PDA

View Full Version : G10 fiberglass board

Tom Majewski
06-05-2007, 6:53 PM
Anyone have success cutting 1/16" G10 fiberglass epoxy sheet? (non copper clad circuit board material)

I have a potential job, but I've never tried it before. I have a suspision from my electronic tech background that it's going to burn.

Tom

Richard Rumancik
06-06-2007, 2:29 PM
You are correct, it will burn on the edges. It cuts by thermal degradation and you will get carbon build-up on the edges that needs removal. If you cut it without masking, you may find that wiping the carbon smears it into the surface and it may permanently discolor the material.

But you will have to wipe the edges somehow, or anyone how handles the part will get black deposits on their hands. For simple rectangular parts I have used sandpaper (a couple strokes on each edge). I have never tried it but it's possible that the combination of paper masking and light sandblasting of the edges with a microblaster would remove the char.

You will have to test the material to determine speed. The glass takes a lot of energy to get through. I think I was cutting .032" material but don't have it here to check.

Dave Jones
06-06-2007, 5:45 PM
I did some tests with G10 and FR-4. Big mess. Lots of char at the edges. I was trying to cut fairly small pieces (about 1/4" x 1/2") out of a sheet and the amount of flame and char made me look in other directions.

Fish paper on the other hand cuts like, well... paper. :)