PDA

View Full Version : Best Mini Lathe

Andy A Turner
06-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Which lathe would you all recommend if I mainly turn game calls, pens and other small items? I've been looking between the Jet Mini, Jet 1220, Rikon 70-100 Midi, and Shop Fox mini (https://toolsandmore.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1408). I currenlty only have room to mount it to my workbench in a small two car garage that always has 2 cars parked in it. I've been turning game calls and pens on my drill press and looking to upgrade so I can create more designs on the calls.

Nancy Laird
06-05-2007, 11:04 PM
WoodTek!! Why is it that everyone always discounts this little lathe? It's a workhorse, and I love mine.

Nancy

Gordon Seto
06-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Definitely no on the Shop Fox. The tailstock quill is inferior.
Rikon has some quality control problem. Woodcraft is good in service; but the long term service is unknown. Jet has the best resale value and that speaks for something. Chances are Jet will remain in business more than some.

Woodfast was not a bad lathe; but it went out of business.

Gordon

Dario Octaviano
06-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I have a Jet mini VS...can't say enough good thing about it. Highly recommended.

No comment on the rest since I don't have any experience on any of them.

Patrick Taylor
06-05-2007, 11:37 PM
I have a Jet mini VS...can't say enough good thing about it. Highly recommended.

Ditto. Only problem is don't tighten the tailstock too much or you'll strip the threads. There are easy fixes described here on SMC if you search.

Jonathon Spafford
06-06-2007, 12:01 AM

I also love the Jet mini... this one is a real awesome lathe... very stout and will take anything you can throw at it! I love mine... only thing is don't get variable speed. Save the $100 and spend it on some tools... only takes 10 seconds to change a belt and it isn't that important to be fast when you are beginning.

Patrick Taylor
06-06-2007, 12:36 AM
... only thing is don't get variable speed. Save the $100 and spend it on some tools... only takes 10 seconds to change a belt and it isn't that important to be fast when you are beginning.

Also you lose torque when you lower the speed with the VS.

Jason Boushard
06-06-2007, 4:19 AM
I have the rikon nicest way I can put it is get a JET. I am going to get a jet soon then I am going to take my rikon to the range and shoot it with my 50 cal.

Gordon Seto
06-06-2007, 5:42 AM
only thing is don't get variable speed. Save the $100 and spend it on some tools... only takes 10 seconds to change a belt and it isn't that important to be fast when you are beginning.

Unless your main interest is off-center turning.

Or use the $100 to get the 1220 with extra swing, length and HP.

Gordon

Dario Octaviano
06-06-2007, 6:41 AM
I also love the Jet mini... this one is a real awesome lathe... very stout and will take anything you can throw at it! I love mine... only thing is don't get variable speed. Save the $100 and spend it on some tools... only takes 10 seconds to change a belt and it isn't that important to be fast when you are beginning.

I did a VS vs non-VS survey at another forum...out of 173 unique respondents here is the verdict.

Note that survey is conducted on a penturning forum so torque probably didn't have much importance to the respondents.
==============================================

Here is a survey to see buyers who had remorse buying their lathe...or not!!

Note that cost consideration (as in real life) must be factored in your decision.http://www.penturners.org/forum/images/icon_smile_wink.gif

1. Bought a VS will buy it again...............................56% (97 votes)
2. Bought a VS wish I bought the non-VS instead.......1% (1 vote)
3. Bought a non-VS will buy it again.........................14% (24 votes)
4. Bought a non-VS wish I bought the VS instead.......20% (34 votes)
5. Both 1 and 4................................................. ...8% (14 votes)
6. Both 2 and 3................................................. ...2% (3 votes)

In short,
83.82% (145/173) favored VS (choices 1, 4, and 5)and
16.18% (28/173) favored non-VS (choices 2, 3 and 6)

Take it for what it is worth.

paul ashman
06-06-2007, 7:46 AM
I bought the Jet 1220, does not have VS, but does have a bigger motor, more swing, and 20" between centers for the same price as the smaller VS.
I love it!

Benjamin Dahl
06-06-2007, 8:28 AM
I have the rikon and have no complaints. changing the belt is pretty simple. have not turned on the jet but people seem happy with those as well.

Gordon Seto
06-06-2007, 8:31 AM
Dario,

It will be interesting if there is the third choice, 1220 in the survey.

If the 1220 is as good as the mini, then the extra capacity and HP would make it a tough choice.

Gordon

Jason Boushard
06-06-2007, 9:46 AM
Ben what kind of turning are you doing? my rikon is ok for pens but other than that it stinks. I hope you continue to be happy with yours I have thier radial arm drill press and I love it just dont like thier lathe.

