PDA

View Full Version : gift pens

Jeffrey Fusaro
06-04-2007, 11:48 PM
here are some pens that i recently made as gifts.

- three junior gentlemen's pens in mopani wood for my daughter's pre-school teachers.

- one junior gentlemen's pen in brown ebony for her speech therapist.

- one cigar pen for her occupational therapist (had an 'oops' on her junior gentlemen's pen - she'll never know).

- one junior gentlemen's pens in mopani for my brother in law's birthday.

- one junior gentlemen's pens in mopani for my sister in law - because i'd catch heck if she didn't finally get a pen, too.

all pen kits came from csusa.

all pens were finished with two coats of sanding sealer followed by three coats of general finishes oil and polyurethane satin sheen.

comments and critiques welcome.

thanks for looking.

Jonathon Spafford
06-05-2007, 1:45 AM
Great looking pens... I like the kit! It has a simple classy look to it! The wood variety is nice as is the finish! Great work!

Ron Raymond
06-05-2007, 8:50 AM
Great work, Jeffrey...every pen a beauty!

Ken LaSota
06-05-2007, 9:56 AM
Jeffery great looking pens any recipient will be proud.
Ken

Ron Mitchell
06-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Jeffrey,

beautiful work on all of the pens...thanks for showing them

Montgomery Scott
06-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Those are nicely made pens, but I'm curious why you chose such an ordinary wood.

Patrick Taylor
06-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Very nice work! I'd be proud to receive one. The finish looks great.

Jeffrey Fusaro
06-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Those are nicely made pens, but I'm curious why you chose such an ordinary wood.

i didn't think that the wood selection was ordinary.

i was looking for wood that complimented, and didn't overpower the simplicity of the pen kits.

Keith Burns
06-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Jeffrey, they are all excellent pens. I like the wood and the straight forward simplicity of the pens. I find that a lot of pens just have to much going on with their designs. I think the way you have done these is what a collector would choose.

Barry Moyer
06-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Jeff,
Good looking pens. I am just getting started in turning pens. I have not done one yet. Do you have a recommended supplier you use and a list items you need besides the lathe and mandrels?
Thanks,
Barry

Jeffrey Fusaro
06-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Jeff,
Good looking pens. I am just getting started in turning pens. I have not done one yet. Do you have a recommended supplier you use and a list items you need besides the lathe and mandrels?
Thanks,
Barry

barry--

i get all of my pen kits, bushings, and other pen turning goodies from craft supply.

go here to start your adventure;

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/

some folks say that their prices are a bit high, but i have been extremenly pleased with the quality of the items purchased and the customer service that they have provided.

i use a roughing gouge and a spindle master to turn my pen blanks.

i use the finishes stated. i don't do anything too fancy. i have not tried the CA finishes, as i can barely tolerate the smell of that adhesive.

i drill my pen blanks on a drill press, and use a small vice to hold the blanks.

i recommend getting some of the barrel trimming tools from craft supply to square up the blanks after inserting the brass tubes.

i also bought a pen turning technique book written by barry gross. well worth the money. he took all the mystery out of pen turning.

i usually sand my pen blanks up to 600 grit, and then apply the finish. i have some micro mesh cloth, but i haven't used it on any wooden pens, yet. i am going to try some acrylic soon, and i wanted to save the micro mesh for that application.

i hope this helps. let me know if you have any more questions. i'll try to answer as best i can. i'm no expert. i've only made about 15 pens, so far.

Jeffrey Fusaro
06-05-2007, 12:44 PM
hey, all--

thanks for the feedback.

i appreciate all of the comments and questions.

thanks again, for looking.