PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Vase

Keith Burns
06-04-2007, 8:40 PM
A new form for me anyway. This piece of Box Elder measures 10" tall x 5" dia. Finished with wipe on gel poly and beall buffed. Please give me a critique as I truly value your feedback. Thanks for looking.

Mike A. Smith
06-04-2007, 9:57 PM
I'm not qualified to give a critique, but I wanted to say I really like it.

Jim Becker
06-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Very nice continuous curves and good proportion, Keith! Excellent piece...now...go do some more.... :D

Jonathon Spafford
06-05-2007, 1:38 AM
Great piece... it has a nice shape and it looks delicate! I like it a lot! What did you hollow it out with?

Frank Kobilsek
06-05-2007, 9:27 AM
Keith

Good job with a kinda boring piece of wood, at least by your recent standards. What I am impressed with is you are getting taller! There is a heck of a difference between a 5 to 7 inch tall HF and a 10" tall piece when you are hollowing.

Frank

Ken LaSota
06-05-2007, 9:53 AM
Keith I have only done 1 HF so I can't say much except I think it looks great. The stlye is very nice the color is a little pale but I like it overall. Is the piece top heavy?
Ken

Mike Vickery
06-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Keith I always love to give critiques but I have nothing to offer on this. The piece is stunning and the form is simple elegance.

Nancy Laird
06-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Keith, this one goes into my favorites folder!! Stunning! I can see this one sitting in the middle of the dining table full of white lilies!! Beautiful.

Nancy

Mark Pruitt
06-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Keith,
That has a nice flow and continuity to it. I think it's great! The only thing I would offer would be possibly some texturing. But I'm prone to think that way since I have a texturing tool and am always in search of opportunities to justify having purchased it.:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
06-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Keith, very nice vase! Great form and finish.

You've turned HFs, I really haven't - but wanted to suggest a slight design modification on the lip of your vase and see what you think of it.

IF I'm off base on this - please let me know.

Jeffrey Fusaro
06-05-2007, 12:54 PM
keith--

sweet hollow form! nice finish, too!

if i were to offer one thought... i wonder what it might look like if you removed the collar all together. what if you just blended the shoulder contour all the way toward the opening???

i don't have any of that digital wood putty that steve used, so i can't make a picture to describe my intent.

good job!

Keith Burns
06-05-2007, 1:59 PM
Keith, very nice vase! Great form and finish.

You've turned HFs, I really haven't - but wanted to suggest a slight design modification on the lip of your vase and see what you think of it.

IF I'm off base on this - please let me know.

Steve, you are not off base. This type of feedback is what I like although I can't do it on this one it is in my mind now and will probably give it a try on the next one. I do like your suggestion by the way.

Keith Burns
06-05-2007, 2:03 PM
keith--

sweet hollow form! nice finish, too!

if i were to offer one thought... i wonder what it might look like if you removed the collar all together. what if you just blended the shoulder contour all the way toward the opening???

i don't have any of that digital wood putty that steve used, so i can't make a picture to describe my intent.

good job!

Jeffrey, I appreciate your suggestion as well. My first intent was to do it as you described with an ebony collar but this is where I ended up.

I wish I could turn wood with my computer like Steve does:D

Jim Ketron
06-05-2007, 3:19 PM
Nice Piece Keith!

Curt Fuller
06-05-2007, 7:34 PM
That's a beauty of a form and you've done a great job with it. Like someone else said, the wood is a little on the bland side but that might be what makes the form look so good. The plain figure and grain let the form do its thing.

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2007, 1:34 PM
Keith that is another beauty. I like the form and finish. Form gives me a idea for the son and dil for their fire place mantel. That type of form would fit just fine on it. Nice job.

Joseph Peacock
06-10-2007, 3:31 PM
WOW!!! Very nice!!!!!!:D ;) :cool: