PDA

View Full Version : Name this tree

Gregg Feldstone
06-05-2007, 11:20 PM
This tree is washed up in Port Aransas Tx (The Gulf Coast on the Northern tip of Padre Island). I chiseled into the grain to take a peek. Any idea what species this is and what it might be good for? It's about 35 ft tall.

Pat Zabrocki
06-05-2007, 11:52 PM
looks strikingly similar to....... driftwood.:D

can't resist adding a little chuckle here and there. Anyway, it looks interesting.

Gregg Feldstone
06-06-2007, 1:11 AM
Yea, but what KIND of driftwood. I've found mahogany as driftwood, let it dry and turned it into a tabletop which would have cost $$$$. This if FREE WOOD but I have to get it soon.......A little more help please!!

Greg Deakins
06-06-2007, 1:18 AM
hard to say, the bark looks similar to cherry, even the inside does. I have no idea if there is any cherry around there or not though. My guess would be cherry though.

Dave Lindgren
06-06-2007, 1:22 AM
Could be ash looking at the bark. You can't go by color on driftwood. I've seen Myrtle driftwood here on the Oreygun coast that was a lovely shade of pale green after long immersion in salt water. I'd grab it, mill it and try it out!

Dennis Reardon
06-06-2007, 2:26 AM
Based on the second picture, even though it is a little blurry, I would say it is Ash. One of my other hobbies is collecting old Crosman airguns whose stocks from the early fifties to late sixties are all Ash. The grain in that picture bears a strikingly resemblance to many stocks in my collection. I could be wrong of course, for all I know there is another wood out there I am unfamiliar with whose grain structure is also similiar.

BTW if you manage to snag it I would be interested in a small chunk for repair purposes.

Bill Neely
06-06-2007, 3:24 AM
Could be ash looking at the bark. You can't go by color on driftwood. I've seen Myrtle driftwood here on the Oreygun coast that was a lovely shade of pale green after long immersion in salt water. I'd grab it, mill it and try it out!

I thought Myrtle was always green.:D

Larry Fox
06-06-2007, 8:08 AM
A tree expert I am not but the root structure looks a bit strange - it almost loos like it has two systems which makes me think that it perhaps grew in a swamp or someplace similar. Another thought is what would something that spent so much time in salt water do to your tools?

Don Orr
06-06-2007, 9:57 AM
...George:eek: :D . Couldn't resist.

The grain looks a lot like Elm to me. I just finished a bowl of Elm and the grain looks identical. The zig-zag effect comes from interlocked grain, so if it's not elm, maybe another species with interlocked grain.

Bart Leetch
06-06-2007, 10:37 AM
I don't know what to call it so I just call it Joe.:D

Aaron Beaver
06-06-2007, 10:40 AM
This if FREE WOOD but I have to get it soon.......A little more help please!!

I would say get it no matter what kind it was, you could figure that out later. If its of no use later theres other things that could be done with it.

Paul Chinetti
06-06-2007, 10:52 AM
http://www.logsplitters.com/Wood.html

Looks like an Elm to me too. Go for it, hard to beat free wood!

I agree with Larry Fox also, it does look like it grew and then got buried/submerged and grew another root structure.

John Shuk
06-06-2007, 4:31 PM
Looks like elm to me too. You get that kind of herringbone pattern with elm you can see to the right in the second picture.

Richard M. Wolfe
06-06-2007, 5:39 PM
The wood with the interlocking grain looks like elm. The shape of the tree looks a lot like the cedar elm we have here and is prevalent in Texas. The double root system could have come from the tree growing in a river flood plain (cedar elm is found a lot near water) and as soil was deposited forced the tree to grow a secondary system. With the heavy rains we have had it probably washed down a river. If it is cedar elm its probably not worth salvage and whoever you get to cut it will love the sand that's sure to be embedded in it.

Scott Banbury
06-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Another vote for Elm