PDA

View Full Version : Pecan

Steven Triggs
06-04-2007, 7:53 PM
I'm considering buying some rough cut pecan for $0.70/bd ft. It would be just to add to my general supply of wood for "as yet to be determined" projects.

2 questions:

1. What is this stuff like to work with? I know it is supposed to be very hard, and rates kind of poorly on the "machinable" scales that I've found on the web. Has anyone worked with it? If using power tools, does it work well? Does it hold a nice, clean edge?

2. Does $0.70 seem like a good price?

Cody Colston
06-04-2007, 8:05 PM
I'd buy any hard wood at .70 per bd ft and Pecan is a HARD wood! It's almost indistinguishable from Hickory and can be tough on tools but no more so than any other hard hardwood. Personally, I like it for both color and crispness of detail.

Mike Henderson
06-04-2007, 8:17 PM
Wow - $0.70 per board foot is a terrific price for pecan.

I've used pecan for furniture and it works fine. It is hard but if you're using power tools, that's not a problem.

Mike

[added note] I just went back and checked my records, and I paid $4.50/bd-ft for 8/4 pecan.

Scott Thornton
06-04-2007, 8:44 PM
Basically interchangeable with hickory, hard, heavy and can dull tools quicker than most woods. Looks nice, good wood for many projects...At that price, I'd buy up as much as you can...

Larry Fox
06-04-2007, 9:39 PM
And find a local BBQ guy to sell your offcuts to and you just might make $$ on the deal at that price. :)

Richard M. Wolfe
06-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Seventy cents is, like the others say, is a great price for any hardwood. A friend and I are setting up a business milling native woods and selling the wood and making items from the wood. (My friend runs the mill and just finished milling about 200 pecans last week). I've looked around the net and pecan usually sells for around $3.50 a foot.

I've made several pieces from it and had no problems particular to it. It's very hard so you need tooling that will handle it, but that's what hardwoods are about. The heartwood darkens considerably with age and is noted for having dark streaks and especially for being 'pecky'.

Gary Tenney
06-05-2007, 4:03 AM
Steven,
Where in Georgia is this located and are you buying the whole enchilada? I live in Ellijay about 1.5 hours north of Atlanta and am always looking for a good source for hardwoods. I have never worked with Pecan, but had a beautiful high end dining room set before Hurricane Katrina that was Pecan. Very beautiful color and texture.

Gary Herrmann
06-05-2007, 4:07 AM
Buy it and ask if they have more.

Bill Leonard
06-05-2007, 7:26 AM
Steven,
At $.70 bf I am interested in all that you don't purchase.

Barry Beech
06-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Like others have said, at that price buy all you can store.

Pecan, is a very hard and an extremely heavy wood. It machines very well but it does have a tendency to splinter. It it also very blotchy if you try to stain. I had my best success with a gel stain.

Also, like others have also said it is very good for smoking food.

Good luck.

Steven Triggs
06-05-2007, 1:23 PM
Unfortunately, I was too slow. :( I emailed the guy last night to set up a time, and it was already gone. He only had it listed for part of a day. I guess someone else agreed that it was too good to pass up.

Michael Pfau
06-05-2007, 5:46 PM
Steve, if you are a turner, pecan is nice as well. For 70 cents a bf, a guy can afford to dull some blades! You have any left, ship it west to me! hahah...

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-05-2007, 9:36 PM
If I could get it in 12 to 16 quarters, at twice that price, I'd be squeeling tires to get there. That's the Spinny in me talking!

Bruce

Richard Butler
06-06-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm considering buying some rough cut pecan for $0.70/bd ft. It would be just to add to my general supply of wood for "as yet to be determined" projects.

2 questions:

1. What is this stuff like to work with? I know it is supposed to be very hard, and rates kind of poorly on the "machinable" scales that I've found on the web. Has anyone worked with it? If using power tools, does it work well? Does it hold a nice, clean edge?

2. Does $0.70 seem like a good price?

If it is good pecan $0.70 is a giveaway price. Any good hardwood boards are worth much more than that.

I bought some pecan a few months ago that is worth about $0.70 a bd foot. Much of it is ending up as sawdust or trash. Never again. I will pay the price for good wood and forget the "bargains".

A man can go broke trying to save a buck.