PDA

View Full Version : What to use to glue acrylic to paper

Harry Radaza
06-06-2007, 5:00 AM
will try making acrylic trophies with photo paper or plain paper in between two acrylics. What is the best glue to use for this application ? Please suggest easy to find stuff since I am in asia.

Frank Corker
06-06-2007, 5:14 AM
Harry the stuff I use to join the two acrylics together is Polyweld. It dries almost instantly and doesn't appear to stick to anything other than acrylic, but you have to be careful on the surface if you touch it when it's wet or it will leave a mark. I bought mine on ebay, but anyone who sells plastic for signs etc should be able to supply it. It has the consistency of water. www.fivestardistribution.com (http://www.fivestardistribution.com)

I've never tried attaching photographs so I won't enter into that.

Rodne Gold
06-06-2007, 5:18 AM
you dont need any glue , use small screws or dome nuts on the corners of the acryylic to clamp the 2 sheets and sandwhich the pic between em

Joe Pelonio
06-06-2007, 8:04 AM
I did a couple yesterday. I used the clear 2mil sign vinyl film, cut it just less than the width of the 2 pieces of acrylic and edge-wrapped it. Invisible, and holds, but could be removed in the future.

Martin Boekers
06-07-2007, 12:03 AM
I've worked in the photographic field for many years. For displays with photos mounted to plexiglass, acrylic, or lexan we used an optically clear double side tape that was designed just for this use. You can get it through Seal, Coda or 3M there are a few manufacturers of this. There is a company called Brooke Cutters that has a system that mounts a photo to acrylic or crystal. It uses a water slide decal that you can print on your ink-jet or color laser printer and then seal it with a uv coating. I haven't received their samples yet. They've been pushing me hard to buy a system. You can buy the decal material from many sources it's about $2 an 8.5x11 sheet it's not that hard to work with and you can use it on a variety of substrates from tiles to glass to candles. One thing Brooke Cutters do that I know I'll start buying is custom jigsaw puzzles. They do one ups and you can up load a file to them. They have quite a few size and count options, but the samples I got on that were pretty cool. I'll be at least buying that from them.
Good Luck

Marty