PDA

View Full Version : Old Chisels - What's Good and What's Not?

David Weaver
06-06-2007, 2:46 PM
After getting some skew chisels and new bench chisels in the mail, I'm starting to put together a set of paring chisels, but for giggles, I want to do it with older chisels. Is there a definitive listing of what companies had good steel - say turn of the century?

I know Witherbys and Swans are generally considered to be good, but what about names like P,S&W and Hudson Tool Co, and others that are out there - english or US chisels. The original Bucks and Sorbys, etc, I suppose are considered in the same vein.

I know the 720s and 750s are also considered high quality steel, but I don't want to buy user chisels at collector's prices.

Doug Mason
06-06-2007, 3:38 PM
Do a search in the archives under "chisels" for posts by Bob Smalser--and you'll find some very good info.

Clint Jones
06-06-2007, 4:00 PM
Some of my best chisels are Berg's. I would suggest Stanley 750's that are unmarked, they are the same as 750's they just demand a smaller price. Also the composite handle Stanley Everlasting chisels are good chisels and can be found cheaper than their wooden handle equals.

Rick Young WY
06-07-2007, 12:46 AM
I did the search and there is a wealth of info about chisels. Excellent reference. I love old chisels.....heck I love old any kind of tool.

Thanks for the tip.

Rick

Jeffrey Larsen
06-07-2007, 4:57 PM
I got my berg chisels in the mail yesterday--well used, but all solid and useable after some grinding of nicks and then resharpening of. There are 10 or II and I am out about 100$ for them. I am Quite happy with them. I am sure I will selectively get some premium newer onew for the ones I will use a lot, but will get as I need them. Man are these old tools cool--I also got my turn of the century stanley cast iron miter box and disston saw yesterday--both marked with the sw mark "stanley made by disston..." 19$ for the saw and miter--30+ pounds. Very tight and assurate. However, a lot of elbow grease will be in order! Jeff

Walt Quadrato
06-07-2007, 5:02 PM
PS&W..Peck Stow & Wilcox...excellent chisels as are:

Samson..made by Witherby for Union Hardware Torrington CT
Keen Kutters, yep they do exist..they have a large ridge at the top of the socket..easy to spot
New Haven Edge Tools..real good heavy chisels
Underhill chisels..heavy timber framers usually
R Merrill's
Wm Butcher Sheffield england

that'll start you out, these aren't that rare and can be found..

walt Q

Martin Cash
06-08-2007, 4:00 AM
There are some excellent English and Scottish chisels as well as the American ones that Bob Smallser mentions.
Here are some that are worth looking at:
Robert Sorby
Henry Taylor
Charles Taylor
Ward chisels
Ward and Payne
Woodcock
Older Marples
Mathieson
anything by S J Addis
anything by Preston
Hale Brothers
Groves
Onions and Co

In Australia, any chisels made by Titan are highly regarded and much sought after.
From Sweden the already mentioned Erik Anton Bergs, as well as chisels made by Jernbolaget. Virtually any steel that came out of Eskilstuna is highly regarded as well.
I'm sure that there are others.
Hope this short list helps you out.
Happy hunting
MC:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Richard Niemiec
06-08-2007, 8:33 AM
Hate to gloat, but last weekend I found a set of 7 Anton Berg bench chisels, tang, yellow plastic handle (immediately post war, 46-48) laminated blades, never sharpened (still have decals on the handles), for $10 at a yard sale. I have yet to sharpen and buff them up but my eye tells me they're gonna do just fine. RN