PDA

View Full Version : HP Laminate over existing HP laminate

Peter M. Spirito
06-05-2007, 6:54 PM
I want to relaminate the kitchen counter top. The counter top plywood is sound and the existing HPL is securely attacheld. Can I just go right over the existing? Do I need to scuff it up a lot with say 60 grit? Is there a special adhesive I should use? Thanks.

Joe Chritz
06-05-2007, 7:37 PM
I have done it quite a while ago. I don't recall where I got the advice but I was told to clean it well, degrease it and then rough it up before installing new. I haven't had a chance to try it again since.

I used a degreaser for automotive finishing because I had some on hand but I assume Naptha or mineral spirits would work fine.

The fairly small area I did came out fine and was adhered solidly.

Joe

Tommy Emmons
06-05-2007, 8:18 PM
The melamine impregnated top will be very hard to get the glue to stick. You need to not just skuff it, but sand it hard so that you are through the top layer of melamine. Once you get to the paper below, it should adhere just fine.

Jim McCarty
06-05-2007, 10:12 PM
The melamine impregnated top will be very hard to get the glue to stick. You need to not just skuff it, but sand it hard so that you are through the top layer of melamine. Once you get to the paper below, it should adhere just fine.
Tommy is right on. The problem is that contact cement works best if it can soak into the substrate. Hpl doesn't allow for that, but roughing up with the roughest belt you can find should work OK for you. Good Luck.:)

Ryan Myers
06-07-2007, 2:05 PM
I just installed about 200 sq ft of HPL over HPL. I roughed it up with a ROS sander. No failures so far. Even after sanding it though it doesn't look very rough. You must use a pressure roller for good adhesion.