PDA

View Full Version : New tools are in - Blue and Grey.

Mike Heidrick
06-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Good tool acquizitions the past couple days.
First up is a Puma compressor (HF Brand) that I bought from a member on woodnet. Puma 6hp 60gal. I added the feet, new drainage line (after I broke off the original because there were no feet :slap: - pretty fun extracting that fitting ), and added a line filter and regulator. I did not buy the oiler because I am not sure all my tools would want it.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/puma.jpg
Next up is the DC-580 I have been trying to buy for three weeks. Amazon cancelled my 1st order after my bank refused the transaction when I tried to pay cash. Amazon said there was a price mistake (a la Jessem MAST R Slide table a few weeks ago) and they could not sell it to me for $2102. They gave me a $50 credit for my troubles (had to cancel a special order HDC-580 HTC base) and sent me on my way. Two weeks latter it was back on sale and this time I used the $50 off the $2102 price so I paid less than the price mistake. Too funny. Shipping was steep at $299 but well worth it - lift gate into the shop is soooo awesome - this is a HEAVY planer at about 1000lbs. HTC went ahead and made the base so when I reordered it the second time it shipped out right away. Here is the result of the games. Still have to clean it up and install the dust hood and the handle on the side height wheel. Johnny helped me do all the lifting/work getting it off the pallets and into the stand. Planer came with two lift points wich made lifting it very safe and simple.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/planer1.jpg

Tim Malyszko
06-05-2007, 7:53 AM
Nice pickup. I love that planer. If I had the space, I'd pick one up myself along with an aircraft carrier sized jointer.

Its funny how Amazon.com works with their pricing.

Bernhard Lampert
06-05-2007, 9:35 AM
Mike,

Curious what you think about the Delta planer. I bought the 3-phase model from amazon when it was on sale last year. Shipping, pickup etc all went well. Also, they sure did not skimp on cosmoline.
BUT the fit and finish of the planer leaves a lot to be desired. Making the bed parallel is next to impossible. The bed is adjusted with coarse thread bolts and nuts. The bolts/nuts have so much backlash that adjustment is a trial and error exercise that took the better part of a day...I still have not been able to get it parallel and co-planar. It's almost 1 mm off. The quality of the castings is also not the best: very soft, the inside still has cast release compound on it.
The motor is some Chinese brand and has a huge inrush current on start up. I had to do some re-wiring on the supply side. For comparison, my 7.5 hp Felder does not need the start up amps that the 5-hp chinese motor requires.
I can't complain about the price (it was on sale), but I am disappointed in the quality. I guess Delta is not was it used to be.
On the bright side, it does plane wood.
Cheers,
Bernhard

Mike Shoemaker
06-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Nice additions