PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 at Arrowmont with Alan Lacer

Chris Barton
06-05-2007, 6:47 AM
I thought I would put up a brief post about my first day (really the second) at Arrowmont. Alan Lacer is teaching the course and we have 12 people in the class. Jim Bliss (a great turner in his own right) is the instructional assistant. We actually began Sunday evening after the orientation class. Our studio is chock full of highend lathes including Oneways (1642, 2036, 2436), Stubbys, Vicmarks, PMs including a big 2442, and a funky Woodtek. I'm spending the week at the helm of a Oneway 2436 and it's been just fine so far. For those that love both mayo and mustard you will find hapiness at Arrowmont although it apears that all new arrivals and replacements in the future will be PM3520b...

I would have posted some pictures but, while I did remember to bring my new MacBook computer and camera, I left the camera cable at home, Doh!

Gatlinburg has been pretty so far (I'm talking about the land, not the never ending litany of tourist traps that line the road) and warm. Yesterday I spent 10 hours at the lathe and did nothing but spindle and endgrain work. We have several people in the class that are complete novices and some vetrans. We are blessed with several ladies in our group, they keep us more civilized...

More to follow...

Tyler Howell
06-05-2007, 7:55 AM
No pictures!!!
Didn't happen

charlie knighton
06-05-2007, 7:55 PM
any news apprieated, accomdations, meals, what would you have done to prepare for the couse after doing it (hindsight),:cool:

can you feel the envy??????

John Shuk
06-05-2007, 8:30 PM
After spending a few hours in Alan Lacer's demos at a symposium a few years back I was really blown away with what a great guy he is. Just a hint I think he can be bought off with Osage Orange.

Pete Jordan
06-05-2007, 8:33 PM
You are fufilling one of my dreams!

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-05-2007, 8:51 PM
Lucky You Chris,

Alan is a very fine teacher and I would love to take a class with him too, Arrowmont is on my list as well:)

Gordon Seto
06-05-2007, 9:49 PM
Sweet memory. A great experience. Besides the great time spent in the workshop, the displays in their permanent collections of great pieces are fantastic. They are all inspirational, reminding us an impossible goal to shoot for.

The picture was from last year at the end of the 2-week class after clean up. I would like to have one of those DC system at home. There were more Oneway, Stubby and General not in the picture.

We had Alan Lacer demoed at our Club. He is a much nicer teacher in person than through DVD.

Gordon

Chris Barton
06-06-2007, 6:50 AM
Great pic Gordon, my turning station is just out of the picture on the right (#6). I've taken many pictures and will put up a new post(s) with many pictures and complete review this weekend after I'm able to get home and download them from my camera. The latest twist is that Alan was sick for most of the day yesterday and Jim Bliss had to fill in for him. Alan came in for the afternoon but, suspected he may have the flu. This mainly concerned me because we have several folks in the class who are in their 70s or there abouts and who had not received flu vacinations. Quick lesson in public health... More to come.

Gordon Seto
06-06-2007, 8:39 AM
Chris,

Don't overlook the library. They have a good collection of turning related books. Some of them were out of print. I wished I had discovered them sooner.

Gordon

Mark Pruitt
06-06-2007, 1:26 PM
Gatlinburg has been pretty so far (I'm talking about the land, not the never ending litany of tourist traps that line the road) and warm.
Be sure to eat breakfast at the Pancake Pantry while you're there. It's worth the wait.

Chris Barton
06-06-2007, 5:35 PM
Be sure to eat breakfast at the Pancake Pantry while you're there. It's worth the wait.

Mark,

I agree on PP. We have one in Nashville and it's quite the treat.

CB