PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 14" Band Saw

Dennis Kelly
06-05-2007, 6:02 PM
Does anyone own or know anything about the craftsman 14" bandsaw. I read recently that it recieved an editor's best value pick from wood magazine. I'm interested to know in its effectiveness in resawing. Also, how strong does the motor appear?

My other choice is for the Rikon 14" with the 13" resaw capacity...but if I could save some money with the craftsman I might as well.

Dennis

scott spencer
06-05-2007, 6:12 PM
Dennis - I can't comment on the motor or cutting performance of that machine, but I know that the Craftsman is made by Richen Enterprises, who also owns Rikon. The two saws aren't identical but do share some parts and design elements.

Andy Fox
06-05-2007, 6:14 PM
I had one last year and returned it because the guide and thrust bearings were junk, and I didn't want to deal with replacing them on a new saw. Plus, I decided I wanted a saw with guide blocks instead of bearings. Other than that, it seemed like a decent saw for the money.

I resawed some 5-6" cherry with the stock blade (1/4" 6 tpi or similar, bad choice for resawing) and fence with decent results. No real problem with the motor at all even when I tried to bog it down.

Brian Clevenger
06-05-2007, 6:20 PM
Dennis,

I've had my 22401 for over a year, and think it is one of the best "new" tools that I've used or been around. I compared it very closely to the standard C-frame offerings from JET, Delta, and Shop Fox/Grizzly. For my money, it offered better features and better build quality at a lower price. The only maintenance I've had to do for the saw is that I replaced the original bearing guides with some ABEC 9 bearings (total cost about $12) that made a lot of difference.

I've been able to resaw curly maple up to 6" (size of my jointer) without ever having a problem. I use a 1/2" 3tpi timberwolf blade.

Watch out for the Craftsman club sales. I got mine for $320 before tax last summer.

I have since become an junkie for Ol' Arn. After finding a great Delta/Milwaukee 14" saw, I thought it might be the end of the line for the Craftsman. However, such is not the case. The 22401 is just too good a saw for me to let it go. The Delta will have to be resigned to curve work, and the big blade will stay on the Craftsman most of the time.

Dennis Kelly
06-05-2007, 8:26 PM
Every review I've read agrees with you guys...the guide bearings need to be upgraded. How about dust collection on this saw. I know band saws don't tend to have the best dc to begin with, but how does this saw fair?

Dennis

Jeff Miller
06-05-2007, 9:07 PM
Every review I've read agrees with you guys...the guide bearings need to be upgraded. How about dust collection on this saw. I know band saws don't tend to have the best dc to begin with, but how does this saw fair?

Dennis

Dust collection is good.

This is how I hooked mine up:D

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/woodfarmer/shop/shop022.jpg

JEFF;)

Michael W. Jackson
06-05-2007, 9:41 PM
I see I can get them online but I know nothing about skate bearings. Any trick to mounting them? Thanks.

By the way I like the band saw but the fence is really cheesey!

Michael

Brian Clevenger
06-05-2007, 11:39 PM
It is a simple fix to change the bearings. They universal in the "skating" world. I would suggest that ABEC 5 or ABEC 7 would suffice( the number is the speed rating). They are generally a few dollars cheaper, and more than adequate to do the job. Just make sure to get the sealed bearings.

As for the change, use the allen wrench to remove the mounting bolt. Keep the bolt, washer and sleeve and replace with the new bearing one at a time. You need six. It took me a little over ten minutes, but I was also taking the time to adjust all the guides as well.

Brad Townsend
06-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Dust collection is good.

This is how I hooked mine up:D

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/woodfarmer/shop/shop022.jpg

JEFF;)
Hey Jeff,

I thought it was worth pointing out that you moved the light to the infeed side of the saw where it will actually do you some good. One of the first things I did with mine too.

Brad

Jeff Miller
06-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Hey Jeff,

I thought it was worth pointing out that you moved the light to the infeed side of the saw where it will actually do you some good. One of the first things I did with mine too.

Brad

Yeah somebody was sleeping at the drawing board when they put the lite in:confused:

JEFF;)

Ed Blough
06-06-2007, 1:25 PM
Does anyone own or know anything about the craftsman 14" bandsaw. I read recently that it recieved an editor's best value pick from wood magazine. I'm interested to know in its effectiveness in resawing. Also, how strong does the motor appear?

My other choice is for the Rikon 14" with the 13" resaw capacity...but if I could save some money with the craftsman I might as well.

Dennis

The only thing I know is from playing with the saw in Sears stores (while waiting for my wife to shop the mall).
With every bandsaw in four different stores the knob that rises the blade guard/hold down if was either stripped or failed to make contact and the last few inches of the guard/hold down was usually free falling.

I have tried to see how the knob guard meet but without tearing into the machine something the Sears people seem to frown on I can't see the problem. I know the blade guard is when extended down to accomodate a board 4/4 board moves exessively front to back. If you lock the guard it becomes more rigid but I have found you can lock in a rearward position as well as a vertical as well as a forward position.

There is something wrong there. I have inspected Rikon saws and they don't have the raise up and down knob but they also don't have the guards that move front to back either.

Before I bought one I would more better understand the guard/holddown situation. After all this can really effect how vertical your blade is and how rigidly it is held in place.

Ralph Lindberg
06-06-2007, 4:40 PM
Some thoughts...
It's only a 1 HP (assuming it is a 1 HP, Craftsman has been famous for "over rating' their motors)
The Rikon is 1.5 HP
The rip fence looks dodgy
The blade is an "odd" size, you will have to buy from Sears or order custom blades (not that much more expensive, but does adds lead time)
The Grizzly 0555X is 1.5 HP and doesn't cost that much more,
The Grizzly 0555X uses standard sizes (93-1/2 or 105)
The Grizzly 0555X has a quick-release blade tension
With the lift the 0555X goes to 12inch resawI just sold my standard (import) 14 inch 1HP band saw, cause it was so underpowered. I have looked long and hard at other band-saws. I think the 0555X beats the Craftsman hands down.

That being said, I don't think I am going to buy one, the 0513 17 inch or the 0457 14 inch both have 2 HP motors, and I think one of those is what I will be getting....

Chuck Saunders
06-07-2007, 8:48 AM
I have tried to see how the knob guard meet but without tearing into the machine something the Sears people seem to frown on I can't see the problem.

What better place, After all they have all of the tools to take it apart.

Ed Blough
06-07-2007, 10:11 AM
What better place, After all they have all of the tools to take it apart.

Chuck
Your right but every time I roll up my sleeves and get a few wrenches on the table some pimply faced young guy comes over and starts looking over my shoulder saying can I help you. I don't know about you but I can't work that way. :D

I will say I bet I have fixed more incorrectly assembled demo units than an one Sears store has ever put together correctly. And most of the time the salesman goes OH! that is how it is suppose to go, we knew it was wrong but nobody here could figure out how it went.

And they want to sell me a machine??????????