PDA

View Full Version : OK, so what about a saw vise

Brian Hale
06-06-2007, 4:17 AM
Thanks again for the saw set information!

So now i see all kinds of saw vises for fairly cheap from several different manufacturers and i'm looking for some insight on which to get.

Is there a certain manufacturer that makes a good one?

What should i look for when buying one used?

TIA!!
Brian

Andrew Williams
06-06-2007, 9:09 AM
Why not just make one? They are pretty easy to make. It's just a hinged panel with two opposing runners that hold the saw, fits into your bench vise. Or you can go the easier route and just put two pieces of wood on either side of the saw, clamp it into the vise.

Robert Rozaieski
06-06-2007, 9:57 AM
If you can handle the vise before the sale, check that the jaws are parallel and close evenly and tightly across their entire length. Any gap will result in vibration of the saw when filing, which is a bad thing.

I got one that has a slight twist in it somewhere and doesn't fully close on one side. Because of this, it does not hold the saw plate securely on that side and the saw can slide down on that side (pivot actually since the other side holds securely) and vibrates badly. I haven't done so yet but I plan to glue a little leather on the jaws to see if it helps hold tighter and reduce the vibration, but if I could have seen it first, I would have passed (the chance you take with ebay). I tried to heat it and gently twist it back but it won't budge and I'm afraid of snapping the casting should I apply too much pressure. Just something to look out for. If you are planning to buy from ebay, definately ask the question (I did not, therefore it was no ones fault but my own).

Brian Hale
06-06-2007, 7:50 PM
Yes Andrew, i considered making one (and i still might) but they seem to go pretty cheap on ebay so i might take a shot there.

Good advice Robert, Thanks!! I'll ask the seller questions before i bid.

Brian :)

Doug Mason
06-06-2007, 8:06 PM
Brian--I am also a beginner of handsaw sharpening--and am finding it to be relatively easy. With practice I am becoming much better. I made my own saw vice from plywood from Teige Fried's (spelling??) book; it is so simple to make that I am glad I didn't wate my money/time trying to buy one.

Kevin French
06-06-2007, 8:41 PM
Brian Saw Vises are cheap and also throw aways.

Here's my small collection. The only one I've really used is the 103 on the left. http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/sweeper54/SawVises.jpg

Michael Fross
06-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Brian--I am also a beginner of handsaw sharpening--and am finding it to be relatively easy. With practice I am becoming much better. I made my own saw vice from plywood from Teige Fried's (spelling??) book; it is so simple to make that I am glad I didn't wate my money/time trying to buy one.
Hello Doug. I plan on making one myself, but haven't started the research. Mind posting a picture?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

John Goodridge
06-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Here is another thread that discusses this and has some pictures of different homemade saw vises.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40315