PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about Stanley 180 Rabbit planes

Dominic Greco
06-05-2007, 6:56 PM
Hi everyone,

A couple years back I acquired a #180 Stanley Rabbit Plane. I never really used it and stored it away in my tool cupboard. Recently when I was cleaning up that area, I came across it again. Curiosity got the best of me so I pulled it out to examine. The sole is in great shape and I have (2) irons for it. The body features the words "No. 180 STANLEY" cast into it. And right underneath it are the words, "PAT'D 6-7-10".

I went to Patrick's Blood and Gore and read some there. I also looked in "Antique and Collectible Stanley Tools" and "The Handplane Book" and got some more information. However, they describe an "adjustable depth stop", which this plane is missing. I'm curious what it looks like and how hard they are to find.

My main goal is to see if this plane is "sell-able" in the condition it is now. Or if I need to find the depth stop. In which case I may just keep it (depending on the amount of effort it takes to procure said depth stop).

Thanks in advance.

Clint Jones
06-06-2007, 1:09 AM
Dominic,
The 180 is about the same as a 78 just a lesser quality version with no fence or bulnose bed. The depth stop is the same as a Stanley No.78 and can be purchased in a kit from stanley http://www.stanleytools.com/xhtml/literature/RepairPartsCatalog0304.pdf
Hopfully you will talk to Lori. The kit comes with a lever cap for the plane, depth stop, screw, and a few other parts. The cost is $10 plus shipping. Good luck trying to sell the plane they usually dont bring much because of their inferior design to the No.78-clint

Walt Quadrato
06-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Dom,
the newer screw might not fit your casting...the depth stop will be the same but the screws they provide now have a different thread

walt Q

Dominic Greco
06-06-2007, 12:52 PM
..the newer screw might not fit your casting...the depth stop will be the same but the screws they provide now have a different thread

Thanks for the heads up Walt. I'm going to order the parts as soon as I get a chance. When they come in we'll see. I'll either re-tap the hole (!), or just find a screw that fits.