9:56 PM
Scott,
great job! It will darken in sunlight...
mark

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Good looking bowl Scott. Padauk is one of my fave's among Exotic Wood. It does turn and finish nice..........and I think it smells good when your turn it........but anything beats Elm! Beautiful work and very nice finish........a real classy look too. Thanks for posting the pic's Scott! :)

Glenn Hodges
01-09-2004, 9:00 AM
I liked the color of the wood, and the rolled edge, and the accent at the bottom. This gives the bowl a spark to make it stand out from the crowd...makes it an eye catcher, good work.

Steve Inniss
01-09-2004, 9:02 AM
Scott, I like the design - classic, beautiful wood. I like your giant photo backboard too. -Steve

Jim Becker
01-09-2004, 9:03 AM
Very attractive turning...a keeper!

Jim Young
01-09-2004, 11:11 PM
Very nice, I like the shape.

Wes Bischel
01-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Scott,

Really nice, I like how crisp the details are - the beads and the "flat" bottom - not easy to do. It's a winner!

Wes