PDA

View Full Version : DIY"S Woodworks show on turning

Bill Wyko
06-05-2007, 12:54 PM
The DIY show woodworks just had an episode on turning. It was nice to see woodturning get a little attention. I was supprised to see that he had a new ONEWAY lathe and he chose to use an old lathe instead. The oneway didn't even have a spec of dust on it. I don't know about anyone else but if I had that in my shop it'd have a pile of shavings under it at all times.:D

Patrick Taylor
06-05-2007, 1:25 PM
There are two other shows dedicated to turning. One of them is with Tim Yoder on the public television "Create" channel. The other was on DIY I think. Rerns used to be on a lot, but not as much anymore.

Daniel Heine
06-05-2007, 1:26 PM
I saw the show also. I thought it was pretty interesting. I also saw the new Oneway, but he turned the whole project on that old Oliver lathe. Those Oliver lathes must be pretty high quality tools. I could barely hear the lathe running. Didn't look like it had an on/off switch either, he just turned the handle on the reeves drive.

I wish they would have more shows like that. I'm sick of This Old House, scrapbooking, etc. Sometimes their Trade School shows are pretty good also. I have a friend, Chris Howard, who filmed a show for DIY. I can't wait to see it. I have no idea yet when it might be on, I'm thinking next fall, maybe. If you would like to see some of Chris' work, please go to his web site:
http://www.gatlinburgartist.com/

Chris is partially Native American, Choctaw tribe, and does some really amazing carving.

Thanks,
Dan Heine

Mark Pruitt
06-05-2007, 1:45 PM
The DIY show woodworks just had an episode on turning. It was nice to see woodturning get a little attention. I was supprised to see that he had a new ONEWAY lathe and he chose to use an old lathe instead. The oneway didn't even have a spec of dust on it. I don't know about anyone else but if I had that in my shop it'd have a pile of shavings under it at all times.:D
One thing's for certain....if it had a pile of shavings all over it, at least it would come closer to being the right color.:D :D :D

Peter Dougenik
06-05-2007, 3:37 PM
Dave Marks did 3 WoodWorks episodes on turning...he used the old Oliver for the first one where he made a basic bowl and then used his Oneway for the other two - a shallow figured bowl with an ebony rim and a spalted maple hollow form. all great episodes, as are the other 90 episodes of the series if you're into flatwork as well ;)

Patrick Taylor
06-05-2007, 4:08 PM
Dave Marks did 3 WoodWorks episodes on turning...he used the old Oliver for the first one where he made a basic bowl and then used his Oneway for the other two - a shallow figured bowl with an ebony rim and a spalted maple hollow form. all great episodes, as are the other 90 episodes of the series if you're into flatwork as well ;)

What drives me crazy about that show is the number of tools required to do every project he does. It's as if you need a $50k workshop to make anything... My wife suggested a drinking game where you swig every time he goes to the jointer. :eek: Then she started a game where she punched me in the shoulder (punchbuggy-style) whenever he went to the planer. I had to turn it off.

Paul Engle
06-05-2007, 4:24 PM
A wood working show sponsored by tool manufactures is gonna have every tool available on that show ( Norm and company ) and someone to use every single tool ( Dave and company ) every chance they get. I like the router workshop as usually the only tool one see's used is the router, not some dream shop most of us gush over. Those fortunate enuf to have most of the tools ( not the want tools but the need tools) you see are trying to make a living and like me I didn't have a lot of time for " hobby" stuff ,plus I have a good full time job to go to ..... cept now I have a jet and flat work has left the building .... somewhat, mostly.... and some of these machines have not been turned on in 6 months .... somewhat .... mostly :D and if I never get another flat work commision again I will not loose any sleep ... maybe just some $'s. Cause I sure like turning ..... mostly.:eek:

Peter Dougenik
06-05-2007, 4:55 PM
One of the really cool thing about WoodWorks is that every tool in his shop is a tool that he bought and paid for with his own money, most of them he bought used. He now has some newer stuff, MiniMax and Festool, but the stuff he's using on the show is mostly cool old stuff he got used.

it's easy to get intimdated watching the show and thinking you need $50k in tools to do any of his projects but that's not the case. I have built a couple of pieces based on his shows and done so with lesser tools, just takes a little longer is all....

Bill Wyko
06-05-2007, 5:53 PM
He does make some elegant stuff. I'd like to see his other turning shows too. Especially if he does a hollow form. Like I said though, if that Oneway is in the way....I"ll make room.:D You ever notice the beautiful collection of lumber in the background. A segmenters heaven.

John Shuk
06-05-2007, 8:33 PM
I'm pretty sure David Marks teaches woodturning at Marc Adams School. He is apparantly a very accomplished turner....unlike our beloved Norm.

Pat Salter
06-08-2007, 10:28 AM
You ever notice the beautiful collection of lumber in the background. A segmenters heaven.

keep watching, there is an episode where he shows his wood storage barn! it's not huge, but I still cried.........

Pat Salter
06-08-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm pretty sure David Marks teaches woodturning at Marc Adams School. He is apparantly a very accomplished turner....unlike our beloved Norm.

I understand he has another guy that teaches the woodturning for him. I believe his name is Mike Jackofsky from the san diego area. yeah, check:
http://www.mikejackofsky.com/Mike%27sSchedule.html

John Shuk
06-08-2007, 1:46 PM
I understand he has another guy that teaches the woodturning for him. I believe his name is Mike Jackofsky from the san diego area. yeah, check:

I have to admit...I thought you were pulling my leg for a minute there!;)

Peter Dougenik
06-08-2007, 2:10 PM
keep watching, there is an episode where he shows his wood storage barn! it's not huge, but I still cried.........

"this is my giant stack of Koa..."
"this is my insane plumb pudding old growth mahogany..."
"these are my giant bookmatched slabs of madrone burl..."

this is me changing the channel before the remote stops working because it's getting drenched in drool :eek:

Patrick Taylor
06-08-2007, 5:07 PM
I have to admit...I thought you were pulling my leg for a minute there!;)

LOL, me too... :eek:

Pat Salter
06-14-2007, 9:17 PM

I just realized that this message may be seen as a negative voice concerning David Marks turning skills. It was not meant to be. I recieved an email from Mike saying:

"Mike Jackofsky wanted people to know that he has taught that class with David the last 2 years because it is a vessel hollowing class and that is what he does, and that it is not because David is not a good turner...he is. Also Mike wanted to mention that David is now teaching classes at his shop in Santa Rosa, so they can see for themselves about his shop and tools he uses. And Mike will be teaching a 3 day class on hollow vessels there on July 6-8, on his way home from demonstrating at the AAW symposium."

my apoligies to Mr. Marks and any of his fans that I may have offended with my statements. :o

Malcolm Tibbetts
06-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Interesting thread.

I've know David for at least 14 years. I first met him when I stopped in at his shop in Santa Rosa and purchased a few boards. A year ago (Feb), I taught a 3-day class on segmented turning at his shop. He and his wife were great hosts. At the time, I think I was one of the few "outsiders" to teach at his place. He has since expanded his offerings, with the goal of becoming a recognized woodworking school.

My TV cable company doesn't offer the DYI channel, so I'm not terribly familiar with his projects, but there are many TV pieces on display in his home.

Christopher K. Hartley
06-15-2007, 6:41 AM
One thing's for certain....if it had a pile of shavings all over it, at least it would come closer to being the right color.:D :D :D You mean Black and Gray, RIGHT?:D