PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Grizzly 4hp Shaper. Workhorse?

Caleb Dietrich
06-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Hello,
I'm looking into buying a 1987 Grizzly 3hp shaper. The current owner is the first owner. He's 72. Used it once. Shot a piece of wood across his basement, and gave up on it. It still has the parrafin film on the top from the factory. It runs as smooth as the new Delta we just got at work.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with "vintage" Grizzly. Are they as good, better, or worse then the machines they produce these days?

Will I be able to find spindles and collets for it? are they fairly universal?

I appreciate all responses...Thanks

Joe Chritz
06-05-2007, 11:03 AM
I have an older 2" belt grinder from Grizzly. Not that old but probably around 92 or so. It works well and still runs great.

I assume the shaper is the same as the new model, which I have and like a lot. A call the their tech department should be able to tell you if the parts are the same..

Mine came with a 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch spindle. Honestly I either have the router bit collet or the 3/4 in place. It is nice to be able to use the other sizes if you stumble across some used tooling somewhere.

Joe

Bob Aquino
06-05-2007, 1:49 PM
Hello,
I'm looking into buying a 1987 Grizzly 3hp shaper. The current owner is the first owner. He's 72. Used it once. Shot a piece of wood across his basement, and gave up on it. It still has the parrafin film on the top from the factory. It runs as smooth as the new Delta we just got at work.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with "vintage" Grizzly. Are they as good, better, or worse then the machines they produce these days?

Will I be able to find spindles and collets for it? are they fairly universal?

I appreciate all responses...Thanks

Which model is it, the 1026? I had an older griz shaper, it was ok. Bought it with the intention of using it wit router bits and some shaper cutters. Had all the spindles and I bought the adapter for the router bits. Ran smooth enough, things like the cutter elevation were very tight and uneven. Fence was not impressive on it either. When I got mine it was about 5 or more years old and that was about 5-7 years ago. I managed to sell it on ebay for about what I paid for it. Replaced it with a small benchdog table which does what I need it to do and doesnt take up the space the shaper did.