PDA

View Full Version : Chain and bar for Chainsaw

Joe Pelonio
06-05-2007, 2:36 PM
My little McCulloch chain saw needed help, the chain was beyond another sharpening and the bar worn, so I ordered a replacement Disston set. Last time I used Oregon, and it didn't last as long as the original.

The supplier was out of stock and substituted GB, Griffiths & Beerens, claiming it was better and more expensive. I never heard of it so thought maybe some of you could tell me if that's true?

Al Lupone
06-05-2007, 9:29 PM
GB bars have a good reputation. Most of the Oregon chain is a little soft. If you do your own sharpening, that can be a good thing. If you want sharp longevity, see if you can get some Stihl chain to fit your saw & bar.
Al

Jim Becker
06-05-2007, 10:07 PM
I buy that kind of stuff from Bailey's and they have been quite helpful. I suspect they can help you out with appropriate bars and chain for your saw.

Joe Pelonio
06-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks, since they sent me the GB I'll go ahead and give it a try this weekend.

Greg Narozniak
06-06-2007, 9:22 AM
I have used GB in the past and they are excellent bars. When I replace the bar on my 026, which it is due for, I will probably go with a GB.

Jim is correct that Bailey's know what they sell and are excellent to deal with if you are unsure what you need.

Good luck with your purchase.

Jake Helmboldt
06-06-2007, 9:41 PM
Some GB stuff is pretty lame. I have one of their mid-priced solid bars and I was totally unimpressed; rails were wavy, machining filiings in the nose sprocket (kept it from turning freely), undersized profile (height) compared to stock. Oh, and their customer service was pretty lame.

Their high-end pro bars are supposed to be really nice, but after this one time I won't go out of my way to get a GB. I'm currently using a solid Oregon that has been good other than the paint flaking off easily. But that isn't a big deal.