Dale Bright
06-06-2007, 9:50 AM
I have the Rikon mini and it has performed flawlessly. I did replace the belt but Rikon sent me a free one that I got in 2 days.

Jason Boushard
06-06-2007, 9:57 AM
how much are you guys using yours though I was running mine 5-6 hours a day during the week and 8-9 hours on the weekends. Mine is one of the first models to maybe they have improved since then.

Gordon Seto
06-06-2007, 10:14 AM
From another Forum:
Russ Fairfield reported that he has 5 Jet minis and 5 Rikon in his teaching studio. All 5 Rikron were falling apart while the 5 Jet were holding up. Granted, all equipment are subject to rougher handling and abuse in a teaching environment than. The stress test accelerates the problems that may or may not happen to owner/user down the road.

I have a Jet mini VS. It is so quiet and steady that I can stand a nickel on edge on the headstock while the lathe was running.

Dario, do a survey on 2nd lathe. I will bet almost half would be a Jet mini.

Gordon

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2007, 10:35 AM
I have the Rikon Midi. I run it hard several hours a week. I turn some big 11" bowls and big HF's on it. It has taken everything I have thrown at it with no complaints.

Benjamin Dahl
06-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Jason, I have turned pens and bowls and have not had problems. I have run it for extended periods but not every day like you. Could be that their were production issues that have been solved. I took a class at a place where they use Rikons and the instructor was very upbeat about them. the place sells both jet and rikon. If I were to purchase another mini/midi lathe I would either go with rikon again or the jet 1220 as I think the extra swing is more valuable than the vs on this size lathe. on a larger lathe I would pay extra to get the vs. Dario does make some good points and I have not turned on the jet vs so I don't know what I am missing. in any case, I don't think one could go wrong with a jet or rikon.
Ben

Steven Wilson
06-06-2007, 11:18 AM
The Jet Mini is a great lathe the only other mini I would consider would be the Vickmark 100.

Jason Boushard
06-06-2007, 11:37 AM
well I am glad you guys are happy with them maybe I need to improve my base. my base is an old buffet sans mirror that I have filled with various things to give it some weight. maybe I will build a new base this weekend and fill the bottom with some concrete or sand

Kurt Whitley
06-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Which lathe would you all recommend if I mainly turn game calls, pens and other small items?

I usually encourage people to go with the 12" Jet or Rikon. However if you do not plan to move to larger work, the JET VS mini is IMHO the best machine for you. Torque issues will not be noticed on these smaller diameter projects, and while it is not neccesary the variable speed is handy if you're willing to spend the bucks for it.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Kurt

PS - I can also chime in as a happy Rikon owner. The guys at our local Woodcraft said the first shipment they received had quality issues, but the others have been good (I bought mine April of 2006). When I moved from 10" to 12" swing lathes and started turning larger projects, I had to strengthen my stand to handle the extra loads.

Jason Boushard
06-06-2007, 1:03 PM
any recomendations on how to build up a stand that will take the vibrations?

Kim Ford
06-06-2007, 2:14 PM
Andy;

I really only turn bowls with some between center work, so take that into account. I now have a VS machine and did own non VS machines in the past. My son in law has a very fine non VS machine in the same shop as mine and hands down we both turn on the VS machine regardless of the project if it is available.

Now, may not be the time to invest the additional $100 but if you get dragged into the vortex like the rest of us you will probably want to upgrade to VS at some point.

Either way have fun.

