PDA

View Full Version : Here it is - come get me!!

Nancy Laird
06-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Came home tonight, finished the inside, decided it didn't look too bad, and finished it with BLO and shellac. It's a modest, unassuming little bowl, about 5-3/4" across and 1-1/4" high, and it sits on a little bitty foot about 1/8" above the surface it's sitting on. It looks like it's floating. It's blotchy, it has some cracks in it, but it's mine, all mine. I turned it and it's MY FIRST BOWL!!!!:D :D

(David made me do it.)

Do I pass muster? I know that the finish could be a LOT better, but this little piece of maple just didn't want to cooperate.

Nancy

Dennis Peacock
06-06-2007, 12:19 AM
AWRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job Nancy!!!! :cool:

That's a GREAT looking bowl....especially being your first...and it really doesn't look like it's your first either!!!

Now....I need to send you a nice piece of Sycamore for you to turn another bowl. :D

Mark Cothren
06-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Way to go, Nancy!!!! You broke the ice - now get busy on #2!!!!

Nancy Laird
06-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Here are some more pictures:

Tomorrow night the bottom gets lasered!!

Nancy

Shane Whitlock
06-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Woohooo ... Thats a great looking first bowl ... you're gonna be hooked now. Look forward to seeing Bowl #2

Hollow forms are next. ;)

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Christopher K. Hartley
06-06-2007, 5:59 AM
Nancy, Great Job!!! You are on your way and this is a great start to a Bowlrific Ride!!:) :) :)

Ron Mitchell
06-06-2007, 6:17 AM
Nancy,

great job on your first bowl, it came out really nice.

Steve Schlumpf
06-06-2007, 7:12 AM
Congrats on jumping in on the bowl turning portion of this sport! Nice looking little bowl! Make sure you display it somewhere with pride so that you can always point to it and say 'It's my first... but this is what I am doing now!!!' Thanks for posting and have fun with your 2nd bowl!

Doug M Jones
06-06-2007, 7:58 AM
Very nice bowl.

My first 3 exploded, I'm impressed.

Great job.

Pete Jordan
06-06-2007, 9:00 AM
Way to go Nancy!

I'm sure you will have the hollowing rig by the weekend.

Dennis Peacock
06-06-2007, 9:06 AM
Way to go Nancy!

You tell her Pete!!!! After all, David, her hubby works for Woodworkers Supply for heavens sake. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Nancy Laird
06-06-2007, 9:23 AM
Way to go Nancy!

We already have one, Pete. It's a Pro Forme and yes, David got it at WWS. He initiated it on this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49191

But I'm still a looooonng way from using it. I need to do more open stuff first and get comfortable.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Nancy

Keith Burns
06-06-2007, 9:26 AM
Great job Nancy !!! I'm proud of you !! I can tell you are going to do great at this stuff:) :)

Paul Engle
06-06-2007, 9:31 AM
Well done Nancy, being maple ..... chocolate candy looks really good in em'. especally the kind with clear wraping. My favorite is the Dove dark choclate with the red foil wrapper, here at work we put all kinds in the ones I make and caramel works great also! Congrats and again " Well Done" .;)

Mark Pruitt
06-06-2007, 9:33 AM
Good going, Nancy! Better hurry up and deplete your bottle stopper supply; when the bowl bug bites there's no lookin' back!:D

Marc Martindale
06-06-2007, 9:36 AM
Very nice Nancy! What method did you use to finish the bottom?

Dave Carey
06-06-2007, 9:50 AM
Looks great to me. I like the gentle curve on the outside wall and especially like the foot. That's where I struggle the most. Chuck up the next one!

Jason Boushard
06-06-2007, 9:59 AM
its alot nicer than my first bowl keep up the good work.

Frank Kobilsek
06-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Good Job Nancy

And that is not a simple unassuming bowl. Everybodys first bowl has steep sides when more of a plate/bowl would be much easier to turn. That and the foot is excellent! 9 out of 10 of us here would never show a picture of our first bowl bottom. Alot of us sawed our first bowl off the tennon and took it to the big belt sander to flatten the bottom. A very proud first effort on your part.

Frank

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Well, Well, Well, Nancy must say I am proud of ya. The bowl is a beauty. You know you did a mighty fine job on it for your first one. I will say your first looks better than my first. Now keep'em coming.

Belinda Barfield
06-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Go Nancy, Go! Let's see, I'm imagining lasered bowls soon becoming a hot item in your neck of the woods. This is great. I'm so excited for you!!

Hope you guys realized you've created a MAWNSTER!:D (Larry, in case you are reading this - it is misspelled on poipose!)

Don Orr
06-06-2007, 10:37 AM
That'll do just fine Nancy. Got the ice broken now, so let's see what else you can come up with.

Jim Stoppleworth
06-06-2007, 11:06 AM
One down infinite number to go! :D Good looking first bowl!

Jim

Joe Tonich
06-06-2007, 11:07 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/jt6089/9.gif

Nancy Laird
06-06-2007, 11:09 AM
First, thank you all for your nice and encouraging comments on this first effort. As you can see, the wood has some cracks/checking in it--they are filled with CA, and this little piece of maple just didn't want to finish out nicely--there are blotches in the finish and some areas that just didn't take the BLO at all and still look very white. But...I have to say that I'm quite proud of it for my first effort--and it didn't blow up!:D

Very nice Nancy! What method did you use to finish the bottom?

Marc, the chunk was screwed to a plate and I rounded it, then I gouged out the inset with my parting tool after determining how big it needed to be for the stronghold chuck. I just turned a groove with the parting tool as deep as I wanted it/needed it to be, then cleaned out the rest of the inset. Then, for the outside of the foot, I again took the parting tool and turned a groove as deep as I wanted it and finished it from there.

Frank, that's high praise! Thank you. I am humbled.

Nancy

Curt Fuller
06-06-2007, 11:58 AM
I turned it and it's MY FIRST BOWL!!!!:D :D

And a very nice bowl it is!

Kim Ford
06-06-2007, 1:51 PM
Great Job Nancy;

Let me know when you are ready and I'll send you a apple wood blank. You're hooked now, there is no going back.

Tom Sherman
06-06-2007, 5:07 PM
A very nice bowl indeed. Way to go Nancy.

Randy Privett
06-06-2007, 5:47 PM
Very nice bowl. It only gets better from here. Keep it up.:D

Randy

Neal Addy
06-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Alright, Nancy! That's a keeper for sure.

So, don't stop now. Let's see another!

Travis Stinson
06-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Alright! That wasn't so bad, was it? :D

Gary Herrmann
06-07-2007, 3:04 AM
Nice job, Nancy. Now wasn't that more fun than turning a pen?

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-07-2007, 4:20 AM
All I can say, Nancy, is that, if I saw that before I did my first bowl, I'd be re thinking it.

It has a nice substantial looking, balanced form. The foot is a nice touch. Finishing is an ongoing learning experience, so hang in there. Yours has a nice sheen.

As far as cracks go------ They happen ---- Sometimes they increase the value of a piece, but, I know that THIS one "Ain't ever goin' to be for sale," it's Your FIRST!

Keep up the good work.

Bruce

Nancy Laird
06-07-2007, 9:57 AM
AWRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now....I need to send you a nice piece of Sycamore for you to turn another bowl. :D

Bring it on, Dennis. I'm game!

Great Job Nancy;

Let me know when you are ready and I'll send you a apple wood blank. You're hooked now, there is no going back.

Same to you Kim. I'll try anything once!

Nancy