PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Turning Dimensions

Ron Mitchell
06-06-2007, 4:12 PM
I'm new to bowl turning and I only have done two so far. I was wondering where I might find information on basic design dimensions.
someone mentioned that the base should be about 1/3 the size of the rim of the bowl is that a standard? any help would be greatly appreciated

Ken LaSota
06-06-2007, 4:18 PM
Ron as far as set numbers I don't use any but look around your house or any gift store at bowls and vases and make whatever your heart desires. Every project comes out different an is left to your imagination,don't try to copy any one pattern just experiment and have fun.
Ken

Matt Haus
06-06-2007, 4:32 PM
Ron,

There are several books out there that will tell you this. One of them is Woodturning Projects by Mark Barker. I found it at Barns and Nobles.

Mike Vickery
06-06-2007, 4:35 PM
Their is no one standard but several guidlines. I canot post a link to another forum but Russ Fairfield has a very usefull article about bowl proportions that you should be able to find. If not pm me and I will send you a link.

Base size will depend on intended use and preference but 1/3 is a good general guildine to start with.

At one point I made a spreadsheet that listed heigth width and base size by the Golden mean method and the Rule of thirds for my common range of bowls, but I have no idea where it is now. I believe it was helpfull for me at the time but do not use it any more. You should be able to whip one up in excel in a couple minutes.

TYLER WOOD
06-06-2007, 4:40 PM
I think what you are refering to is the golden ratio or mean. It refers to a ratio of the proportions of the object being designed. You can read some here about it, but I'm sure there is better information about it elsewhere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio#Sculpture

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/a-design.htm

enjoy trying this out, but make sure you learn to use your eyes more than numbers. Sometimes even the golden stuff can be off to your eye. Use your judgment and let er fly!!!

Frank Kobilsek
06-06-2007, 4:52 PM
Ron,

Depends on use. Smaller is more artsy but less stable and large is more stable more practical, makes sense right. But yes 1/3 to 1/2 is the rull of thumb.

Someone said look around the house. 5 years ago when in the mall with Nita, I would wait for her in front of the ice cream stand. Now with diabetes and woodturning she ussually looks for me in the china department. I'll be there studying shapes.

Frank

George Van
06-06-2007, 4:58 PM
Hi Ron, a good starter book on design is "Turned-Bowl Design" by Richard Raffan. It covers a lot of different styles and forms.

Mike Vickery
06-06-2007, 5:00 PM

Okay I whipped this up real quick. It lists the height and base size for common sized bowl according to 3 methods.

Curt Fuller
06-06-2007, 9:48 PM
Hey Ron, everyone has given you some great advice. But a good and simple way is to just stand back and eyeball it and when you can say "yup, that looks good" then you've got it.

Chris Barton
06-06-2007, 10:17 PM
To me this is the most difficult thing to learn in turning. It's very difficult to develop an "eye" for form and this tends to be a function of experience.

Ron Mitchell
06-07-2007, 7:06 AM
Thanks Guys all this is very helpful

Denis Monti
06-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Ron. 1/3 is the number I've been told too, and it looks right.

Denis

Dennis Peacock
06-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Excellent info here folks. I've also found out that a lot of those rules get tossed out the window when you are making a bowl or platter that will be "used" instead of just looked at. The end-user looks for a bowl or platter that is stable for use as well as during use. Sooooo, when I make a piece that is destined for Utility use, I make the foot larger to help make it more stable for a customer.....or the LOML. :)

Martin Braun
06-08-2007, 1:30 AM
Mike,

Thanks for putting that together. I'll be printing that out for reference. Usually, I can eyeball pieces, but every once in a while I get something started and I know it's off & I can't figure out why. Doing a quick dimension check would definitely help.