Dale Stagg
06-06-2007, 6:42 PM
Not very good at giving reviews, but for a short look at machine, this is what I found comparing it with my old Delta Midi lathe. It came pretty much all together and ony had to make a few adjustments to get the tool rest support to slide easily and the tail stock to slide smoothly. All went pretty easily with no problems. After looking at the details, have a few things that are not major but could be better. The handles on the tool rest seem more solid so far than my old Delta Midi lathe. The tailstock adjustment wheel is not as easily to use as the Delta as the delta has a larger handle crank that spins and the Jet has a solid shaft handle that you have to turn loosely with hand to turn easily and is quite short compared to longer handle on the Delta. Not a problem, but I think I am going to rob the Delta spinner and swap them out. The belt changes are much mroe difficult than the Delta as the top belt door is in the back side of lathe and Delta was in front. The Jet, side door for belt has a bad design for opening the door. You have to pull the handle out and pull up to let door open vs, the old Delta, you just open the door and had a latch to keep closed. Not a very good design, and can see why others like the variable speed for the Jet lathes as belt speed change is a breeze on the Delta and not near as easy on the Jet. I had to tighten the belt by adjusting the motor which is easy to do, however, the adjustment is lower than it is designed to go, but the grooves that are used for adjustments is past the grooves and barely on the adjustmetn knob to tighten. Works but not great. The center from tailstock to headstock was pretty much dead on center as shown. The tool rests (came with 2) are ok, however, I like the heavier one that I bought separate as the Delta Midi had a small tool rest only and use the larger most of the time. My Delta has a hole in it to put the knob and shaft tool that is used to remove the head stock tapers and the Jet don't. Not a big deal, but did like it and think I will drill a hole in the Jet to have same feature. The 3/4 horsepower is larger than the Delta and should be an improvement. It is a 12" compared to the Delta 10" and think this is a definate improvement. The Jet built in light looks like it will be handy as have several portables now and this will eliminate one of the clamp type lights currently been using.
Overall, looks like a fairly good machine, but like some of the features of the Delta and some others of the Jet. Will try to incorporate the best features onto this new Jet if everything fits. Until I can afford to upgrade to the 16" Jet lathe, this one should get a pretty good workout.
Attached Imageshttp://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111537&stc=1 http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111538&stc=1

I went and did drill the hole for putting the tool to remove the head morse taper tools. Haven't found an extension made for it yet, but is supposed to be comming out soon.

Jerry Ingraham
06-06-2007, 7:09 PM
My Rikon has been great although I did have to deal with the loose index ring. 15 min's and no problems since. I have turned many bowls and now am turning several pens a night and it performs perfect. Other than my 12" Grizzly, I haven't used anything else, so I don't have any other point of reference.
Jerry

George Heatherly
06-06-2007, 9:48 PM
I'll throw this out just to stir the pot a little. I have a new Steel City VS mini. It is a nice lathe and I like it. I think it is priced too high.

I bought it because I was going into pen turning withdrawal when my Delta midi melted its starting capacitor. I couldn't find a Jet VS mini in my local area so I bought the Steel City. I'm retired, but I worked part time last winter to feed my addiction. One thing I specifically wanted was a VS lathe.

It's has now been two weeks and I still haven't gotten the part to repair the Delta. If it ever comes the midi will be a dedicated buffing station.

Kurt Whitley
06-06-2007, 10:09 PM
any recomendations on how to build up a stand that will take the vibrations?

My stand was essentially a box I had made for shop storage and to work as an out-feed table for my turning storage table (aka table saw). I got dimensions and bought the largest, sturdiest metal shelf brackets which could fit and installed them to add rigidity between the bass, walls, and top.
I also got some pre-drilled (unistrut style) angle which I used to stiffen the 3/4" ply top. Naturally, the lathe was bolted down.
After this, the case was very rigid, but the stand still wobbled - Since it was on casters and my floor is not level, I placed 4X4's front to back under the stand (beside the casters) and tapped door shims (wedges) to take the load off of the casters. By tapping them all with about the same force, I believe all four corners see equal loading.

While I was at it, I mounted a power strip (for lights, sanding drill, etc) on the side and installed a remote on/off switch on the tail stock end (now I can turn off the lathe without going through the danger zone, regardless of where I stand).

Last, I put a half dozen 3/4" and 1" holes on the headstock end of the lathe in the top of the table to hold the tools and centers for the project I am working on.

At 24" front to back and with ~100 pounds of plywood, I haven't needed to add sand.

This definitely was a major improvement, my only regret is that I waited until I had a heavy off-balance project before recognizing that my stand wasn't what it should be.

Cheers,
Kurt

Chris Barton
06-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Andy,

Is that your real name? Just thinking about TOS here at SMC but, regarding your question: my vote would go to the new General Maxi VS lathe...

Gary Breckenridge
06-07-2007, 12:13 AM
;) I'm happy with my Delta Midi lathe.:cool:

Fred Floyd
06-07-2007, 3:44 AM
I have a Jet 1642 for big things. For a small lathe I have the Jet 1014VS. For small things it is really nice -- and portable.

The Seattle Woodturners recommended that one. When we have a sawdust session, there are 7 or 8 lathes there. The big thing the experts at the club recommend is to add a reversing switch. This is a $5.00 fix with parts from Radio Shack.

So I now have a VS REVERSIBLE small portable lathe. I got it as a closeout from Rockler including a Nova Chuck for $299 (plus the $5 for the reversing switch.

Now, I have one heck of a small lathe that I can take with me.