PDA

View Full Version : Small Figured Maple Bowl

Ron Mitchell
06-05-2007, 7:41 PM
This is my second bowl, but my first one from a turning block. My first one was a segmented dovetail bowl
it has a 5 1/2" diameter and it is 2 1/4" tall. Please critique
I value all your input.

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/remnantswoodshop/FiguredMapleBowl005.jpg

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/remnantswoodshop/FiguredMapleBowl004.jpg

Gary Herrmann
06-05-2007, 8:20 PM
I like it. Granted, I'm a curly/quilted maple addict...

Nancy Laird
06-05-2007, 8:21 PM
Ron, that bowl is just beautiful---love that wood!!!

Nancy

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-05-2007, 9:26 PM
NOTHING to Critique!

Simply BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
06-05-2007, 9:32 PM
Ron it is a beauty. Lot going on with that wood and its curl. Nice job.

Steve Schlumpf
06-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Beautiful bowl Ron! Love the figure and the finish! Nice work!

Patrick Taylor
06-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Love the figure in the wood. Your finish brings it out nicely.

As for form, I prefer a more gentle continuous curve from side to a narrower base, rather than a hard turn into a wide base. This can also cause problems for you on the inside where you have to make a sharp turn that often causes tool marks and end-grain tearout. (I think I see a stripe of toolmarks on the inside vertical face near the bottom, or it might be glare...) The best lesson I learned from my mentor was how to deal with the inevitable end-grain tearout (careful sanding).

Again, great use of the figure in the blank, and I really like the subtle rim angle. This bowl is executed well. Keep sharing your work!

Jonathon Spafford
06-06-2007, 1:28 PM
WOW... the curl on that is just gorgeous! A little spalting in there too, it looks like! Beautiful piece... you did a great job! What is the finish?

Ron Mitchell
06-06-2007, 4:02 PM
Johathon,

I finished it with tongue oil and myland's friction polish

Frank Kobilsek
06-06-2007, 4:04 PM
Ron,

Good work on a great piece of wood. All that curl can be a tear out nightmare so extra points to you.

Like Nancy's first bowl the steep sides are a challenge. We more expereinced turners (3 bowls and up) need to try to convince 1st time bowl turners to slope them sides abot 45 degrees. So much easier to turn and sand. Everybody does it the hard way when they first start. Why?

Keep it up Ron. You're 90% abysserated.

Frank

Ken LaSota
06-06-2007, 4:23 PM
Ron very nice looking bowl , my only suggestion would be like the others to slope the sides towards the bottom. Keep it up you will be hooked like the rest of us.
Ken

Keith Burns
06-06-2007, 4:48 PM
Nice looking second bowl Ron !! Great piece of wood. I agree that what others have said but I also think the form on this one is good !!

Joseph Peacock
06-13-2007, 10:43 AM
That looks like it has tiger strips.But very beautiful.:cool: