PDA

View Full Version : Help, sharpening advice needed...

paul ashman
06-04-2007, 10:30 PM
I am a new turner, and am very happy with my Jet 1220 ( the headstock gets warm though, and I have made sure the belt is not too tight--any advice there?) but the real problem I am having is getting tools sharp. I am a chef, and teach at a local college. My personal knives are Japanese damascus steel, and I sharpen them (not very often, they really hold an edge) on waterstones. But I am having a problem getting a good edge on my chisels, I have a grinder, and made a simple jig by using a 2" wide by 24" long and 3/8" thick piece of poplar with a stop at one end to hold the tool. I have then simply set the angle and clamped the wood in place. I don't want to ruin my tools, so I am looking at the wolverine system and want to know what experience anyone has had with it or should I steer in another direction.
A bit long-winded I know, but thanks!

Doug Thompson
06-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Paul,
The Wolverine jig and vari-grind attachment is a good sharpening system... In my book the only one to buy. I think Packard still has a $150 package, to me was worth the money.

Do you have a 8 inch grinder to use with it?

paul ashman
06-04-2007, 10:59 PM
I have a 6" grinder, will I need an 8" one for the wolverine?

Bill Bolen
06-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Will work just fine with a 6" grinder. You may have to shim the grinder though. Included instructions should give the the measurement you need.

paul ashman
06-05-2007, 8:07 PM
Hopefully the issue is solved, I ordered a slow speed 8" gronder and wolverine system from Woodcraft, on sale and no shipping charges!
Thanks for the help.

Kurt Whitley
06-05-2007, 8:30 PM
Paul,

Go hear and download the videos and you'll be ready to go when your sharpening system comes in!

http://www.oneway.on.ca/multi-media/index.htm

Cheers,
Kurt