PDA

View Full Version : A little remodeling at the Hatfield homestead....

Terry Hatfield
06-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Howdy everyone,

Well it's been quite a wild ride for this house remodel. I haven't posted anything or even read here very much as I've pretty much worked every waking moment on it since finishing the pulpit project for our church back in January. We took out about 1000 sq.ft. of carpet and 450 sq.ft. of tile and replaced most of it with Bruce engineered glue down hardwood. It is red oak and is in the natural finish. We did put new tile in front of the fireplace and in the entry ways and the kitchen. The wood floor install was done by a contractor buddy of mine from church. Man, that is ALOT of glue!!!! We also had an issue in the dining room. That room used to be the garage. We ended up having to cut out a 9'x19' chunk of the slab in front of what used to be the garage door and re-pour it to get things level enough to glue the hardwood. It was not much fun to have a hot saw and a jack hammer running in your dining room, especially in a house that basically has 1500 sq. ft. of open territory!!! :eek:

I made all new base trim and door casing for the entire main portion of the house and trimmed all the windows. It's all white oak as usual. I used my straight vertical raised panel bit to bevel the top portionof the moldings but other than that is is plain. The windows just had sheetrock returns before this. I also made a new mantle to display some of my planes. The most work for me was building all new interior doors. I still have one more to make for the master bath but that's for another time. The doors are 1 3/8" white oak with 3/4" plain sawn white oak ply panels that I cut to carefully cemter the repeats in the veneer in each door. Some material was wasted but I think it was worth it. The tops are arched to match the mission furniture I made for the living room a couple years back. The panels sit in grooves I made with the dado blade except for the arch tops. I made those grooves with a slot cutting bit in the router table. The stiles and rails are connected with mortise and loose tenon joints. I made a jig for the plunge router to make the mortises. It took a while but worked well. All of the doors are in a long narrow hallway and I figured out pretty quickly that they are very difficult to photograph so pardon the poor pics.

I also build a new pantry wall in the dining room. There were already cabinets in this location but they were pretty sad looking indeed. HJopefully these look a bit better. These are flat panel and arch top to match the interior doors and the living room furniture. There are 16 doors and 2 drawers under the center window seat. These were made with Woodline tounge and groove bits. The stiles and rails are solid white oak and the panels are 1/4" white oak ply. I again took time to cut the plywood for maximum "look" centering the repeat in each door and trying to match one to the other as well as possible. These cabinets are 84" tall and 19'6" long. They have all adjustable shelves and will havea some pull out tryays on full extension slides as soon as I get them done and in. It took a while to get all these inset doors and drawer fronts to fit!!!!

And here is the mantle. It is a 9' chunk of 2" thick white oak. The fireplace had a rouch cedar mantle and supports before.

We also changed all of the hardware on the kitchen and bath cabinets and entry doors to match what we put on the new stuff. All in all I am super pleased with the result but it was a TON of work. I still have to re-trim the master bedroom and make the master bath door and finish the pull out trays in the pantry but I'm going to take a little while off before that.

Thanks for looking,

t

Matt Meiser
06-05-2007, 10:29 AM
It all looks great, but I love those built-ins! We are getting ready to do something similar (but smaller) in our master bath and now I know I will like how it looks. Great job!

Mike Wilkins
06-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Looking good on the remodel. Very fine cabinet work.
As for the Bruce engineered floor: been there/done that. And will not do it again. My knees and back are still mad at me for this ordeal. And the mess with the adhesive is another story.
Would I go this route again. No No No. I love the look of real wood on the floor but there have been some problems with some planks losing their contact with the underlayment. Discovered there is a difference in sheen after installing another room about a year later. Bruce must have changed their topcoat supplier at some time. Too late to do anything about it.
Enough griping. Lets make some sawdust.

Roy Wall
06-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Looks like you're staying put for a while.........nice work!!

Matching the fields of the doors with similar paneling repeats was very well done.....good thinkin! Awesome work!!

Glenn Clabo
06-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Hey Terry...Nice work. Ain't this remodeling fun...never ending...but fun?

Mark Cothren
06-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Terry, that is some FANTASTIC work! Looks great! I bet your Mrs sure is happy about now...:D

Jason Roehl
06-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Outstanding, Terry!

I was beginning to wonder where you were these days...now we know!

Steve Clardy
06-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Been wondering where you have been...............................:D

Looks great Terry. I probably wouldn't reconize the place.

John Schreiber
06-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Nice work and boy do I understand the frustration of living in a house while it's being worked on.

Mark Hulette
06-05-2007, 1:59 PM
Hey Terry! Great to see you posting again. :D

Man, that is some nice work- love the doors and the hardware you've chosen! Neat flow of the mission theme throughout, too!

I'd like to see a shot of your shop as you were working all that oak- nah, it's still probably spotless! :D :D :D

Nice work and thanks for sharing!

Dave Ray
06-05-2007, 2:22 PM
Welcome home Terry, loved the pulpit and music thing you did for your church, was wondering what you were up to. Like you say, tons of work, but it sure looks good. I like your doors and that long run of cabinets, really nice work. Going thru major remodel here also, so can relate to havoc created in the house. Man what a crazy mess.

Terry Hatfield
06-05-2007, 9:13 PM
Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!

It seemed like a really long drawn out project even though I suppose a few months for such a big deal is not too bad. I really only have Saturday's and and ocassional week nite to work on the house. Sundays are just too jamb packed with church activities to do much of anything else and real work is still absorbing 10 to 12 hours every weekday. The dust and mess was just about more than I could stand at times. Cheryl really held me together and kept me going when I was ready to give up and just burn the place down. :D Living in the middle of this was tough for sure. Our house is very open. The entire area that we were working on is basically on big room with a couple of partial walls so there was no way to capture or even to hide from the mess. It was certainly worth it all in the end but there were some times in the middle of it all that that was hard to see.

Thanks,

t

Jim Becker
06-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Terry, that really looks great. And I love the doors...that little arch in the top is wonderful!

Randy Denby
06-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Very impressive and good looking too!

Don Bullock
06-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Terry, the result was certainly worth all the hard work, time, effort and even the mess. You did a fantastic job. Congratulations.

I greatly appreciate posts like this. My wife and I are planning on moving within the next two years and I have no idea what kind of remodeling I'm going to face. The more I see work like what you and others have done, the better off I'll be when I tackle a new place. Thanks for sharing.