PDA

View Full Version : New family member arrives today--my first #8!

Jeffrey Larsen
06-05-2007, 1:50 AM
I recieved a beat up box today and it contained my ebay 50$ number 8 corrugated--Probably not a collectors piece, but in my opinion useable. All I had time do today was try it out and then work to sharpen things up a bit. The blade Has the "SW" mark on it. It had a lot of chips on it. I used (very carefully!!) a bench grinder to get it down to clean metal. Then I took a square and ground the business end until it was flat. Then back to the grinder. Finally, Because I don't have a guide to use on the grinder, I used a file to get the blade close to where it should be. The spend half an hour on a coarse stone. Finallyworked with some other stones and finally got out my "diamond" stones--I don't know what these really are, but for 6 dollars on ebay what the Hay.

Anyway, after my frenetic and amaturistic attack, the blade is not hair cutting sharp after the back of it was flattened on a fine stone.

It cuts great! The only question I have relates to the shape of the shaving--again, I tried to get the blade square. The shaving is about an inch across most of the time and comes from the very center of the blade. If I put it out further, the shaving is wider but not uniform.My thought on this is that the center of the blade is longer than the sides and that I need to work to get the blade quarer yet--I am tentatively planning on doing this by using the file on the center of the blade and then resharpening it.

As you can tell, I am very new at this and don't even know how to talk the talk. The info you all have shared so for has been invaluable. I am having to make do with some less than state of the art equipment because of finances at the moment, but will get sharpening stuff as that allows.

BTW, I have gathered that the grinder must be used judiciously to not screw up the temper of the metal in case anyone wondered.

One final question--are there any replacement blades that are more ecnomicallly priced than the Hock or LN blades That I could get that would be thicker than the original? Don't want to spend more on a blade than the plane cost to begin with:eek: !!

Over and out, Jeff

Mike Henderson
06-05-2007, 2:18 AM
Congratulations on your new plane. To check the blade, just put a straightedge against the bottom of the blade to see if you're sharpening it straight across. You should also try to make the edge square with the sides of the blade, but a little bit of error here won't matter because you have the lateral adjustment lever.

You probably don't need a new blade. A #8 is a jointer so the thin original blade will work fine for you once you get it sharpened properly. The thicker blades are useful on a smoother but don't make much difference on a jointer.

You need to get some education on sharpening, and perhaps some waterstones. Diamond stones are not for putting a finished edge on a blade - they're actually quite coarse and are generally used to shape a tool, with the final honing being done with a fine (maybe 5000 to 8000) waterstone. I would also recommend that you purchase a honing guide like the Veritas MKII. It will make it easy to get a straight edge on the blade and also square to the sides.

If there's someone close to you who can give you some assistance with sharpening, it would be a good use of your time.

A #8 is a fairly special purpose plane and you may find that you don't use it a great deal.

Good luck!

Mike